Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

UNC Hate Coming On

I was browsing through the messages in CBS Sportsline and ESPN recently after the Duke game. I am starting to see a trend that I have only seen with Duke before.
    Fans from different schools are starting to hate UNC. In pretty much every thread I read, there is atleast one poster who is asking us to thrash UNC when we play them. Here is one example -

"As much as it pains me to say it, so far Duke is looking pretty impressive. Just like with UK, I'm curious to see how they do when they face some more talented teams, but so far it looks promising.

And if you don't mind, do me a favor and beat the snot out of UNC when you play 'em! "

i am all about some unc hate....I'm in... !!!!

how can i help?

for the record, i think the holios will beat Wall and UK.... continuing to be a good team during the year they're sposed to be "rebuilding" will illicit more hate...

what they need is a good ol scandal...yeah, that's it...

I think North Carolina will lose to Kentucky. Cal's kids from Lexington have enough talent and depth in the frontcourt such as Patterson, Cousins, Orton, etc. to match up with Thompson, Davis, Henson, and Zeller. Thus, the advantage goes to Kentucky, because John Wall is far more talented than Larry Drew and Dexter Strickland. North Carolina will lose several games this year due to poor point play.
    Last edited by ETDevil4; 11-22-2009 at 09:39 AM.

welcome ET....we shall see....

Quote Originally Posted by ETDevil4 View Post
    I think North Carolina will lose to Kentucky. Cal's kids from Lexington have enough talent and depth in the frontcourt such as Patterson, Cousins, Orton, etc. to match up with Thompson, Davis, Henson, and Zeller. Thus, the advantage goes to Kentucky, because John Wall is far more talented than Larry Drew and Dexter Strickland. North Carolina will lose several games this year due to poor point play.
    I agree. The way Valpo's guard consistently broke down the UNC guards surprised me. Wall can and will get into the lane often against UNC and when he does, game over... UK by 12!

I am so glad to hear that the luster is wearing off UNC. I hate them and wish a plague on their house!

Is it just me...

or does the current advertisement on DBR with the catch phrase "Give a goat to a hungry child" make me think of this thread instead of helping the needy.

That sounds like a UK fan quoted in the original post. It's worth remembering that UK and UNC are locked in a tight battle for all time wins. I think UNC is about six or so behind now. I think that will tip their angst and fury against UNC as opposed to Duke. Especially as more and more of them are too young to have experienced "The Shot."

Another group of UNC haters are the Kansas fans. I suppose that one may start to wane if Self wins another championship for them.

Personally, I would rather we be the most despised because we are the most dominant, as was the case in the late 90s and the early 2000s. It was worth the price.

The hate for UNC will continue to grow IF they continue to be successful. America loves to have a team that "everybody loves to hate". For a long time, that has been Duke. That has/is starting to fade mostly because of the "slide"/failures in recent years particularly in the tournament.

Personally, I'd rather keep the crown of most hated team as it means we are piling up the Ws and making deep runs in March.

To be fair ,it's fun to hate on the heels.It's about time the rest of the country caught on.lol

the enemy of my enemy...

Reading the OP, I had two thoughts. First, success breeds contempt. UNC has been successful and they have mostly awful fans (irregardless of winning and losing) so they are going to build up contempt. My second thought was one I've had a lot recently...I've read this board for about 10 years now and I can not recall another time when there were so many UNC threads and posts. That's not a good thing.

GTHC (and take all your posts and threads with you unless you are losing or playing Duke or both)

Inevitable

I think this was inevitable. It's obvious Carolina is in a decline. They just can't compete like they used to. Their dynasty is over. They haven't made it to the final four since last year. Oh, I'm sorry...isn't this what you say when a team doesn't win one game? Oh wait, that's just what you say when Duke loses one...or a recruit...or doesn't win by enough points...my mistake.

Speaking of UNC hate

In an article I read on the WRAL website about the Bobcats/Pacers game yesterday, I found the following quote quite interesting: "Greeted by cheers and a smatter of boos from the Duke fans, Hansbrough showed he he's still working himself into the rotation following a preseason shin injury."
    http://www.wralsportsfan.com/bobcats/story/6475823/

My first thought when I read that statement was, "Really? Duke fans are the only ones who might boo him?" I guess State and Wake fans always really liked the guy and would never boo him.

Quote Originally Posted by Methodistman View Post
    In an article I read on the WRAL website about the Bobcats/Pacers game yesterday, I found the following quote quite interesting: "Greeted by cheers and a smatter of boos from the Duke fans, Hansbrough showed he he's still working himself into the rotation following a preseason shin injury."

My first thought when I read that statement was, "Really? Duke fans are the only ones who might boo him?" I guess State and Wake fans always really liked the guy and would never boo him.
    There were some NCAA referees in attendance. They were the ones doing most of the cheering.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Methodistman View Post

Or maybe they were folks that wanted to buy an Acura but couldn't bring themselves to do it now that Wowsblah had made that criminally bad commercial.

turnabout is fair play

So as Duke fans we often complain and find it unfair when other fans hate us for being successful. We call them whiners when they complain about the refs, and we state that they should respect us for winning the right way instead of hating us for no reason. I find it a little hypocritical that once the torch has been passed to UNC, these same fans are now doing exactly what we resent in other fans by "hating" UNC and hoping that other fans will too.

I want to beat UNC but I am not going to spew hate towards them because they win.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    So as Duke fans we often complain and find it unfair when other fans hate us for being successful. We call them whiners when they complain about the refs, and we state that they should respect us for winning the right way instead of hating us for no reason. I find it a little hypocritical that once the torch has been passed to UNC, these same fans are now doing exactly what we resent in other fans by "hating" UNC and hoping that other fans will too.

I want to beat UNC but I am not going to spew hate towards them because they win.
    It's not a matter of spewing, rather a "better him than me" attitude when it comes to being portrayed as the big baddies who are underachievers if they don't make the final 4.
    The Gordog

Nor will I. But, after having my complaints about Duke hate dismissed by UNC fans for the last several years, I like hearing this. Hopefully some of them, at least, may soon be able to stretch their brains to understand our predicament.

That said, I still think they are a long way from "F!@# you, JJ" chants and mainstream media reports about how they "get all the calls."
    Last edited by 91_92_01_10_15; 11-23-2009 at 04:39 PM. Reason: punctuation

I think there is a distinction which needs to be made here. Duke fans get upset because many of the Duke haters have no reason for their hate. If ACC fans want to hate us because we so regularly beat their teams that's fine. If Kentucky fans want to hate us because of Christian Laetner then so be it. When Tennessee, Nebraska, ________ (insert name of school outside the ACC) want to hate us, that's when I ask why? Why put energy into watching Duke games and cheering for us to lose when you rarely play against us? Or even worse why does the media cheer for us to lose? (ex. the NCAA loss to VCU) This is the kind of hate that annoys me.

I don't think it's fair to call Duke fans hypocritical for hating on UNC. We hate them simply because they are UNC not because of their record.

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    Why put energy into watching Duke games and cheering for us to lose when you rarely play against us?
    It doesn't take much energy to watch Duke games, which could be part of the problem that much of the country has with Duke. Granted, it's not Duke's fault you're on TV all the time, but I doubt that anyone in Utah wants to see your games against Charlotte, Gardner Webb or Iowa State.