Thread: Trey Zeigler

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Wouldn't that just put Duke at 13?

Mason/Kelly/Dawkins/Curry
    Thornton/Hairston
    Rivers/Cook/Gbinije
    Plumlee/Murphy/Sulaimon

That's 12, with one left for Muhammad, Jefferson, Parker or Zeigler. More if someone leaves.
    You are right. My bad, I miscounted.
    Interesting. Would love to get the Ziegler kid. Still hoping for Jefferson too. (I see Muhammad and Parker as real long shots at this point)

Thornton/Hairston
    Rivers/Cook/Gbinije
    Plumlee/Murphy/Sulaimon

That's 12, with one left for Muhammad, Jefferson, Parker or Zeigler. More if someone leaves.
    Taking it one step further, if Zeigler commits to Duke, then it would be safe to assume 1 of the following:

1. Muhammad, Amile, and/or TP are not commiting to Duke.
    2. At least 1 current player will transfer if 1 of the HS seniors does commit to Duke.
    3. At least 1 current player will give up their scholly if 1 of the HS seniors commit.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    Taking it one step further, if Zeigler commits to Duke, then it would be safe to assume 1 of the following:

1. Muhammad, Amile, and/or TP are not commiting to Duke.
    2. At least 1 current player will transfer if 1 of the HS seniors does commit to Duke.
    3. At least 1 current player will give up their scholly if 1 of the HS seniors commit.
    Well, Duke also has two projected first round draft picks. That seems as likely a scenario as any other.

Well, Duke also has two projected first round draft picks. That seems as likely a scenario as any other.
    Also, there's always the possibility that Zafirowski is awarded a scholarship for his senior year. It's not a given, but is a possibility.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Also, there's always the possibility that Zafirowski is awarded a scholarship for his senior year. It's not a given, but is a possibility.
    Given his family, I suspect a scholarship is entirely necessary.

-jk

Thornton/Hairston
    Rivers/Cook/Gbinije
    Plumlee/Murphy/Sulaimon

...or if someone offers to give up their scholarship...

(and by "leaves" obviously we include both 'to the NBA' or 'to transfer').

Interesting development. Nobody concerned more about this kid potentially overlapping positions/skills with Silent-G, Murphy, or RS?

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    ...or if someone offers to give up their scholarship...

(and by "leaves" obviously we include both 'to the NBA' or 'to transfer').

Interesting development. Nobody concerned more about this kid potentially overlapping positions/skills with Silent-G, Murphy, or RS?
    Not really. Can't those players cover three different positions?

Decisions, decisions...

He's 6-5 195 so he's really a shooting guard. Since Duke will probably go back to a two-guard lineup once Dawkins, Curry, and Rivers leave (who knows, maybe all three will leave together next year if Austin stays another season) then he would only overlap with Sulaimon. It would work.

Seems like the team is a little stronger on small and big, with some gaps on the 15' middle. Maybe TZ could help.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Given his family, I suspect a scholarship is entirely necessary.

-jk
    Haha, that's a fair point. I just focused on the point that Coach K has rewarded some walk-ons in the past with a scholarship...didn't know if Todd was being considered for one as well, even with his family.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

11. I hope he commits.

Duke has had really good seasons when transfers were sitting out under Coach K:

- Roshown McLeod: 18-13 record in 1996, the year Coach K was back after the disastrous 13-18 season

- Dahntay Jones: 2001 national championship

- Seth Curry: 2010 national championship

- Trey Ziegler: ?

Efficiency

Someone mentioned that he was hardly efficient, quoting his #s from Pomeroy. That's actually a misleading bit - Efficiency really drops as one's usage and percentage of shots goes up, regardless of talent.

Ziegler takes 30.9% of his team's shots when on the floor and is used on 31.6% of possessions of his team this year, both in the top 50. For comparison, Austin took 25.5% of the shots and was used on 24.1% of possessions.

Even Seth Curry, while he took more shots, was used on less percentage of possessions in Liberty on his Freshmen year (and was far less efficient than he is now). So his efficiency is naturally down.

Ziegler's a real talent who'd be interesting...if we had a spot for him.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

We can ooh and aah over several of these prospects, but there's an old saying, "A bird in the hand, is worth two in the bush."

If Trey gets offered and accepts right away then that's that. The other kids have had there chance and couldn't reach a decision for whatever reason. It's their loss.

Do transfers count against the scholarship limit for the year in which they sit out? I think they do, but it's kind of unfair that the NCAA counts them as members of the team for that purpose, yet they aren't allowed to be recognized as part of the team for other purposes (Seth couldn't even get a championship ring). I'm curious because in the other recruiting threads people keep talking about needing a guy who can come in a contribute immediately, but getting Zeigler might make that impossible if it means he's our 13th scholly for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    He's 6-5 195 so he's really a shooting guard. Since Duke will probably go back to a two-guard lineup once Dawkins, Curry, and Rivers leave (who knows, maybe all three will leave together next year if Austin stays another season) then he would only overlap with Sulaimon. It would work.
    Don't forget Matt Jones. We'll have 2 guys each at PG, SG, and SF in the 2013-2014 season even without Zeigler. Now, Zeigler (as essentially a senior development-wise) may be in a better position to contribute than a sophomore Sulaimon or a freshman Jones. But there is no question that we'd have a lot of overlap. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing if the overlap is with really good players. It could be that Murphy would see more time at PF, but that's still a crowded picture.

Could be More than Just 1 Scholarship Available to Incoming Recruits...

Quote Originally Posted by dcdevil2009 View Post
    Do transfers count against the scholarship limit for the year in which they sit out? I think they do, but it's kind of unfair that the NCAA counts them as members of the team for that purpose, yet they aren't allowed to be recognized as part of the team for other purposes (Seth couldn't even get a championship ring). I'm curious because in the other recruiting threads people keep talking about needing a guy who can come in a contribute immediately, but getting Zeigler might make that impossible if it means he's our 13th scholly for next year.
    Yes, transfers and redshirts sitting out DO count towards the total. Folks seem to be ignoring some of our true insiders' comments when they say things like, "If this kid X has been offered, as well as these others, then K and staff know what they're doing and have a plan..."

My money is still on the "Lee Melchioni path" - with one or more players from wealthier families offering to give back a scholarship if really needed by the team. Of course, we won't know for another 6 weeks, for sure, who is going or staying.

Hmmmm.

Yes, transfers and redshirts sitting out DO count towards the total. Folks seem to be ignoring some of our true insiders' comments when they say things like, "If this kid X has been offered, as well as these others, then K and staff know what they're doing and have a plan..."

My money is still on the "Lee Melchioni path" - with one or more players from wealthier families offering to give back a scholarship if really needed by the team. Of course, we won't know for another 6 weeks, for sure, who is going or staying.

Hmmmm.
    That would be a very unselfish move, especially considering that doing so would likely result in a minutes crunch for somebody. We're already going to be "too deep" (in terms of getting everyone significant minutes) without any additional players. Foregoing a scholarship to make the minutes crunch even worse seems unlikely.

That said, I'd love it if it happened. The more good talent (especially tall, athletic wing players with proven D-1 scoring ability) the better.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    That would be a very unselfish move, especially considering that doing so would likely result in a minutes crunch for somebody. We're already going to be "too deep" (in terms of getting everyone significant minutes) without any additional players. Foregoing a scholarship to make the minutes crunch even worse seems unlikely.

That said, I'd love it if it happened. The more good talent (especially tall, athletic wing players with proven D-1 scoring ability) the better.
    Agree. Ziegler sounds like more of a true wing a la Nate James or Brian Davis (vs another SG), given that he has averaged ~6 rpg thus far in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Agree. Ziegler sounds like more of a true wing a la Nate James or Brian Davis (vs another SG), given that he has averaged ~6 rpg thus far in his career.
    Duke could use a guy like Nate or Brian, but those of those guys were pretty phyically imposing guys. Not sure I see Zeigler being that type of guy though. But I wouldn't be against seeing him head to Duke.
    http://www.dukesportsblog.com/

Twitter: @MikeKlineDSB

Facebook: Duke Sports Blog

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    Duke could use a guy like Nate or Brian, but those of those guys were pretty phyically imposing guys. Not sure I see Zeigler being that type of guy though. But I wouldn't be against seeing him head to Duke.
    I'm not sure either if Ziegler is on the same level as Nate or Brian, but just having a rebound guard (at all) could have made a significant difference this year. Four or five extra rebounds per game could have gone a long, long way. Two years down the line, however, it is less clear whether that will be an area of need or not, especially with all the tall, athletic wings we might have. So who knows?