Thread: Duke in Europe

Duke in Europe

Apparently Duke has offered a Serbian center named Stefan Nastic.

http://crownmagonline.com/recruiting...time-programs/

Im guessing he has a Euro style game.

Pronounced "Nas - Teech" -- think of the nickname and chant possibilities...

Quote Originally Posted by RainingThrees View Post
    Apparently Duke has offered a Serbian center named Stefan Nastic.

http://crownmagonline.com/recruiting...time-programs/

Im guessing he has a Euro style game.
    Backup plan to MP3?

That's what I was going to ask, but it didn't specify which class he was in.

Nastic is Nasty!!! Catchy, huh?

Nasty Nas. Thats what Nas the rapper used to call himself.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    That's what I was going to ask, but it didn't specify which class he was in.
    In one of the comments to the article, a poster said 2011. Not like that's a definitive answer, but it also makes sense.

To be precise, he actually plays at a secondary school in Ontario, Canada... so Duke isn't actually traveling to Europe to recruit.

ESPN has him listed as graduating in 2010, but their information has him listed as grade of 40 with no offers (supposedly last updated today). I don't have Insider access, so I'm not sure what else the page says about him. Another article I found that was published in February 2008 mentioned that he was in grade 10 at the time... so that lines up with him graduating in 2010. He may be planning to go to prep school for a year, though.

I don't know if I'm sold that Duke has offered him. We'll see.

He may be from Europe originally but he's actually playing HS Ball in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    I don't know if I'm sold that Duke has offered him. We'll see.
    Agreed. High school ball in Canada isn't very strong, and anyone who has heard the legend of Ivan Chiriaev will know why. It seems like there are some decent Canadian players coming up, but almost all of them play for US prep schools like Findlay Prep.

Ivan Chiriaev

Quote Originally Posted by JaMarcus Russell View Post
    Agreed. High school ball in Canada isn't very strong, and anyone who has heard the legend of Ivan Chiriaev will know why.
    Not to mention Greg Newton.

Quote Originally Posted by JaMarcus Russell View Post
    Agreed. High school ball in Canada isn't very strong, and anyone who has heard the legend of Ivan Chiriaev will know why. It seems like there are some decent Canadian players coming up, but almost all of them play for US prep schools like Findlay Prep.
    Dan Meagher, Greg Newton?

Implications for MP3??

Just wondering what this means relative to our recruitment of MP3... Since the final Plumlee installment supposedly rates way up there in the 2011 class, and since you'd assume we have a pretty decent shot at him, I'm just surprised to see us offer (verified?) someone at the same position already. Of course, you could always say that the two of them could compliment each other, playing together. But with our relatively limited number of scholarships for 2011, and our fairly strong position among several top-15 caliber recruits - Beal, Rivers, Miller - this kid must be pretty good to garner that sort of attention/offer from Duke.

Would love to see some verification from one of our program insiders regarding the offer assertion. And would like to hear more about his skill set (i.e. is it complimentary to MP3?).

international talent

This actually brings up an interesting potential consequence to Coach K's role as the big cheese with Team USA that I had not previously considered. Presumably, this role places K in a highly visible position internationally, and may open up doors to recruiting the international talent pool. What better route for an international prospect to get to the NBA than to play college ball at Duke for the coach that moonlights with Kobe, Lebron, Dwight, etc.

Duke has had "international" players on the roster under Coach K (e.g. Marty, Czyz, Deng), but IIRC these guys actually played high school/AAU ball in the US prior to being recruited by Duke. Has Duke had any true international players that did not first make the transition to the US? (and I don't include Canada as international). Does Duke basketball actively scout/recruit oversees?

I'm pretty sure this guy hasn't been offered. Might just be someone trying to build up his hype or some miscommunication down the line.

Coach K

has gotten some criticism on this board for not scoring some high profile recruits these past few years. Many have harped on and on about him, putting all his eggs in one basket.

Now that he's looking at multiple players for a particular position, some are getting antsy and worrying about that.

Sorry folks, but you can't have it both ways.