Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Detroit Lions Win!

My Lions just won their 2nd game! Nothing like two basement dwellers trading punches.

Victorious in the "Battle of Lake Erie"!!!!

Blazin! Can ya hear me?!

Congrads I hope the lions win all of their games unless they're playing my new york teams of course.

Don't call for, Blazin. He's apparently become a Cowboys fan now, too.

DW, I know that football has been cruel to you this year, but cheering for Dallas is not the answer. It's a one way ticket to a Crying Game shower. There is still hope. Renounce the Cowboys while there is still time!

Your Friend,
    Juise

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    Don't call for, Blazin. He's apparently become a Cowboys fan now, too.

DW, I know that football has been cruel to you this year, but cheering for Dallas is not the answer. It's a one way ticket to a Crying Game shower. There is still hope. Renounce the Cowboys while there is still time!

Your Friend,
    Juise
    First off, let me join weezie in celebrating...

WHOOO HOOOOO! YAAAAY! YES YES YES YES BABY WHOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!

Ok, now to Juise's remarks...I've been a secondary Cowboys fan for years, ever since I lived there for a couple years. It helped that I moved down there and in the 4 years my family was there (me and my brother for 2 of them), the Cowboys won 3 Super Bowls. I never ever ever root for them against the Lions.

Now, I can travel to my parents' house in Ohio (they live halfway between Cleveland and Columbus) and wear nothing but Detroit Lions gear the entire time I'm there. You think I'm kidding...
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

I'm happy for Detroit. I'm also happy that my Redskins are not the only team to lose to the Lions! Congrats.

Oh and being a secondary Cowboys fan is akin to being a secondary Tarheel fan (well, at least in my book)

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Oh and being a secondary Cowboys fan is akin to being a secondary Tarheel fan (well, at least in my book)
    As an Eagles fan, I concur. Though I understand that it's not exactly analogous since his primary team is an NFC North team, while ours are rivals to the Cowboys in the NFC East.

To be fair, I know that DW is a stand-up guy when it comes to football cheering. He was pulling for the Blue Devils yesterday over his law school alma mater Miami. I'm sure it would be easy to switch allegiances to a program that has a lower probability of breaking your heart (over and over again).

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    As an Eagles fan, I concur. Though I understand that it's not exactly analogous since his primary team is an NFC North team, while ours are rivals to the Cowboys in the NFC East.

To be fair, I know that DW is a stand-up guy when it comes to football cheering. He was pulling for the Blue Devils yesterday over his law school alma mater Miami. I'm sure it would be easy to switch allegiances to a program that has a lower probability of breaking your heart (over and over again).
    I have my allegiances...and I rep them hard, to the end, no matter what!

EDIT: I changed the title of this thread, because the Lions deserve their own thread every once in a while!
    Last edited by blazindw; 11-22-2009 at 11:16 PM.

2003-2004 HLM

crazy finish

To get back on topic, what a bizarre finish.

When I first heard that the Lions survived because of a pass interference penalty on the final-play Hail Mary, my reaction was negative -- there's so much bumping that goes on in that situation that it's got to be a blatant penalty to warrent the call.

But after seeing the highlights later, I have to admit it was a fair call -- the defender and one receiver were slightly behind the scrum. The ball was coming long and the defender (with his back to the play) simply pushed the deep receiver out the back of the end zone. A stupid play ... not a bad call.

Even after that, the Lions still had to score the touchdown on the one un-timed play from the one -- and it took a great throw (from a QB with an injured shoulder) and catch to make it happen.

Not a Lions fan, but a gritty performance in the clutch. You guys SHOULD celebrate.

One OT here -- as crazy as the Browns-Lions finish was, it was NOTHING compared to the unbelievable LSU-Ole Miss ending. Have you guys ever seen a worse case of clock management than Les Miles offered Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    To get back on topic, what a bizarre finish.

When I first heard that the Lions survived because of a pass interference penalty on the final-play Hail Mary, my reaction was negative -- there's so much bumping that goes on in that situation that it's got to be a blatant penalty to warrent the call.

But after seeing the highlights later, I have to admit it was a fair call -- the defender and one receiver were slightly behind the scrum. The ball was coming long and the defender (with his back to the play) simply pushed the deep receiver out the back of the end zone. A stupid play ... not a bad call.

Even after that, the Lions still had to score the touchdown on the one un-timed play from the one -- and it took a great throw (from a QB with an injured shoulder) and catch to make it happen.

Not a Lions fan, but a gritty performance in the clutch. You guys SHOULD celebrate.

One OT here -- as crazy as the Browns-Lions finish was, it was NOTHING compared to the unbelievable LSU-Ole Miss ending. Have you guys ever seen a worse case of clock management than Les Miles offered Saturday?
    Stafford certainly won over a lot of fans with his grit in the final moments of yesterday's game. That's the type of play that Detroit fans love and appreciate...blue collar, hard work, popped-out-shoulders-won't-stop-me attitude. I haven't been the biggest Stafford fan this year, but that determination yesterday was something I have to commend him for.

And yes, Les Miles has gone some 'xplainin to do. That playcalling was absolutely the worst I've seen in a long long time.

2003-2004 HLM

I'm going to party like its 1999! (The last time the Lions made the playoffs)

Now that we finally have a front office that can draft, we start losing the battles for draft position

The Lions are only an offensive line, a defensive line, a running back, a secondary and a couple of receivers away from respectability!

The Browns should trade Brady Quinn immediately, he will NEVER look better than yesterday, and his value never higher than this week. At least fabricate a season ending injury so he won't ruin his trade value until he can be traded.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    The Lions are only an offensive line, a defensive line, a running back, a secondary and a couple of receivers away from respectability!
    I love your optimism. Ah that was optimism, right?

My Redskins are only an offensive line and Calvin Johnson way from the playoffs!

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    EDIT: I changed the title of this thread, because the Lions deserve their own thread every once in a while!
    I'm glad you did. I tend to be a little apprehensive when I venture to draw attention to my Lions. It's a pretty old habit, kind of an conditioned reflex

Congratulations, Weezie and all Lions fans!

Is it a sign of the apocalypse that the Lions and the chiefs won on the same day?

And, Elvis14, your Redskins unfortunately lost to the chiefs also. Not a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Congratulations, Weezie and all Lions fans!

Is it a sign of the apocalypse that the Lions and the chiefs won on the same day?

And, Elvis14, your Redskins unfortunately lost to the chiefs also. Not a good thing.
    Yeah, lots of not good things for my Redskins this year. Once again...it's 'maybe next year'. My wife says I'll never learn. Sadly, she's right

Really enjoyed the highlights of the Lion's game. Heroic play by Stafford at the end. That's how you become a fan favorite. Congrats again on the win.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    ... Is it a sign of the apocalypse that the Lions and the chiefs won on the same day? ...
    Not unless the Raiders were to win on the same day.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Not unless the Raiders were to win on the same day.
    They won too

2003-2004 HLM

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Yeah, lots of not good things for my Redskins this year. Once again...it's 'maybe next year'. My wife says I'll never learn. Sadly, she's right

Really enjoyed the highlights of the Lion's game. Heroic play by Stafford at the end. That's how you become a fan favorite. Congrats again on the win.
    I can't really say much - the family had chiefs season tickets to 29 years. I finally learned and didn't renew 2 years ago. You can teach an old dog new tricks!

Nice job, Lions, you beat a horrible Browns team. At least they're not the worst of the worst. It was funny on PTI when they poked fun at Mangini's complaints that the Lions were faking injuries to slow the "juggernaut that is the Browns' offense." Ha!

But tomorrow I think they'll be the turkey - again. No Stafford, no Johnson? They need both those guys just to play even with the worst teams in the league. I'm afraid they'll make Aaron Rodgers look as good as he did to so many FF owners at the start of the year. Oh well, at least the food and drink will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Nice job, Lions, you beat a horrible Browns team. At least they're not the worst of the worst. It was funny on PTI when they poked fun at Mangini's complaints that the Lions were faking injuries to slow the "juggernaut that is the Browns' offense." Ha!

But tomorrow I think they'll be the turkey - again. No Stafford, no Johnson? They need both those guys just to play even with the worst teams in the league. I'm afraid they'll make Aaron Rodgers look as good as he did to so many FF owners at the start of the year. Oh well, at least the food and drink will be good.
    It will not be pretty. I just watched the NFL RePlay of the Lions Browns, and the Lions secondary is bad beyond belief.

Here's a fun exercise. Let's compare Brady Quinn's season stats before the Lion's game to his stats against the Lions, and then extrapolate the same percentage improvement for Aaron Rodgers. He should pass for 1250 yards and 15 touchdowns.

William James (Lions #41) got burned all day long. Wow was that ugly.

On the plus side, my son got 24 points in Fantasy Football, picking up the Packers' defense overnight. I had Jennings and got merely 5 pts.