Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

revisiting the new STAR TREK

i've got to admit, i don't go to the movie theater much any more. (except on opening day of each Bond movie)

not bragging but i've got a killer set up at the house....65" lcd and y'all KNOW i've got the throw-down audio to go with it...

anyway, watched Star Trek on blu ray last night and i've got to admit....the casting is excellent, on just about every main character. Good movies stand the test of repeated viewings and i've seen this one now 6 times...

Since they made so many spin offs for the original TV show, i've been a bit skeptical about anything more, but this movie was the exception.

great story, great re-introduction of those timeless characters, and all the wizardry of modern special efx....hard to beat...

am i just a trekkie homer? or did y'all dig it this much?

It was a pretty good flick , I thought it was well done and stands up nice to the other movies with the original cast. But The Wrath of Khan is by far the best,maybe they will attempt to remake it with the new cast.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i've got to admit, i don't go to the movie theater much any more. (except on opening day of each Bond movie)

not bragging but i've got a killer set up at the house....65" lcd and y'all KNOW i've got the throw-down audio to go with it...

anyway, watched Star Trek on blu ray last night and i've got to admit....the casting is excellent, on just about every main character. Good movies stand the test of repeated viewings and i've seen this one now 6 times...

Since they made so many spin offs for the original TV show, i've been a bit skeptical about anything more, but this movie was the exception.

great story, great re-introduction of those timeless characters, and all the wizardry of modern special efx....hard to beat...

Well, I have nowhere near that sort of set-up but I did re-watch Star Trek this week after seeing it in the theater and I enjoyed the repeat viewing..maybe even a bit more than the first time. It's a bit campy at times but so was the original..

good villain don't you think? we'll not be asking nero to dinner...

no remakes

Quote Originally Posted by Heelkiller1 View Post
    It was a pretty good flick , I thought it was well done and stands up nice to the other movies with the original cast. But The Wrath of Khan is by far the best,maybe they will attempt to remake it with the new cast.
    Count me as one Trekkie who is absolutely opposed to a remake. What is there to gain? This series is at its best when it's driven by fresh new ideas ... at its worst when he just rehashes tired old stories.

Wrath of Kahn was great ... it doesn't need to be remade.

I saw the newest Star Trek in the theaters and plan on buying the DVD very soon. But somebody correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't the point of this movie that we have a re-start of the franchise -- an alternate time line in which we don't have to abide by the future of the Star Trek Universe that we all know from TV?

I think there is a lot of room for innovation there.

Yea, I'm waiting to see it on my friend's screen. He's got a 1080p projector with a 120" screen with a kicking sound setup in a windowless room. He just upgraded to whatever the new Dolby is. I can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    But isn't the point of this movie that we have a re-start of the franchise -- an alternate time line in which we don't have to abide by the future of the Star Trek Universe that we all know from TV?

I think there is a lot of room for innovation there.
    totally agree...we've seen all that old stuff, loved it and just rehashing with new players doesn't really do much..

bring on the new stories graced with teaser "connection points" from past episodes and characters for spice...

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Yea, I'm waiting to see it on my friend's screen. He's got a 1080p projector with a 120" screen with a kicking sound setup in a windowless room. He just upgraded to whatever the new Dolby is. I can't wait.
    1080p blu ray just flat ROCKS...

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

I saw the newest Star Trek in the theaters and plan on buying the DVD very soon. But somebody correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't the point of this movie that we have a re-start of the franchise -- an alternate time line in which we don't have to abide by the future of the Star Trek Universe that we all know from TV?
    You make an excellent point. I guess that is why all these time travel stories are always so confusing.

I guess a Khan remake is possible, but not likely. Khan exists prior to this current movie, so him and his group would have to be found like in the original series and then the events would have to playout in a similar fashion.

Being a crusty old 55 year old, I can truly say the technology for home movie viewing is off the charts. I just upgraded to a 37 inch, 1080P Panasonic LCD, along with their 7.1 Blue-Ray Surround System and the viewing experience is unreal. Hard to believe it was only yesterday when a 25" B&W console was something special.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    I can truly say the technology for home movie viewing is off the charts.

and the bathroom is RIGHT there and the pause button may be the most amazing technical advancement

Definitely agree that the casting was fantastic. I'm going to wait a few months to get the DVD because I already saw the movie once in the theater, once in IMAX, and then again on a flight last month.. so I'm set for a while!

I've got the BluRay on my Xmas list. It will look good on my 60" LED-backlight 1080p screen.

***** SPOLIERS ******

I'm a Trekkie homer and I had some issues with the film. I never understood what those giant tubes of water were doing that Scotty got beamed into. What for giant turbines or something? WTF would turbines be doing on the enterprise? And clear tubing? That was just a gimmick for some physical comedy. I prefer when Star Trek tries to stick to at least go for some plausability.

And what's up with Spock abandoning Kirk on some ice planet? Since when would someone as logical as Spock violate all ethical, moral and Starfleet regulations in abandoning someone in such a situation? Totally unrealistic.

And where exactly is this ice planet/moon such that you could see the destruction of Vulcan so visibly in the sky? It would have to be DAMN close to be able to see it that large in the sky. And how ridiculously conincident was the meetup between Kirk and Spock on that planet? Like really unlikely?

I had some story issues. Most of the rest I liked.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    I've got the BluRay on my Xmas list. It will look good on my 60" LED-backlight 1080p screen.
    dood...that sounds sweet...what kind? lEd? awesome

***** SPOLIERS ******

What for giant turbines or something? WTF would turbines be doing on the enterprise? And clear tubing? That was just a gimmick for some physical comedy. I prefer when Star Trek tries to stick to at least go for some plausability.

don't you remember TRANSPARENT ALUMINUM? from the whales movie? scotty showed the guy back in 80's earth how to invent it, so it was definitely around for use on that enterprise.

And what's up with Spock abandoning Kirk on some ice planet? Since when would someone as logical as Spock violate all ethical, moral and Starfleet regulations in abandoning someone in such a situation? Totally unrealistic.

agreeed...out or place...didn't they have a brig onboard?
    Last edited by moonpie23; 11-21-2009 at 04:35 PM.

dood...that sounds sweet...what kind? lEd? awesome

***** SPOLIERS ******

don't you remember TRANSPARENT ALUMINUM? from the whales movie? scotty showed the guy back in 80's earth how to invent it, so it was definitely around for use on that enterprise.

agreeed...out or place...
    Yeah I remember transparent aluminum ... "Computer ... hello computer?" But it's there for what purpose?

It's a Samsung LED-backlit DLP. Two years old. Only 13" thick, so pretty thin for a DLP. It was half the price of a 60" plasma at the time.

Yeah I remember transparent aluminum ... "Computer ... hello computer?" But it's there for what purpose?

It's a Samsung LED-backlit DLP. Two years old. Only 13" thick, so pretty thin for a DLP. It was half the price of a 60" plasma at the time.
    comic relief for the hot fuzz guy...

He is the Shaun of the Dead guy, not the Hot Fuzz guy

A full on remake of Wrath of Kahn is a bad idea. There were so many clever plot moments in Wrath that just made the film -- days being hours and hours being days; Kirk and Spock figuring out that Khan was not an experienced captain so he would not think in 3 dimensions in a starship fight; Checkov and the black cop from the Terminator being victims of Khan's mind control; Spock sacrificing himself to fix the warp engines. None of these would pack the same punch in a new film where we saw the plot twists coming in advance. Now, if we are talking about a remake where the story is radically changed and we just use Khan as a bad guy character again, I guess I can buy that. That is really a new movie just with a familiar bad guy. I am cool with that. But, a remake that pulls a lot of the same plot elements would suck a lot, IMO.

I think the many coincidences regarding Kirk, Spock, and even Scotty in the new movie were meant to show that these people were MEANT TO BE A TEAM. Even when their timelines got messed up, fate found a way to bring them together and have them help each other. That is how I saw the 2nd half of the movie. See if it works for those of you who found some of the plot twists a bit improbable.

Lastly, here is an article talking about possible Star Trek 2 stuff with JJ and Damon Lindelhoff. There is a lot of talk about Khan out there.

--Jason "the new Khan? ---> " Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I don't think he has the pecs for it.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    He is the Shaun of the Dead guy, not the Hot Fuzz guy
    right...i saw SOTD about 4 or 5 times...my wife loved hot fuzz so i had to see it about 30 times...

'...Listen all a y'all this is SABOTAGE, listen all a y'all this is SABOTAGE, listen all a y'all this SABOTAGE!!!!! Iiiiiii can't stand it, I know ya planned it...'

I love that Beastie Boys theme song for the movie, 'Sabotage'.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie as well. I didn't want it to end.

dth.

I never cared for the original Star Trek (I prefer TNG), but I really enjoyed the movie. Good cast, good action, good villain. I'm looking forward to another.

My only nitpick was the weird alien friend of Simon Pegg. It was a bit Ewoky for my tastes.