Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    1. Respiratory viruses, including basic and clinical aspects, vaccines, culturing methods, treatments, preventions, etc., etc., etc.

2. HIV and AIDS, diagnosis, treatment, prevention, etc.

3. Music composition, especially choral.

4. Choral conducting.

Forgot to mention another thing:

I know entirely too much about the Grateful Dead.

1. Mortgage Loan Data, how to deliver it to Freddie Mac, and the impact of variations in said data to the accuracy of our financial reporting.

2. Tolkien's Universe.

3. Italian food & wine.
    The Gordog

areas of expertise

1. Make the greatest brownies in the world
    2. hugging my 16 mo. old son
    3. scrabble and rumikub
    4. planning and researching vacations

and on the flip side, areas of ineptitude, include, but are not limited to:
    1. cars and how they work
    2. being handy around the house
    3. handling matters of health insurance

Here is my not so important list of things I know too much about:

1) Rollercoasters--I am a rollercoaster and thrillride nut having traveled pretty much anywhere I can just to ride a certain coaster. In particular, my favorite coaster designer is a company from Switzerland called B & M (Bolliger & Mabillard) which make the smoothest and most unbelievable steel rollercoasters in the world.

2) Sports junkie in general, however I too have a huge interest in the Braves, only missing a few games each year on the tube.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Jason "I haev been the phone-a-friend person for a couple folks who have been on Millionaire, but I've never gotten the call" Evans
    Where were you when I was actually on the show?!

My phone a friend, my husband, sadly did not know the answer and I went down guessing at $32,000. Don't regret taking a guess though. Do regret getting a current events question I couldn't answer. ;-)

Life is not fair, the person before me got "Who invented biofocals?" for her $32,000 question and if I'd been one person later, I would have won a half million, without using a lifeline, sigh.

Forgot trivial knowledge as one of my areas of expertise, just not current events so much.

Oh, silly nerdy hobby, I can say "I love you" in 45 different languages, give or take.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Where were you when I was actually on the show?!

My phone a friend, my husband, sadly did not know the answer and I went down guessing at $32,000. Don't regret taking a guess though. Do regret getting a current events question I couldn't answer. ;-)

Life is not fair, the person before me got "Who invented biofocals?" for her $32,000 question and if I'd been one person later, I would have won a half million, without using a lifeline, sigh.

Forgot trivial knowledge as one of my areas of expertise, just not current events so much.

Oh, silly nerdy hobby, I can say "I love you" in 45 different languages, give or take.
    I'm gunning for Jeopardy in the near future...second-round audition on May 20. Sadly, Trebek allows no lifelines.

Don't know if this falls under expertise or obsessions, but here goes:

1) Visual FoxPro and automating Microsoft Office from Visual FoxPro and other languages.

2) Band Parent, specializing in listening to the percussion section.

3) Duke Basketball

I don't know about expertise (for reasons apparent in a moment) but here are things I know a lot about:

1. Adult Learning theory/corporate education - I am currently earning my doctorate in this, and have done extensive research in: Learning theory, communities of practice, informal learning at work, the nature of expertise and how experts learn, experiential learning, and social network analysis.

2. I'd call myself a low-level Fanboy, meaning I have a solid grasp on all things comic-book, fantasy and science fiction. (with a very deliberate gap in the Star Trek area).

3. Teaching strategy, leadership and coaching skills to managers and executives.

4. I have become the 'tech guy' for my family and friends, but it is more due to knowing 10% more than them and also #8 below.

5. Game design, learning theory and the intersection of the two - specifically how to design f2f and video games for training programs.

6. My wife says I 'know something about everything' - it may not be significant, but it isn't always trivial either.

7. Chen style taiji - I may not have expertise, but I have 5 years of practice in it and I really wan to have expertse.

8. I am a master at the Google. I can find more in-depth information about any given topic twice as fast as my friends and colleagues.

Exiled

None

I have no expertise, I'm a consultant.

No seriously, I'm not an expert at anything. I'm one of those kinda good at everything, not an expert at anything guys.

So what am I at least somewhat good at or know a bit about?

- jazz saxophone
    - Frank Herbert's Dune novels (hence the name)
    - all things computery
    - whisky
    Last edited by DukeUsul; 05-01-2007 at 10:16 PM. Reason: minor grammar fix

Cool

I cook a mean ribeye steak. So good, as a matter of fact, we haven't been out to restaurants in a very long time and I'm requested to cook for others.

Pretty handy at freshwater fishing as well.

Anything else I know just enough to get in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Of course baseball didn't exist before bobby cox invented it in 1991, right?
    Wait a minute... Bobby Cox had a guy named Joe Torre as a predecessor. What were they playing then? Cricket?

Take it from me, a Marine parent deserves the praise of all of us. Ooo-Rah, Marine Corps. Keep up the good work.

expertise

1) Eye stuff

2) Exercise stuff especially swimming and cycling

3) General Health Stuff speaking of which there is a pretty cool site
    http://www.livingto100.com/

Serving as a warning to others.

Lean Manufacturing: I have been studying lean methodologies and Six Sigma for the past 5 years. I received Black Belt certification after completing two successful projects that saved my company $200k+/year. It has become so ingrained into my thinking that I can't go anywhere without seeing waste in how someone is operating their business, or training employees. I marvel at places that get it right, and loathe places that are literally hemorrhaging money in the form of waste. My favorite days at work are when I find the root-cause of a major scrap issue and it's something as simple as a worn bolt, but no one believes that could've been the problem but I have the data to prove it. Bolt gets changed, scrap goes down, I win. Love it. I'm nowhere near an expert, but I'm getting better at it all the time and it's starting to become second nature. It's almost a blessing and a curse. Sometimes I feel like Superman when he flies into the atmosphere closes his eyes and can hear every crisis on earth. He then has to decide what is the most important crisis to handle first.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    ... I can't go anywhere without seeing waste in how someone is operating their business ... I feel like Superman when he flies into the atmosphere closes his eyes and can hear every crisis on earth. He then has to decide what is the most important crisis to handle first.
    I think there are a lot of people with that same skillset in the minutes distribution thread.

Things I am an expert in:
    1. Decision-analytic and economic modelling, especially in the health care and pharmaceutical sector.
    2. Chicago sports
    3. Simple math
    4. Annoying my wife

Things I suck at:
    1. Keeping up with friends long-distance
    2. Sleeping
    3. lawn care/maintenance
    4. listing all the stuff I suck at

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    I cook a mean ribeye steak. So good, as a matter of fact, we haven't been out to restaurants in a very long time and I'm requested to cook for others.

Pretty handy at freshwater fishing as well.

Anything else I know just enough to get in trouble.
    What's your secret, if you don't mind sharing? I'm the world's worst "griller" of meats. I can destroy even the choicest cut of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Things I am an expert in:
    1. Decision-analytic and economic modelling, especially in the health care and pharmaceutical sector.
    2. Chicago sports
    3. Simple math
    4. Annoying my wife

Things I suck at:
    1. Keeping up with friends long-distance
    2. Sleeping
    3. lawn care/maintenance
    4. listing all the stuff I suck at
    Your number 4 would be number 1 on my list of what I excel at (and my wife would definitely agree!). On the other hand, I'm very good with lawn care and maintenance (I excel at mowing straight lines with my John Deere ride-on mower and I'm quite picky about how the yard looks. LOL Unfortunately, not a high paying skill to have in today's society).

In reality, I know a little about many different things. Could probably do quite well on Jeopardy (although I am impressed at how smart and knowledgeable some of the contestants are). I also know a fair amount about the stock market and investments and financial planning (my profession and long-time interest of mine, dating back to my days as an Econ major at Duke). Avid reader of political books and biographies.