Geeky Thoughts (Pomeroy)

I know Duke has only played four games, and only two with Nolan, but there are some interesting statistics thus far.

Duke's offense is rated 11th. Tempo is 68th, and I'm sure that will pick up with Nolan back. Defense is not so impressive, at 48th.

Free throw shooting is great, at 77.6% (ranked 24th). Three point shooting is also great, at 45.7%, (ranked 20th). Turnover percentage is also great, ranked 18th.

Unusually, Duke hasn't gotten to the line much, with FTA/FGA at 32.9, ranked 236th. Seems like a bad sign, but at least maybe we won't hear (as much) about Duke getting all the calls. Still, this statistic worries me.

Here are my favorite non-Duke statistics: Kerlina's turnover percentage is 25.6, ranked 292 and their offensive steal percentage is 14.9, ranked 327. Oh, and they don't try many 3s, 3PA/FGA: 24.6 (ranked 289). Statistical confirmation that Kerlina's backcourt is struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I know Duke has only played four games, and only two with Nolan, but there are some interesting statistics thus far.

Duke's offense is rated 11th. Tempo is 68th, and I'm sure that will pick up with Nolan back. Defense is not so impressive, at 48th.

Free throw shooting is great, at 77.6% (ranked 24th). Three point shooting is also great, at 45.7%, (ranked 20th). Turnover percentage is also great, ranked 18th.

Unusually, Duke hasn't gotten to the line much, with FTA/FGA at 32.9, ranked 236th. Seems like a bad sign, but at least maybe we won't hear (as much) about Duke getting all the calls. Still, this statistic worries me.

Here are my favorite non-Duke statistics: Kerlina's turnover percentage is 25.6, ranked 292 and their offensive steal percentage is 14.9, ranked 327. Oh, and they don't try many 3s, 3PA/FGA: 24.6 (ranked 289). Statistical confirmation that Kerlina's backcourt is struggling.
    It's obviously very early to start taking Kenpom's stats as indicative of what we can expect for the rest of the season, but I'm not too worried about our defensive rank. It's hard for Kenpom to rate strength of opponents this early in the season so many of the teams above us absolutely stymied truly terrible teams. Also, many of those teams have only played 2 or 3 games so far. I fully expect it to see our defensive efficiency rank go up as the season goes on.

Right

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    It's obviously very early to start taking Kenpom's stats as indicative of what we can expect for the rest of the season, but I'm not too worried about our defensive rank. It's hard for Kenpom to rate strength of opponents this early in the season so many of the teams above us absolutely stymied truly terrible teams. Also, many of those teams have only played 2 or 3 games so far. I fully expect it to see our defensive efficiency rank go up as the season goes on.
    Absolutely. That's why I spent more time on "style" statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post

The free throw line stuff is interesting. I wonder how much of it has to do with us not playing any close games where the opposing team is fouling to stop the clock. We've had great ball movement and take almost all of our shots either in the immediate basket area of from three (which are the two best shots in basketball). I'd be far more worried if we were getting most of our points from threes and exceptional midrange shooting. Not having Nolan in the lineup for two games may make a difference, as well. It is something to keep an eye on, though, as with Scheyer, Singler, Smith, Dawkins, Ryan, Mason, etc . . . FT shooting should definitely be one of our strengths and a crutch to lean on in tough games.