Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Scheyer Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    You need to perform some sort of major un-jinx immediately. Knock on several pieces of wood!
    I don't really believe in the superstitious stuff - but one positive aspect to our loss to GT is that I finally get to change my underwear.

Okay, I'm knocking on wood for Jon.
    Bob Green

BTW, Scheyer is now at 1,650 career points, which moved him past Ronnie Mayer into 20th place all-time at Duke. Next up is Randy Denton at 1,658, and then you start to get into some serious names: Bobby Hurley (1,731); Bob Verga (1,758); Jeff Mullins (1,884); Dick Groat (1,886); Grant Hill (1,924) and on and on and on ...

BTW, Scheyer is now at 1,650 career points, which moved him past Ronnie Mayer into 20th place all-time at Duke. Next up is Randy Denton at 1,658, and then you start to get into some serious names: Bobby Hurley (1,731); Bob Verga (1,758); Jeff Mullins (1,884); Dick Groat (1,886); Grant Hill (1,924) and on and on and on ...
    Hey Randy Denton is a serious name! He was my first, favorite Duke player!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Hey Randy Denton is a serious name! He was my first, favorite Duke player!!
    That's what I was thinking too! He only played three years (frosh not eligible), but he was outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    That's what I was thinking too! He only played three years (frosh not eligible), but he was outstanding.
    That is almost understatement. He has a career average of 19.7 ppg and 12.7 rpg. Those are rare stats in any era.

True meaning of the word "serious"

When you consider that Denton, Verga, Mullins and Groat put those numbers up in 3 years instead 4 years------and that there was no 3 point shot, I think that's where the definition of "serious" is serious.

Let us not forget that with those 3 year players there were routinely fewer games played per year, also.

And by the way, how many of the players ahead of those just mentioned played for 4 years, and with the 3 point shot existing?

ricks
    Last edited by ricks68; 01-10-2010 at 11:22 PM. Reason: added a sentence

Finally found where the weather suits my clothes – and settled down in Brentwood, CA

Jumbo, I think you really stepped in it this time!

Jumbo, I really appreciate all the effort you put into your role as moderator on this board, including all the work involved in the countdown to 2000 points for Scheyer, charting each game, and especially your attempts to bring rational thinking to the discussion when people get over the top on doomsaying the Devils. So I'm willing to believe you must have just been a bit tired with your (surely unconscious) dissing of Randy Denton. That guy was a stud!

In addition to accomplishing all he did on the court those years were a tumultuous times for basketball at Duke. Not only did Vic Bubas announce his resignation as head coach in the middle of Denton's Duke career, but his replacement, Bucky Waters, was not well received by some/many members of the team. It was widely known/rumored on campus at thet time that several/many of players on the team were in open disagreement with Waters. So Denton's last two years were played under some contentious circumstances that surely impacted his play, and thus his stats. In fact, it wasn't until Bill Foster came to Duke a few years after Denton left that Duke got back to the high standard of competition that Bubas had first created.

BTW, if memory serves me, I believe he also ended up marrying Bubas' daughter (although that, of course, has no relevance to his on-court play).

Grey Devil

(P.S. Jumbo, keep up the good work!)

Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Devil View Post
    Jumbo, I really appreciate all the effort you put into your role as moderator on this board, including all the work involved in the countdown to 2000 points for Scheyer, charting each game, and especially your attempts to bring rational thinking to the discussion when people get over the top on doomsaying the Devils. So I'm willing to believe you must have just been a bit tired with your (surely unconscious) dissing of Randy Denton. That guy was a stud!

In addition to accomplishing all he did on the court those years were a tumultuous times for basketball at Duke. Not only did Vic Bubas announce his resignation as head coach in the middle of Denton's Duke career, but his replacement, Bucky Waters, was not well received by some/many members of the team. It was widely known/rumored on campus at thet time that several/many of players on the team were in open disagreement with Waters. So Denton's last two years were played under some contentious circumstances that surely impacted his play, and thus his stats. In fact, it wasn't until Bill Foster came to Duke a few years after Denton left that Duke got back to the high standard of competition that Bubas had first created.

BTW, if memory serves me, I believe he also ended up marrying Bubas' daughter (although that, of course, has no relevance to his on-court play).

Grey Devil

(P.S. Jumbo, keep up the good work!)
    Yeah, certainly didn't mean to take away from Denton. His career numbers were remarkable, and it's important to remember how many guys -- including Denton -- produced such lofty totals in only 3 years. I just meant that as far as "names" go at Duke, his isn't usually mentioned in the same group as that next list of guys. Not saying that's correct, just that it's the way things are perceived. And thanks for the props!

Finally found where the weather suits my clothes – and settled down in Brentwood, CA

Thanks!

Yeah, certainly didn't mean to take away from Denton. His career numbers were remarkable, and it's important to remember how many guys -- including Denton -- produced such lofty totals in only 3 years. I just meant that as far as "names" go at Duke, his isn't usually mentioned in the same group as that next list of guys. Not saying that's correct, just that it's the way things are perceived. And thanks for the props!
    I guess there are a few of us old codgers around from those days that like to remind folks once in a while that excellent basketball was played at Duke before the Coach K era....and that some of those names should be mentioned more often (which you did, thank you very much!). So thanks for including his name on the list of those yet to be passed so that he could be remembered...and folks could be reminded.

Grey Devil

Randy did not play for Bubas

I agree with all the raves about Randy Denton, who was either Mutt or Jeff (can't remember who was who there) to Dick DiVenzio, (they were a great combination) but he did not play for Vic Bubas. Bucky was head coach when RD arrived, IIRC.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Actually though, Denton is mentioned a lot by the older fans when discussing players from that era, especially the local fans here. He played in the era just before my first memory of games so I have few memories of him, but I always hear high praise on Denton from those that saw him.

Quote Originally Posted by fogey View Post
    I agree with all the raves about Randy Denton, who was either Mutt or Jeff (can't remember who was who there) to Dick DiVenzio, (they were a great combination) but he did not play for Vic Bubas. Bucky was head coach when RD arrived, IIRC.
    Not quite correct. Denton and DeVenzio were sophomores on Coach Bubas's last Duke team in 1968-69.

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketba...season=1968-69

Quote Originally Posted by fogey View Post
    Sorry to have to correct you, but both Randy and Dick were in my class and they had two years when Bubas was there and two years with Waters. Dick's best year was his sophomore year and it all went downhill from there. Randy was consistently good all three years he played varsity.

For your viewing pleasure, here's a picture of Vandenburg, Lind, Devenzio, and Denton on the bench with Bubas standing to the right. I think Dave Golden is probably on the left behind the guy standing and clapping (Golden usually was in the starting lineup then). Warren(?) Chapman and Rick Katherman are behind Bubas. I think this picture was taken at the Carolina game when Bubas retired (a year after the famous "Freddie Lind Game").

Grey Devil
    Attached Images Attached Images

Get out the magnifying glass

I might be somewhere in the picture about 4 or five rows back and to the right----but then, I might not.

ricks

1662 now, right?

Yo, Jumbo, where is your scoring average for 2000 update?

-Jason "not Scheyer's best game, but he still managed to get a dozen points in a game where his shot was certainly off" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Devil View Post
    In fact, it wasn't until Bill Foster came to Duke a few years after Denton left that Duke got back to the high standard of competition that Bubas had first created.

Grey Devil
    Vic's daughter Sandy married Duke '72 basketball player Stuart Yarborough. Knew them both back in the day.

Seems to me that I read that Mark Alarie and Yarborough work together as principals for a venture capital firm in the DC area.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    1662 now, right?

Yo, Jumbo, where is your scoring average for 2000 update?

-Jason "not Scheyer's best game, but he still managed to get a dozen points in a game where his shot was certainly off" Evans
    Ya know, Evans, some people actually have to work every now and then ...

Here's the update:

Scheyer didn't help his cause with only 12 points against BC, but he did pass Randy Denton to move into 19th place on Duke's all-time list. He's now 338 points away from 2,000 career points. His four assists and one turnover put his A/TO for the season at 97/21 or 4.6:1. Here's the current countdown to 2K info:

17 more games = 19.88 ppg for 2,000
    18 games = 18.78 ppg for 2,000
    19 games = 17.79 ppg for 2,000
    20 games = 16.90 ppg for 2,000
    21 games = 16.10 ppg for 2,000
    22 games = 15.36 ppg for 2,000
    23 games = 14.70 ppg for 2,000
    24 games = 14.08 ppg for 2,000

Jumbo, thanks for the update, and I apologize for creating such a uproar over Denton. I was only pulling your chain. Denton was the first player I really remember from going to the games as a kid and I remember him being a beast under the basket. Having said that, LET's GO JON!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    It is starting to appear that Jon Scheyer will easily break the 2,000 point mark. I went back and reviewed the first page of this thread where most posters expressed doubt that Scheyer could get it done. Times have changed. Currently, Scheyer has Big Mo on his side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I don't really believe in the superstitious stuff - but one positive aspect to our loss to GT is that I finally get to change my underwear.

Okay, I'm knocking on wood for Jon.
    All I'm going to say is this: Green, you'd better fix this. Fix it now.

Jon Scheyer's statistical brilliance took a major hit again tonight against Wake Forest. His first single-digit scoring performance of the season didn't help him much on his quest for 2K points -- he's still 329 points away. And he committed 4 turnovers (at least he had 6 assists), putting his season A/TO ratio at 103/25, or 4.12:1. If that's not enough, Scheyer is just 8-for-33 from 3-point range in ACC play, and I'm having flashbacks to last year's slump. So before I get to the countdown, let me repeat myself: Green, you'd better fix this!

16 more games = 20.56 ppg for 2,000
    17 games = 19.35 ppg for 2,000
    18 games = 18.28 ppg for 2,000
    19 games = 17.32 ppg for 2,000
    20 games = 16.45 ppg for 2,000
    21 games = 15.67 ppg for 2,000
    22 games = 14.95 ppg for 2,000
    23 games = 14.30 ppg for 2,000

All I'm going to say is this: Green, you'd better fix this. Fix it now.

Jon Scheyer's statistical brilliance took a major hit again tonight against Wake Forest. His first single-digit scoring performance of the season didn't help him much on his quest for 2K points -- he's still 329 points away. And he committed 4 turnovers (at least he had 6 assists), putting his season A/TO ratio at 103/25, or 4.12:1. If that's not enough, Scheyer is just 8-for-33 from 3-point range in ACC play, and I'm having flashbacks to last year's slump. So before I get to the countdown, let me repeat myself: Green, you'd better fix this!

16 more games = 20.56 ppg for 2,000
    17 games = 19.35 ppg for 2,000
    18 games = 18.28 ppg for 2,000
    19 games = 17.32 ppg for 2,000
    20 games = 16.45 ppg for 2,000
    21 games = 15.67 ppg for 2,000
    22 games = 14.95 ppg for 2,000
    23 games = 14.30 ppg for 2,000
    Uh, I don't know. The visual imagery of him fixing it is not pleasant....but probably worth if it works and Scheyer gets back on track!

The take-away from the Wake game for me, however, is that Scheyer may not need to have such a high PPG because it looks like we'll be making a deeper run in both tournaments now that other players are stepping up and we will not be so dependent on Earth (Singler), Wind (Smith), and Scheyer.

Grey Devil