Thread: A Lost Comment

A Lost Comment

Nothing huge here, but I happened to be thinking a bit about Lost this morning and for some reason I thought back to Jack's tattoo. At the time, his tattoo's meaning didn't seem like that big a deal. Recall that it was translated as, "he walks among us, but he is not one of us." We learned this while Jack was still a captive of the Others and it probably seemed like a reference to that situation.

But, of course, Lindelhoff and Cuse can lay clues and hints that have no meaning when we first see them but a lot more sense down the road. I think the tattoo may be just such a clue. What if the tattoo meant that Jack is now a traitor to the Lostaways and is secretly working with Ben and the Others. I've seen people specuating a bit about this and the meaning of the tattoo could imply some sort of hidden agenda or traitorous intention.

I would not be at all surprised if Ben was using Jack to make sure Juliett fulfills her mission, so she may not even know that Jack is part of Ben's plan. I think we could see Jack's treachery as the last shocking revelation at the end of the season finale.

Ben is a master manipulator-- does anyone doubt that he would figure out a way to get Jack to do his bidding before letting Jack go?

-Jason "final few episodes gonna be goooood!" Evans

Ben's fate

One more thing just came to me. We are supposedly going to meet Jacob in coming episodes. This is Ben's "boss" -- the real leader of the Others. I am very concerned that this may be a prelude for killing off Ben. After all, once we meet the guy who is pulling Ben's stings, Ben becomes much less important and imposing.

Remember when everyone thought the bearded dude was the leader of the Others? Now he is barely a character anymore. Last we saw he was playing catch with Jack. Whenever you reveal a new, more powerful Other, the previous leader loses their importance. Ben is toast as soon as wee meet Jacob.

All the rumors are that there will be a major clash between the Lostaways and the Others and both sides will suffer casualties. Well, who could the Others lose who would matter other than Ben or Juliett?

Ok, I can come up with one scenario where Ben makes it-- if we meet Jacob but Jacob gets killed. Aside from taht happening, I think Ben is in real trouble.

-Jason "I don't have any inside info here-- just speculating wildly" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    One more thing just came to me. We are supposedly going to meet Jacob in coming episodes. This is Ben's "boss" -- the real leader of the Others. I am very concerned that this may be a prelude for killing off Ben. After all, once we meet the guy who is pulling Ben's stings, Ben becomes much less important and imposing.

Remember when everyone thought the bearded dude was the leader of the Others? Now he is barely a character anymore. Last we saw he was playing catch with Jack. Whenever you reveal a new, more powerful Other, the previous leader loses their importance. Ben is toast as soon as wee meet Jacob.

All the rumors are that there will be a major clash between the Lostaways and the Others and both sides will suffer casualties. Well, who could the Others lose who would matter other than Ben or Juliett?

Ok, I can come up with one scenario where Ben makes it-- if we meet Jacob but Jacob gets killed. Aside from taht happening, I think Ben is in real trouble.

-Jason "I don't have any inside info here-- just speculating wildly" Evans
    I've watched every episode and I don't recall anything re: jacob --- Where did that come from? (And do we know anything about him?)

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    My money is completely on Ben. I hate to use "meta-reasoning," but that guy gives good psycho. You just don't blow that actor/character away to replace him with someone else.

Of course, I said something similar about Eko, so what do I know?

Jack going to the "other" side? Again, I hate to apply meta-reasoning, but I just don't think that the producers are going to do that to the audience. They might yank our chain a la the football game, but they're not REALLY going to make Jack turn to the other side.

Couldn't it be possible that Jack started on the Other side, that he was put (or put himself) on the plane so that he could fix Ben but also so that he could herd the group? But that would be cheating, since we saw him in multiple solo shots where he didn't act like an Other. He also isn't easily turned--he turned against his own father, after all, and I don't think a simple promise off the island would be enough to get him to like them in a few days. Has to be some additional history that we haven't heard.

But, if he didn't put himself there, who did? presumably Jacob, a name that alludes to a bunch of deceiving people in the Bible. I'm thinking that perhaps his father is Jaco. he wouldn't be the first person to rise from a tomb in order to perform miracles and lead his people...

Jacob

I had completely missed this character even being mentioned. For those like me:

http://lostpedia.com/wiki/Jacob

7. Speaking of 'Lost," the current official podcast is probably the most informative yet.

And, if I can pimp my own blog for a minute here (won't happen again, I promise), I write a weekly post that tries to fill in a lot of the details you might miss if you aren't watching closely. Some people here might enjoy it.

I'd looked around for theories and now see lots. Nice blog. Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Couldn't it be possible that Jack started on the Other side, that he was put (or put himself) on the plane so that he could fix Ben but also so that he could herd the group? But that would be cheating, since we saw him in multiple solo shots where he didn't act like an Other. He also isn't easily turned--he turned against his own father, after all, and I don't think a simple promise off the island would be enough to get him to like them in a few days. Has to be some additional history that we haven't heard.

But, if he didn't put himself there, who did? presumably Jacob, a name that alludes to a bunch of deceiving people in the Bible. I'm thinking that perhaps his father is Jaco. he wouldn't be the first person to rise from a tomb in order to perform miracles and lead his people...
    I may be wrong but I believe the producers have said several times that Jack's father is dead. I really, really doubt that he will come back. I think Jacob will be someone we have not met yet. There is a rumor that Ron Pearlman will play Jacob.

My theory about Jack working with Ben is not that Jack is 100% turned into an Other, but that Ben's manipulation of Jack has forced Jack into a corner or tricked Jack into doing Ben's bidding. This would allow the show to turn Jack and then easily turn him back to the side of the Lostaways. It would be sorta like how Ben manipulated Michael, though without as dire consequences (Jack must be redeemable so he cannot kill anyone, IMO).

-Jason "I think we will meet Jacob in 2 episodes" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDiablo View Post
    Speaking of 'Lost," the current official podcast is probably the most informative yet.

And, if I can pimp my own blog for a minute here (won't happen again, I promise), I write a weekly post that tries to fill in a lot of the details you might miss if you aren't watching closely. Some people here might enjoy it.
    I concur that BD's blog entries are awesome and I heartily reccomend them.

From his latest blog comes the following comment based on the Lost Podcast:
    Christian Shepard is, in fact, dead. On other occasions, the writers have made it abundantly clear that those who die in LOST stay dead.
    Which tells me that Patchy was never dead. Anyone still have a copy of the episode where Patchy "died" in the sonic fence? I'd love to watch that scene again to see how he faked his death. I recall there being a dial on the fence when Juliet disarmed it, maybe there are different settings and the fence was only set to "stun" when patchy went through it.

"Set to stun"-- good god, talk about taking a page out of the Star Trek playbook.

-Jason "the show better explain why Patchy lived!!" Evans

My theory about Jack working with Ben is not that Jack is 100% turned into an Other, but that Ben's manipulation of Jack has forced Jack into a corner or tricked Jack into doing Ben's bidding.
    It wouldn't surprise me a bit. In fact, I still wonder about that breakfast that Ben had with Kate and wouldn't be surprised if he 'compromised' anyone who went to the other island (or really anyone he spent time with alone). He wasn't ever alone with Hurley, was he?

Question for the experts (thanks for your continued patience): we/I tend to assume that the gang was brought to the Island for a purpose. Evidence for a directed purpose includes all of the coincidence and interrelationship, especially in the flashbacks and the appearance of people/objects from the past (jack's father) and present (Locke's father) and comic books (polar bears), etc.

Is there a well-developed theory that would dispense with most of the supernatural and focus on the island's ability to affect fantasy/dreams/wishes and make them come real? Walt was reading the comic book, and the polar bear showed up. Locke is upset that his father is in control, and that leads the father to be found, tied up, and likely in for a rough episode. The big coincidences (shared fathers, monk mothers, etc) could be the result of some sort of shared Jungian archetypal dream thing that is stimulated by the island, which would lead father and mother archetypes to be generated, so that the flashback coincidences wouldn't relate to a particular father but to Father as an archetype. We see them as, say, Jack's father because that father needs a face. And the Nigerian plane didn't crash as much as it was willed onto the island by a convergence of condensed fantasies that allow the Nigerian plane to serve as stimulus for brother reunion, heroin source, Locke's "just say no" moral authority, heroism/death, surgical heroism/failure, killing off of the brother so that sister can be independent and fall in love before she dies, etc. This would mean that the plane wasn't there until they arrived and had some time to reflect and jazz each other up.

The government might be fascinated by the island for the usual reasons--if you can harness the power of the island, you can probably win wars and influence countries. The most powerful person we have seen so far, Ben, was apparently able to "will/fantasize" the pulse that brought down the plane. Not that he necessarily knew how the wish would come true, but when he saw the plane go down, he would likely have an inkling that his answer would be on it. Such power is too imprecise and messy and would likely have some real problems. And of course, we all have lots of fantasies, and only a few pop up.

Too long, sorry about. As someone said, I didn't have enough time to make it short.

My theory for the "big picture" is that none of us have a theory that works. There are significant and subtle aspects of the overall mythology that we simply cannot guess at but which will have to be revealed. I just think that is the case in something as complicated at this.

I will say that I think many of the "crossing paths" stuff among the main characters will turn out to be coincidence or simply chalked up to "fate." I think the writers/producers use it as a fun gimmick, but it is not part of some huge plan for the show nor is it part of the overall mystery of the island.

-Jason "still, I love to read theories-- they make me think" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Ben, was apparently able to "will/fantasize" the pulse that brought down the plane.
    When was that revealed?

Quote Originally Posted by dcarp23 View Post
    When was that revealed?
    "Revealed" would be too strong a word.

I think he knew he needed surgery, and then he saw the plane going down, and he didn't seem as surprised as everyone, and he coolly sent out 2 spies to look for survivors. It could be that a) he knew exactly what was giong to happen, b) he was as surprised as everyone, and/or c) he didn't know how his wish would be granted, but he knew the island and so he knew something would happen since he is especially good at tapping into the island's powers. I'm thinking c, at least for this post.