Smile Reality Bites

:Originally Posted by allenmurray
    Could we use √7 or π
    : Originally posted by El Diablo.

That's not rational.
    No, but at least it's real.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by The Gordog View Post
    No. Jon is going to get #30 retired after leading us to a National Championship and being named NPOY.

Just thinking posatively. (sp?)
    I thought I was a glass half full guy. You are spewing Duke blue and I love it. But I dont think even if we did win a NC, Jon would get his number retired. Kyle....now that another story.

Honestly, i think a national championship should be a mandatory...NPOY honors are nice, but NC's is what its all about...Dont kill me for saying this but I just dont think JJ, and Sheldon belong up there with, williams, battier, leattner, hurley, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by sweetchiba51 View Post
    Honestly, i think a national championship should be a mandatory...NPOY honors are nice, but NC's is what its all about...Dont kill me for saying this but I just dont think JJ, and Sheldon belong up there with, williams, battier, leattner, hurley, etc..
    What about Groat, Heyman, Mullins, Gminski, Dawkins (Johnny), Ferry? I'd venture to say that NPOY is as elusive as a national Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Could we use √7 or π
    Pi would work well because a referee can easily signal it. So would phi (the golden ratio, [1+sqrt(5)]/2). Not sure how you'd do square root signs with your hands.

Personally, though, I'd prefer to see Planck's constant.

Hey, that's two Max Planck references from me in one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    It's been awhile since we've had a Duke guy wear jersey #1. Also, don't think we've ever had a double zero either.
    I want to see Hairston wear 00. Like Arthur from Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueequalslife23 View Post
    I want to see Hairston wear 00. Like Arthur from Kansas.
    Or Montross & Haywood of the sheep,

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    Hopefully, someday we will have the problem of too many retired numbers. But, I think we are putting the cart before the horse..

And, unless K changes his stance on numbers, Irving isn't wearing #1.
    What's coach K's stance on jerseys?

Smile Honestly, I Don't

So, if Duke had not won a national championship, then no jerseys should have been retired?

I thought these were celebrations of individual careers (A-A, NPOY, etc.). If we win a National Championship we put a huge tapestry covering up some major wall space at the end of CIS. Why should we only recognize individuals who play on these teams? Don't they get rings, anyway?

sagegrouse

I disagree with this. JJ was the ACC all time leading points leader when he left. That is a no brainer retirement. However, if there is one name in the rafters I think is questionable it may be Sheldon. He was obviously a great player for us, but I think only borderline when it comes to retiring the jersey.

i know, i know, i guess maybe only sheldon is questionable...i just put the fore mentioned players on a higher pedestal...The things those guys did for this program, and the way they just refused to lose gives me goose bumps..

Go Duke!

Shelden

What a great problem to have! I think whether your a heel or a devil you can appreciate all the great players that have played on both sides. That make the rivalry what it is. Im sure most of you have bad memories about a lot of the players in our rafters, as my bad memories are hung in the rafters of Cameron indoor. Shane Battier is the first that comes to mind. Then there is JJ Reddick who I absolutely hated! One of my greatest joys in life came seeing him cry on senior night at cameron indoor. (sorry) Dawkins was before my time but he is still a thorn in my side anytime I see highlights.
    Last edited by Carolina_Blue; 11-19-2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: forgot reddick

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Shelden
    Maybe after 10 years we'll be able to spell his name correctly...
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Shelden

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlue08 View Post
    I disagree with this. JJ was the ACC all time leading points leader when he left. That is a no brainer retirement. However, if there is one name in the rafters I think is questionable it may be Sheldon. He was obviously a great player for us, but I think only borderline when it comes to retiring the jersey.
    He was NDPOY and first team AA, though. I think he deserves to be up there.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    He was NDPOY and first team AA, though. I think he deserves to be up there.
    He was actually NDPOY TWICE...and he's the career leader in blocks and rebounds at Duke. He might have been overshadowed a little bit playing with JJ--but Shelden fully deserves to have his jersey retired.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    No, but at least it's real.

sagegrouse
    still radical though...
    April 1

21 Numbers Remain

FYI, there are still 21 active numbers available, without using 0, 00, or 1, and without using digits 6 thru 9.

No more media guides

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    The Duke Men's Basketball Media Guide is a treasure trove for this sort of thing. This section has a write-up of several paragraphs for each player that has had their jersey retired.

Yup - I can even remember when contributors to the Iron Dukes were annually sent a copy of the football and basketball media guides...

Sheldon would be iffy...but JJ is an easy call. Great player.