Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

What's your expertise?

Let us try a thread where readers can try to summarize a true personal expertise or two that they have, regardless of source (academic, professional, or hobby, for example). Mine are going to be boring and narrow, so I hope other, more interesting folks will chime in. Here goes:

1. Legal liability issues arising from a common automobile sales practice known as "spot delivery." Spot delivery is when a dealer is arranging financing for a sale, but delivers the vehicle "on the spot" to the customer before financing is approved. Problems and lawsuits arise when financing falls through, and the dealer wants the car back.

2. Identification of common Warbler species by song, particularly identification based on an incomplete song, a note or two.

(1) Tax Law, corporate or state and local (still working on it, heading to get an LLM next year)

(2) Atlanta Braves Baseball 1991 - present

1. Software development, particularly user interfaces for data entry intensive applications

2. Dog training - mostly agility but also obedience (as if my default photo wasn't a dead giveaway)

1. Coaching 8 - year old Little League Baseball.

2. Making authentic gumbo.

There are some professional things that I'm considered to be pretty good at, but in terms of real-world importance they pale in comparison to the above two.

1. plants

2. gin

1. Third world literacy, especially in remote areas with smaller language groups. The language doesn't have to have been written down, but it helps if the people believe that reading isn't demonic. It does take ten years or so to really get things going well, before I can turn the program completely over to the people.

2. My favorite activity, by far, is simply being proud of my twin sons, both in the Marine Corps, one a flight crew chief at New River, the other in the Reserves while working his way through college. They turn 20 in May, after two years in the USMC.

Smile Expertise? I wish...

Expertise is probably a stronger word than I'd use -- but I'm passionate about:

* All things tech-gadgety, particularly involving Windows Mobile devices;

* Bulldogs;

* SCUBA;

* Duke!

- 17th-century colonialism (especially English New World)
    - Spades (card game)
    - Cartoons (especially the evolution of Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, and Elmer Fudd)
    - Crossword puzzles

this may read out as a little superficial, but here goes, and i'm sorry if anyone is let down by the simplicity inherent to these statements of 'expertise', but true they are:

1) Sailing, (and soon to be kiteboarding if i don't kill myself first, probably in front of A LOT of people),

2) Investing, and

3) Looking at bikinis on the beach (just being totally honest)

dth.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    (2) Atlanta Braves Baseball 1991 - present
    Of course baseball didn't exist before bobby cox invented it in 1991, right?

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Of course baseball didn't exist before bobby cox invented it in 1991, right?
    baseball did, but I didnt really start following baseball intently until I was 9 years old. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    1. Coaching 8 - year old Little League Baseball.
    That is so funny, I was going to list coaching 7 & 10-year old baseball/soccer as my specialities.

Most folks know I do journalism/news as a profession. I am also an entertainment/sports/pop culture trivia nut. If I ever get on that VH1 World Series of Pop Culture show, I'm taking first place

-Jason "I haev been the phone-a-friend person for a couple folks who have been on Millionaire, but I've never gotten the call" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    - Spades (card game)
    Wilson, if you play Spades do you also play Bridge? I find Bridge to be a far superior and challenging game to Spades or Hearts. It takes a while to learn how to play it properly (especially the bidding-- even rudimentary bidding requires a lot of knowledge), but once you have you will not regret it.

--Jason "my oldest son has fallen in love with Bridge, though I fear the game is dying out" Evans
    Last edited by JBDuke; 05-01-2007 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Sad, when I have to edit a fellow moderator's post to correct his "quote" tags and typos...

1) Basketball rules and officiating

That's about it.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Here's my list

1) All things theater. I'm a playwright myself and I've run a new play development group (Shadow Boxing Theatre Workshop) for the past 6 years. In addition to writing, I produce, direct, and on occasion, act. I also read scripts for more than one local theater company. Any Boston area folks want to come see my latest directing effort, next weekend at the Devanaughn, the Dragonfly Festival, http://www.devtheatre.com. The two I'm directing are first weekend, May 10-13.

2) Knitting.

3) I'm a pretty good card player, Bridge, gin, spades, you name it. OK, I've only played poker once but I was the big winner that night. And now, thanks to all the poker on TV, I know that a flush beats a straight.

ETA: Jason, my oldest son plays Bridge too. Too bad we can't get them together.
    Last edited by Bostondevil; 05-01-2007 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Wilson, if you play Spades do you also play Bridge? I find Bridge to be a far superior and challenging game to Spades or Hearts. It takes a while to learn how to play it properly (especially the bidding-- evenrudimentary bidding requires a lot of knowledge), but once you have you will not regret it.

--Jason "my oldest son has fallen in love with Bridge, though I fear the game is dying out" Evans
    My dad has a bridge club that plays every two weeks, and I have been observing them for a number of years now. I have already informed him that, upon my return to Atlanta (in two days!), I want in the club as an alternate player. I am working on how to bid right now. I have been playing spades for long enough that I know I will be good with some practice and a better command of how bridge scoring works. I hope to be someone who helps keep the game from dying out.

I'll bite...

1. Web Application Development (my latest site)
    2. Coaching baseball (North Wake Baseball Assoc - Go Cardinals!)
    3. I'm a stathead through and through, as evident by my ACC Fantasy Basketball Website.
    4. Cubs Minor League System (http://www.mvn.com/milb-cubs)

I have too many websites!

When Duke basketball isn't on....

I wouldn't call myself an expert but I enjoy:

1) Braves Baseball

2) Texas Hold'em

3) UFC

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Jason, my oldest son plays Bridge too. Too bad we can't get them together.
    When my 10-year-old came home the other day and said, "Daddy, we learned Jacoby Transfers today" it brought a tear to my eye

-Jason

* Developing & drawing new superheroes w/ interesting super powers (usually in corporate meetings).

* Financial modeling and creativity

* Inventing new drinks with Vodka

* Dancing

* Spades, Tonk & Bid Whist (all with the accompanied trash talking)