Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The Streak

So i can't state my opinion?

I do this to see what other people think about it and gain insight on the situation. Not to argue online with someone i don't know over MY opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post

I do this to see what other people think about it and gain insight on the situation. Not to argue online with someone i don't know over MY opinion.
    You're quite welcome to state an opinion. But the community here expects you to back it up with something more than just "It's my opinion."

Validate it. Defend it. Bring your "A" game. Explain to us why you think it. Cite sources.

There are plenty of sites out there for folks who want to spout an opinion and expect it to stand, defenseless. We're not one of them.

-jk

Of all the opinions that are stated on these boards, criticism of Duke players/coaches require the highest level of reasoning to back them up. As Duke fans, we are very defensive of the guys who represent the program. If criticism is warranted, the person presenting must be able to logically explain why.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    I can't understand the desire for someone with that mindset to post at all.
    Narcissism

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    You're quite welcome to state an opinion. But the community here expects you to back it up with something more than just "It's my opinion."

Validate it. Defend it. Bring your "A" game. Explain to us why you think it. Cite sources.

There are plenty of sites out there for folks who want to spout an opinion and expect it to stand, defenseless. We're not one of them.

-jk
    I understand what your saying. But this topic wasn't really that important to me and i had a busy day today. So to argue meaningless facts about someone who has no turnovers really wasn't my goal for today. I'll try to come with the "FACTS" next time. Although after this incounter with 20 other posters telling me i'm wrong, i might just keep my mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    Of all the opinions that are stated on these boards, criticism of Duke players/coaches require the highest level of reasoning to back them up. As Duke fans, we are very defensive of the guys who represent the program. If criticism is warranted, the person presenting must be able to logically explain why.
    I always said i like how Jon was playing. I just don't see why we put so much into him not having any turnovers only four games into the season against lesser compition.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    I always said i like how Jon was playing. I just don't see why we put so much into him not having any turnovers only four games into the season against lesser compition.
    But actually you did not say that. You said "A guy with no turnovers for a long amount of time to me means he hasn't been playing to his best ability and has just been play conservative."

I think that is the quote that stirred the pot more than your theory on whether having zero turnovers after 4 games is important or not. People took offense to that because if you look at Jon's play thru the first 4 games, 2 of which he was missing his backcourt mate, he has been stellar. The guy has played great. He is not flashy. He never will be, but he does not need to be flashy to lead this team to victory no matter who the opponent is..

That moreso than whether your theory on turnovers is what led to the onslaught...

If an opinion is not important enough for you to bother defending, then it's not important enough that you should bother posting in the first place.

The people on this board don't need to read every inane and flippant thought that happens to pop into your or my head.

I'm really not trying to pile on here, but has anyone else who is a primary ball handler playing 30+ minutes per game in division 1 ball accomplished what Jon has so far? Maybe that stat alone backs up why this is worth talking about and relishing in.

Because its interesting, and Bobby Hurley and Jason Williams, and Tommy Amaker and others didn't do it...

... given the fact that Scheyer wasn't a point guard until the middle of last season, it seems that playing 131 minutes as a point guard, averaging 5 assists per game and not turning the ball over is, well, really good.
    Last edited by dyedwab; 11-22-2009 at 10:11 PM. Reason: typo

Personally, I don't like Scheyer at point guard, although I love him as a player. He's not quick enough. All it takes is a quick guard to play him close and it will shut down the entire offense. That's what villanova did to us in the tournament last year.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyDuke View Post
    Personally, I don't like Scheyer at point guard, although I love him as a player. He's not quick enough. All it takes is a quick guard to play him close and it will shut down the entire offense. That's what villanova did to us in the tournament last year.
    I bet Roy would love to have him at pg right now.

Quote Originally Posted by dyedwab View Post
    Because its interesting, and Bobby Hurley and Jason Williams, and Tommy Amaker and others didn't do it...
    Exactly my point. I love Jon but who would you rather have starting at point guard between those Jon and those three you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyDuke View Post
    whoa...

Jon did not have a good game and was bothered by pressure against Villanova last year, but he wasn't the only one. However, he played very well down the stretch last year, especially considering his position change past mid-season.

And, as noted several times in this thread, he is playing very, very well at PG this year.

A test against a Villanova-caliber team will be interesting, but Jon is our guy at PG this year, and shows every sign of handling it well.

Exactly my point. I love Jon but who would you rather have starting at point guard between those Jon and those three you mentioned.
    Do we get a chance and go back over our rosters for the last 20 years to pick our players?

People here are celebrating Jon's play and justifiably so. You appear determined to rain on this parade, and for no good reason.

Whew, you know we are having a bad day when I try to chime in as the voice of reason.

Chime in #1-- I am not sure I like how people are treating dukefanbrooklyn. There have been more than a few posts here that could be deemed worthy of an infraction because they attack the poster, not the post. And, let me assure you, his post was worthy of attacking.

Chime in #2-- dukefanbrooklyn has done a terrible job of either a) admiting he might be wrong or b) defending his quite inflammatory post or c) explaining further how he was misunderstood. As a result, it is hard not to see the ire directed as being at least a little bit justified.

Chime in #3-- reputation is a huge part of the community experience here on the DBR. Allow me to expand on this because I think it is really important.

Wanna know why the threads started by Jumbo almost always evolve into some of the most read and most replied to on the board? It is because folks know Jumbo brings a lot of thought and analysis to the table when he posts. He makes us think about Duke hoops. Most of us know that a Jumbo post is one worth reading... which puts him about ten notches above many of the rest of us

Conversely, dukefanbrooklyn has sullied his reputation to what may be an unrepairable state in this thread. If we had an "ignore" function on the DBR that allowed us to not see the comments of some posts, I am willing to bet that many of us would be ignoring everything dukefanbrooklyn had to say at this point. It is not that he said something negative about a Duke player, but his reluctance to explain and defend his points that causes us to feel this way. At this point, it would appear that most readers of this thread see him as either a young kid who knows nothing about the world or a troll who is only pretending to care about Duke hoops. Well, there is one other category into which he could fall-- abject fool when it comes to understanding basketball. Sadly, I suspect it is possible he is none of the above, but he has not given us a chance to see him otherwise.

I do not say any of this to imply that dfb should care what we think. The only thing more arrogant than posting to a bulletin board so others can read what you think is assuming that the folks who post to a bulletin board care what you think about what they post. Did that make sense?

I say all this to try to explain to dfb why I think it is unfortunate that he did not play things differently in this thread. I also say it to let folks know that a lot of us came down really hard on this dude. Lets try to be a bit less angry next time, mmmkay?

Thanks for listening.

--Jason "right about now, some of ya'll are probably wishing you had me on ignore" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Since you brought it up...

...the 1991 Duke team had assists on 56% of its baskets
    ...the 1992 Duke team has assists on 59% of its baskets

through the first 4 games of the season, the 2010 Duke team has assists on 57% of its baskets.

I recognize that this % will certainly go down - but neither of the teams of the last two years had assists on 50% of baskets

Once again, you asserted without evidence that Jon's lack of a turnovers means he's not being aggressive enough. There should be some comparative stat that at least sustains your point. I just found one that seems to refute it.

I'm willing to entertain your point, but if you are right, what I would expect to find is a team that has fewer assists on made baskets, scored fewer points, something that tells me that. I haven't found that...

Last edited by dyedwab; 11-22-2009 at 10:43 PM. Reason: typos

I'd rather have JWill at PG, JJ at shooting guard, Grant at SF, Battier at PF, and Laettner at C. I'd rather have Hurley, Ferry, Dawkins, and Brand as my backups.

(looks around)

But none of them seem to be at Duke right now. I just double checked. Bummer man. The fact that none of them are here must mean that the guys who are here really suck, right?

Dude, no offense, but the logic behind your arguments is... well... confusing at best.

--Jason "did I just violate what I wrote in my previous post?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    whoa...

Jon did not have a good game and was bothered by pressure against Villanova last year, but he wasn't the only one. However, he played very well down the stretch last year, especially considering his position change past mid-season.

And, as noted several times in this thread, he is playing very, very well at PG this year.

A test against a Villanova-caliber team will be interesting, but Jon is our guy at PG this year, and shows every sign of handling it well.
    I don't think it's an entirely unfounded statement; Jon is naturally more of a 2 than a point. Personally, I'm of the opinion that this makes his preformance this year more impressive, not less. I agree that a match-up against a Villanova type team will be interesting. Do people think that K might be using zone a bit in these early games as an option against those teams to allow the bigs to help with inside penetration?
    Last edited by Dukeface88; 11-22-2009 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Typo

Does anyone remember who guarded Jon when Duke played at UNC to end the last regular season? If it was, by an chance, the quicker Ty Lawson, Jon's stats were:

24 points (7-7 FG, 3-3 3PT), 5 assists, no turnovers

This was the first game I looked at to test the "quick guard" theory because I knew UNC had a quick guard. Anyway... five asists, zero turnovers... sounds familiar.