Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Come on people, get some perspective. This is exactly like Coach K's back injury, except that Roy is willing to coach through the debilitating pain.

Because of his life-threatening injury and the extreme measures the carolina medical staff must take just to get ol' roy out on the court, roy cannot adequately console his players when they are confronted with such obnoxious, out of control spectators. These poor kids have been deprived of the "huckleberry hound hug" for weeks now! Have you no pity in your devilish souls?

Imagine poor Deon, alone in front of thousands of tomb-silent fans, with the pressure of maintaining a 50 point lead weighing heavily upon his shoulders, only to be ruthlessly chided the way he was ...

AND HIS COACH UNABLE TO HUG HIM WHEN HE GOT BACK TO THE BENCH !!!!

ol' roy may have overreacted under the stress of that highly dramatic, game changing moment, but can you really blame him for giving that hooligan his due?

With his arm in a sling,
    No disrespect can you bring,
    In the pastel Nose Dome
    A tomb they call home,
    Ole Roy thinks he's a King.

Question xplain, pleeze

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Roy Williams - born on third base, twice.
    Can you explain this. I may need it for future ammo.

ole roy...

think stress is starting to get to him?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...n=ncaab,208335

I really think we need a separate thread for this, so that we don't have to keep spiking and merging new threads about the incident at the University of the People's Republic.

Also, because it's incredibly funny.

Quote Originally Posted by jsimmons View Post
    think stress is starting to get to him?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...n=ncaab,208335
    Pain meds, maybe- Roy has not been sleeping well to boot. Just imagine what practice must be like.

Smile OK Team. We Now Have Our Deon Cheer

Whenever he gets the ball. Here's a quote from the linked story.

'Drunk, profane fans are a menace at games, but there's no indication the ejected party was either of those things. "Hey Deon, don't miss it," is about as tame a taunt as there gets in a college basketball arena. That may be the nicest heckle Deon Thompson hears all season. When the Tar Heels go play at Duke, such a statement might be considered a compliment.'

Any time he touches the ball in Cameron -- "Hey, Deon, don't miss it!"

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Roy Williams - born on third base, twice.
    Maybe. But he's pretty good at stealing home.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Whenever he gets the ball. Here's a quote from the linked story.

'Drunk, profane fans are a menace at games, but there's no indication the ejected party was either of those things. "Hey Deon, don't miss it," is about as tame a taunt as there gets in a college basketball arena. That may be the nicest heckle Deon Thompson hears all season. When the Tar Heels go play at Duke, such a statement might be considered a compliment.'

Any time he touches the ball in Cameron -- "Hey, Deon, don't miss it!"

sagegrouse
    I don't think K would let the student body say such terrible thing like what was said to Deon. It was just uncalled for.

I too hope this is not forgotten just because it was an insignificant game. How many times have you heard one or two people who yell every time a Duke player shoots a FT in Cameron? I guess that is the only time CIS gets quiet enough to hear an individual's voice...yet that is how most of the game goes for the 'Holes at home.

I for one would HATE to be the guy who sold/gave the Presby guy tickets to the game, he might lose his Sheep Club card for that...aw shucks.

OTOH - I do remember K having someone ejected, I believe from the DD as well, during a Duke/UNC game. I think the guy was heckling, cussing and doing it all on a very personal level. Turns out the fan was Roy's son. Anyone remember where this happened?

Bottom line is that was totally uncalled for..."Miss it Deon"...wonder what Roy will do when the College Park hooligans make profane shirts, can be heard cussing in unison on Natty TV and start chucking batteries?

I think it's all pretty funny, but will likely be forgotten unless he does it again very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by chris13 View Post
    Maybe. But he's pretty good at stealing home.
    Yeah, that fits, but I think there is some thought alleging that he's gotten well beyond first base with very little effort on his part. I think the folks out in the mid-continent flats might have some other thoughts about the man, as would the fan from Presbyterian.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Come on people, get some perspective. This is exactly like Coach K's back injury, except that Roy is willing to coach through the debilitating pain.

Because of his life-threatening injury and the extreme measures the carolina medical staff must take just to get ol' roy out on the court, roy cannot adequately console his players when they are confronted with such obnoxious, out of control spectators. These poor kids have been deprived of the "huckleberry hound hug" for weeks now! Have you no pity in your devilish souls?

Imagine poor Deon, alone in front of thousands of tomb-silent fans, with the pressure of maintaining a 50 point lead weighing heavily upon his shoulders, only to be ruthlessly chided the way he was ...

AND HIS COACH UNABLE TO HUG HIM WHEN HE GOT BACK TO THE BENCH !!!!

ol' roy may have overreacted under the stress of that highly dramatic, game changing moment, but can you really blame him for giving that hooligan his due?
    BD8080, you're just a little bit off track comparing Roy's shoulder to K's back problems. The rest of your post is just fine, though.

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    I eagerly await Wheat's defense.
    Steve Kirschner, UNC's Associate Director of Athletics for Communications:

"First, Coach Williams did not instruct security to throw him out the building. He told security to find out if the fan had a ticket for that seat because Coach wanted to know how he got a seat in the section behind our bench. Second, security ejected the fan because they believed him to be intoxicated, something that our security and security staffs at arenas all over the country due regularly."

So what do I think?

Looks like some drunk fan swooped a seat he didn't belong in, stepped over Roy's line taunting Deon from it, so Roy decided he had enough and asked secruity to deal with him.

Evidently, security found him to be in the wrong seat, and in an inappropriate alcoholic state, so they decided to kick him to the curb.

Now some non-Carolina fans desperate to battle 'Ole Roy anywhere but the court, have tried to make this some earth shattering issue.

But hey, I've been fishing and I wasn't there, thats just what I think.

I

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post

"First, Coach Williams did not instruct security to throw him out the building. He told security to find out if the fan had a ticket for that seat because Coach wanted to know how he got a seat in the section behind our bench. Second, security ejected the fan because they believed him to be intoxicated, something that our security and security staffs at arenas all over the country due regularly."
    Judging by the video, UNC spokesman Kirschner's claim that Roy didn't eject the fan does not appear to be operative.

What do I think? I think it looks like yet another case of Roy letting one of his flunkies smear someone that had the audacity to displease him. Delvon Roe, then John Wall, now this guy.

Good Ol' Roy.

So what do I think?

Looks like some drunk fan swooped a seat he didn't belong in, stepped over Roy's line taunting Deon from it, so Roy decided he had enough and asked secruity to deal with him.

Evidently, security found him to be in the wrong seat, and in an inappropriate alcoholic state, so they decided to kick him to the curb.

Now some non-Carolina fans desperate to battle 'Ole Roy anywhere but the court, have tried to make this some earth shattering issue.

I
    The biggest question is, why would Roy care? All accounts from press row and even surrounding Tarheel fans apparently is that this was the only taunt heard the entire game and let's face it - it was very much G-rated. Roy's boys were up by 40, why would he make something so meaningless - "bigger than it is"?

Weiderer puts it best asking "What if K had done this? What would the reaction be?". We all know it would be a much much bigger deal. But since it's folksy Roy in a meaningless game, it's only small local news.

There is heckling at every single Duke game to some degree. By and large the rest of the fans/students either don't acknowledge it or have some fun with it. I actually know for a fact there is atleast one "fan" who has access to tickets via a legacy and attends every Duke home game just to root and heckle against them. If K acted like Roy every single home game would suffer multiple delays. Heck, if K was as hypersensitive as Roy he would have left Duke a long, long time ago.

So what do I think?

I
    Wheat, fishing in the triangle area? If so, where at?

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    The biggest question is, why would Roy care? All accounts from press row and even surrounding Tarheel fans apparently is that this was the only taunt heard the entire game and let's face it - it was very much G-rated. Roy's boys were up by 40, why would he make something so meaningless - "bigger than it is"?

Weiderer puts it best asking "What if K had done this? What would the reaction be?". We all know it would be a much much bigger deal. But since it's folksy Roy in a meaningless game, it's only small local news.

There is heckling at every single Duke game to some degree. By and large the rest of the fans/students either don't acknowledge it or have some fun with it. I actually know for a fact there is atleast one "fan" who has access to tickets via a legacy and attends every Duke home game just to root and heckle against them. If K acted like Roy every single home game would suffer multiple delays. Heck, if K was as hypersensitive as Roy he would have left Duke a long, long time ago.
    Perfect post. Exactly what I was thinking. Also, Deon needs to grow up. He's a senior player on the team, I think it reflects poorly that he can't handle some simple heckling.

So what do I think?

I
    Your facts are wrong - therefore they are not facts. But then, you were not there, you were fishing, so what do you know?

So what do I think?

I
    I knew you could find those baby blue glasses somewhere. Gotta keep 'em handy for the next f-bomb at a press conference

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Judging by the video, UNC spokesman Kirschner's claim that Roy didn't eject the fan does not appear to be operative.
    All I see is an obviously angry Roy pointing the guy out in the crowd to his staff.
    I don't see him telling anyone to "kick the guy out".

I tend to believe the UNC director of communications, and will until somebody shows some evidence that it didn't happen just as he said.

In the PC, Roy said something to the effect that people shouldn't yell out negative things about players "on our tickets". Which seems to support the idea that Roy thought the guy was heckling players from the players family ticket section or something similar, which I have read elsewhere.

That the guy was heckling from a special section, courtesey of tickets that Roy probably thought he provided, seems to be what set Roy off here, not that he was an every game heckler Roy decided to pick on like some want to make the case out to be.

But I don't know any details, it all seems like a manufactured controversy to me.

Drunk guy gets kicked out of sporting event, big deal.

Drunk guy gets kicked out of sporting event, big deal.
    ...by the home team coach, while making a scene and screaming "You need to shut up, yea I'm talking to you"