NOLA Food Recommendations

Here until Friday morning. Hit me with suggestions.

Anything and everything, nothing too formal.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post

Thanks!
    I do not have any recommendations other than "enjoy yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post

Thanks!
    IMG_5677.jpg

Dat Dog.

And Cochon.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

New Orleans is IMHO, the best food city in the nation.

Even the small, unknown places are great (and usually moderately priced).

The famous joints -- Brennan's, Antoine's, Emirl's ... are great, but walk around the corner and you'll probably find a place that's just as good.

One exception -- Commander's Palace is the best restaurant I've ever eaten in. Period. Great atmosphere, the best service I've ever had and the food is out of this world. It is a little bit fancy, but worth it. BTW: Order the Bread Pudding Soufflee (you have to order it before your meal). I'm not much of a dessert guy, but I dream of that one.

It's been rated the best restaurant in New Orleans 18 times by Zagats. The New Orleans Times-Picayune has polled its readers every year and (at least through 2012), CP wins every year. The chef just won the James Beard Award and was named the Best Chef in the South. Wine Spectator just gave CP its Grand Prize. I've visited almost a dozen times and I've never had anything less than a great meal.

PS You might want to make reservations on-line and it does have a dress code.

I think you have to work hard to find bad food in New Orleans.

And Charleston.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    New Orleans is IMHO, the best food city in the nation.

Even the small, unknown places are great (and usually moderately priced).

The famous joints -- Brennan's, Antoine's, Emirl's ... are great, but walk around the corner and you'll probably find a place that's just as good.

One exception -- Commander's Palace is the best restaurant I've ever eaten in. Period. Great atmosphere, the best service I've ever had and the food is out of this world. It is a little bit fancy, but worth it. BTW: Order the Bread Pudding Soufflee (you have to order it before your meal). I'm not much of a dessert guy, but I dream of that one.

It's been rated the best restaurant in New Orleans 18 times by Zagats. The New Orleans Times-Picayune has polled its readers every year and (at least through 2012), CP wins every year. The chef just won the James Beard Award and was named the Best Chef in the South. Wine Spectator just gave CP its Grand Prize. I've visited almost a dozen times and I've never had anything less than a great meal.

PS You might want to make reservations on-line and it does have a dress code.
    Whileheartedly agree on Commander's: great food, impeccable service, elegant spot. Like the bread pudding, but they also do a flaming coffee deal that I believe started at Brennan's.

Antoine's was crappy the last time I was there. Prefer Arnaud's or Delmonico's for the tier below CP.

Good casual spots: Acme Oyster House and Mother's.

Quote Originally Posted by FadedTackyShirt View Post
    Whileheartedly agree on Commander's: great food, impeccable service, elegant spot. Like the bread pudding, but they also do a flaming coffee deal that I believe started at Brennan's.

Antoine's was crappy the last time I was there. Prefer Arnaud's or Delmonico's for the tier below CP.

Good casual spots: Acme Oyster House and Mother's.
    My brother loved in New Orleans for almost a decade and Mother's was his personal favorite. It was badly damaged by the hurricane and was shut down a while, but I'm told it's up and running again-- as good as ever (and VERY reasonably priced).

Go to Commander's Palace for brunch. Amazing.

There was a place uptown that the locals used to go to called Frankie and Johnny's, I think. Might be on Arabella Street?? That place was pretty good. Soft shell crab po' boy was tasty. Prices decent, too. Not a lot of out-ot-towners.

Another place I recall fondly is Pasquale Manale's on Napoleon in uptown. Famous for their barbecue shrimp. They have to be tried to be believed.

But, as others have said, there are a million great places to eat in New Orleans. Have fun!
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    My brother loved in New Orleans for almost a decade and Mother's was his personal favorite. It was badly damaged by the hurricane and was shut down a while, but I'm told it's up and running again-- as good as ever (and VERY reasonably priced).
    Be prepared to wait in line a long time at Mother's, especially for lunch.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Tomorrow (Monday) is Red Beans and Rice day. Apparently, it's a Monday thing. I don't have a particular location for it, but it'll be everywhere. Grab a muffaletta at Central Grocery, which claims to have invented it. I can't vouch for the invention part, but it's delicious. I second the idea of Commander's Palace. And I've always wanted to try Delmonico.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Great spots for drinks:

Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop

Patio at the Columns

Carousel Bar at the Hotel Monteleone

Oysters= Felix's.
    Divine general chow= Cochon.

And to JB, thanks for the prompt...I haven't made red beans and rice in a while and tomorrow looks rainy...cornbread, too.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Parkway Bakery & Tavern for poor boys.

http://parkwaypoorboys.com

Oyster poboy at Mothers!

Johnny's Po Boys for what else, but their Muffaletta's are also outstanding. Had dinner at Sweeten Creek tonight and had your favorite, the Monte Cristo. Whoa! Makes it so hard to decide what to eat there. Gotta keep going back, especially since their new pilsner may be the best in the area! Contact me for some other great NOLA stuff. Used to go there all the time from H town.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by orrnot View Post
    Parkway Bakery & Tavern for poor boys.

http://parkwaypoorboys.com
    I second this vote - the roast beef and shrimp was one of the greatest things I have ever eaten - awesome spot for lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Tomorrow (Monday) is Red Beans and Rice day. Apparently, it's a Monday thing. ....
    Yep. Every Monday. Reportedly because back in the day they would put the pots on the heat on Sunday and simmer it for hours. I loves me some red beans and rice.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

My favorites (in no particular order):
    • Stanley (brunch)
    • Mandina's
    • Cowbell
    • High Hat Cafe
    • Coulis
    • District Donuts Sliders Brew

Mmm...I do love NOLA.

Remember that Cafe du Monde is open 24 hours - if you want to check it off of your list, don't wait in looong lines during the day.
    The dueling piano bar at Pat O's is fun, if you like that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    My favorites (in no particular order):
    • Stanley (brunch)
    • Mandina's
    • Cowbell
    • High Hat Cafe
    • Coulis
    • District Donuts Sliders Brew

Mmm...I do love NOLA.

Remember that Cafe du Monde is open 24 hours - if you want to check it off of your list, don't wait in looong lines during the day.
    The dueling piano bar at Pat O's is fun, if you like that sort of thing.
    Dang! I forgot about Mandina's. Good call.