Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Man, K sure has sounded optimistic in the post-game conferences... its not so much what he says as how he says it. With every statement it feels like he really means "you think we look good now? wait until we get Mason back!"
    Well, I sure hope Mason makes a full recovery and comes back strong, but this "staged development" of the team is not necessarily bad:
    Playing without Nolan for two games led to adjustments
    Playing without Mason has also led to adjustments and other guys finding roles
    Players like Andre, Ryan, and Olek have had more opportunities in early games

Coach K: "I love my team".

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    In a word, NO. Will it be used as a weapon? Absolutely. It is one of the strength's of the team. But this team can score in a variety of ways due to the players we have available and the style of play K has crafted up for this team.

Don't be misled by the amount of 3's today. They simply took what the defense gave them. They are great shooters, but they also are great passers and cutters too.

At one point during the 2nd half today, they went to full blown motion on offense and got 2 lob dunks, 1 by Miles, and 1 by Kelly, and 3 layups. 2 by Scheyer and one by Kyle. It was a beauty to watch.

And guess what else, Lance Thomas took a 16 foot jumper just inside the top of the key and it was nothing but nylon!

This team will not live and die with the 3 ball as in the past 2 years...
    Ok, NOW I'm excited for this season! GO DUKE! Can't wait to see what happens when Mason gets back.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Coach K: "I love my team".
    Coach K saying that tells me something. It tells me that above and beyond the talent on the floor, these guys are smart, work hard and work together. I don't think Coach K says things like this without really meaning it, and if he LOVES this team, then I think there is something special brewing...

Not to be negative, and I am very excited about this team, but K says he loves his team every year. That is his nature. That said, what I hear him saying is that he thinks this team can do REALLY well through the year.

game highlights

Are the game highlights available anywhere for us to watch?

Andre's production is obviously thrilling but I'm equally as thrilled with what Kelly showed tonight. Some have alluded to fearing he may battle trying to fit in like Taylor King did but this is definitely not going to be the case. Despite not having any quickness his footwork is excellent on D and he seems to know where to be on the floor. He's still finding himself a little on offense but he knows where his shots are. Once again he's shown glimpses of being an excellent passing big.

Back to Andre, the play were he caught the skip pass at his ankles and hoisted it up immediately from the corner to drain the 3 was absolutely ridiculous. It wasn't even a clean looking catch but he managed to stay in rhythm all in one motion. This guy just has a beautiful stroke with a very quick release. And he looked quite confident out there today. He's obviously putting a lot of focus on his defense as well. Note the block and 3 steals.

My one red flag is our interior defense. I felt we were way too slow to rotate or collapse on their big guy Parakhouski. That guy was huge and mobile so I'm sure fighting him off the block wasn't easy but he seemed to have his way down there as well as opening up other opportunities at the basket. I wonder if that might become a focus on game film. Also, our primary bigs got themselves in foul trouble early in the 2nd. This wouldn't be good in ACC play.

Oh man what a great game tonight. This was my dads first game in cameron. We lit it up tonight. I'm very excited about this team. Ditto what everybody has been saying. Miles, obviously Dre and Kelly played great ( the young guys ). I was very impressed with Kelly and Dre's defense and knack for just playing unselfish bball. Kelly is a great passer to the post. Dre has the calmness and confidence of a senior. He is a stud. Every shot he takes looks like it has a chance to go in. Reminds me of JJ! Oh well no more rambling..

Oh I did almost run into Mrs. Curry. [Redacted text.] Another highlight of the night for sure...LOL! I froze up like a little teenager and I wanted to say I can't wait to see Seth play next yr.. instead I smiled and she smiled back!! It was priceless...

I've been a DBR reader for years and enjoy (most) everybodys posts and insight!

Go DUKE!!!
    Last edited by Bob Green; 11-21-2009 at 09:33 PM.

I'll readily admit I was part of the camp who did not expect Kelly to be a contributor this season, based on what I'd seen of him pre-practice. It appears I was dead wrong, which is thrilling. I get the feeling that he in particular benefits very much from K's style of coaching. The tentativeness and meekness we saw all summer appears to be all but gone, and it's awesome to see him asserting his skilled 6-10 self into the midst of the action. It also doesn't hurt that he's basically tailor made for our current offense.

I also have a feeling that Ryan Kelly is going to become one of the players you just love to watch play basketball. I always loved (and still love) watching Shane and Jon Scheyer play the college game, because they're just so smart and seem see the game on a different level than everyone else. They do all the little things perfectly, and are always a step ahead of the action.

Ryan obviously has a lot of work to do, but I get the feeling he possesses a similar quality. I really enjoy watching him on both ends of the court!

Freethrows

How about 16/17 from the line? (94%)

Are there any video recaps of this game?

Duke Blue Planet has the top 5 plays of the game, but that's the best I could do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6fBGJFQj_Y

Quote Originally Posted by ivydevil View Post
    Duke Blue Planet has the top 5 plays of the game, but that's the best I could do...

Thanks, it's something.

Here's a sequence of events: So Gerald leaves school after being blown out in the tourney and Elliot departs for Memphis due to personal tragedy. Hanstravel wins it all. Barnes chooses UNC despite most early signs pointing to Duke. Mason injures wrist. Nolan is suspended for the first two games of the season due to a technicality.

Having finished the setup, my question is this: Will Andre Dawkins turn into the most beloved Dukie in recent memory? His unexpected early arrival on campus has created some special opportunities for this team. Baby Face could end up being the difference between another season of our core players shouldering too much of the load and a season of limitless possibilities.

Well, regardless of how it turns out, I think most of us are very thankful right now that this young man put in the extra time so that he could help the team THIS season.
    Last edited by Poincaré; 11-22-2009 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Got too excited.

Quote Originally Posted by ivydevil View Post

Interesting that 3 of the 5 plays are passes by Kyle.

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to watch any Duke games yet. But, judging from what I've read here and what I've read on ESPN and such, we've looked pretty good. Great to hear Andre had a huge game tonight. Really helps building his confidence.

And something else I noticed was Plumlee (forget which one) getting a double-double. Another confidence boost

In general, it's great to see people outside of Singler and Scheyer having big games and us winning.

Smile 'Dre with the trey!

Olek bringing a little Czyzizzle. Kelly's passing has been outstanding. Miles has been solid, playing well defensively and bringing some offensive punch.

It's really early but this team has a chance to be really good. I'm thinking Duke might repeat as ACC champs this year (and maybe win the regular season title as well)

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    This team will not live and die with the 3 ball as in the past 2 years...
    more like 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Not to be negative, and I am very excited about this team, but K says he loves his team every year. That is his nature. That said, what I hear him saying is that he thinks this team can do REALLY well through the year.
    Maybe I am getting mixed up with him saying that this team has a chance to be a "Great" or a "Really Good" team. Oh well, like you I am very excited about this years squad...

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Interesting that 3 of the 5 plays are passes by Kyle.
    Love the drop down pass to Miles. Kyle immediately recognized the mismatch and dumped it down low for an easy put in. My son (a heel fan) laughs at me when I get excited about plays like that (not flashy), but I like to watch good teams that pass the ball well...

How could you raise a Heel fan.