R.I.P Rhinestone Cowboy

Glen Campbell dead at the age of 81. My favorite song of his was Wichita Lineman, which has one of the best lines ever written: "And I need you more than want you, and I want you for all time". BTW, the song was written by Jimmy Webb.

I always his gentle manner persona, though his life had a great deal of turmoil stemming from his cocaine use. He cleaned up his act and then developed Alzheimer's. A sad ending. May he know a peaceful rest.

Both of my parents have Alzheimer's. My father is in end stage and mother is in mid stage, so I know some of what the family is going through. It's pretty tough when a loved family member doesn't know you anymore.
    Tom Mac

I had a nice long chat with Glen in 1971 when I was (for bizarre reasons) spending a lot of time with the Governor of Iowa and Glen was appearing at the Iowa State Fair, the Gov had a nice party at his home....

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!

Gentle on My Mind

You know how there are very early memories that you have? Just glimpses of your early childhood that aren't really old movies, but just snapshots in your head? I remember being I guess 4, and being at a drive in theater with my parents and baby sister. Glen Campbell was in the movie. It must have been the summer of 1968? We lived in Durham in Poplar apartments on Lambeth Circle (sp). Of course I have no idea where that drive in theater was or what the movie was. Anyway, for some reason I think about that early moment from time to time, and every time I hear one of his songs...and I smile. Thank you Glen.

Awesome talent! The man could play anything with strings and had a great voice. He did exceptional work on one of the greatest LPs of all-time, "Pet Sounds", and, IMO, wisely chose to turn down becoming the next Beach Boy. His career took off from there. The music world has lost another great member!

one helluva musician/songwriter/performer/entertainer.......we're all diminished...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Close family friends of our actually bought his house (at the Biltmore in Phoenix) a few years ago (when his alzheimers progressed past the point where he could live at home), and it has tons of memorabilia. We've stayed with them a few times, and it's neat to see all the old guitars, etc. Not surprisingly, it's a beautiful house.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommac View Post
    Both of my parents have Alzheimer's. My father is in end stage and mother is in mid stage, so I know some of what the family is going through. It's pretty tough when a loved family member doesn't know you anymore.
    My sympathies. You might be interested in watching the 2014 documentary about Glen's late struggles with the disease, "I'll Be Me."

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    one helluva musician/songwriter/performer/entertainer....we're all diminished...
    +1. Just an incredible talent.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust