Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast

Quincy Miller to Baylor

He visited Duke (for the 4th time) yesterday and was formally offered by Coach K. Miller also visited Duke last Wednesday and met with Coach K but no talk of offer was made. No doubt, Elliot Williams' departure has changed things. Miller is the first player offered in the class of 2011 and he is a good one.

6'8'' 180 pounds, Miller has offers from Wake Forest, Virginia Tech, Illinois, Purdue, Auburn, South Carolina, and Oregon State. He is having a terrific AAU season and will no doubt be a 5 star and top 10 player in his class when the new rankings come out at the end of the summer. North Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas, Oklahoma and Florida are also involved and will probably offer at some point.

I really like our chances to land this kid. He grew up in Chicago but recently moved to Winston-Salem, NC. He's visited Duke's campus many times to talk with Coach K and scrimmage with the guys on campus. He came to the UNC-Duke game last year in CIS to learn about the rivalry and came away very impressed.

His uncle, who is his gaurdian and high school coach, had this to say:
    "He already liked Duke and it's not secret that he likes the ACC a whole lot, among some other schools," he explained. "He loves Duke, as well as Wake Forest. But he truly has a strong interest in Duke and loves what they have going."

Keep your head up fellas. Next year will be tough, but the future is bright. Duke will be back.

Don't give any ground...

Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post

Keep your head up fellas. Next year will be tough, but the future is bright. Duke will be back.
    Hello,

I still think we can win the ACC regular season and ACC tournament. I think a Sweet 16 or even better is possible. I think we could win 30 games next year. I am not giving an INCH, not an INCH.

So, we've had a few bad breaks. That is life. We will have a season for the ages.

GO DUKE!

Awesome. He sounds like he would be a great addition.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recru...ruitId%3d77359

And another D-One Sports product at that... surely Mr. Clifton owes K one, no?

There seems to be some belief that Miller is not finished growing. He has been compared to Chris Bosh.

I could live with that.

I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    I am not giving an INCH, not an INCH.

GO DUKE!
    I love your optimism. I wish I could be more like you.

Duke Por Vida!

He plays SF and according to scout he is going to be listed as 6'9 next time they update the rankings due to hitting another growth spurt. He's also primed to move into the top 10 for the 2011 class in the next scout rankings. He is very athletic and very good and would definitely create mismatch issues, he just needs to put on some muscle/ weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightz View Post
    He plays SF and according to scout he is going to be listed as 6'9 next time they update the rankings due to hitting another growth spurt. He's also primed to move into the top 10 for the 2011 class in the next scout rankings. He is very athletic and very good and would definitely create mismatch issues, he just needs to put on some muscle/ weight.
    SF may be his NBA position, assuming he improves on his outside game, but at Duke he will be playing the hybrid PF position much like Battier, Singler, etc.

Only a rising junior, by the time he gets to college, he could be 6'10+ 230+.

I doubt he'll get to 235 as I think he only weighs like 165 right now, that's a lot of weight to put on. Hybrid forward would work for him but straight up PF probably not given his current strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightz View Post
    I doubt he'll get to 235 as I think he only weighs like 165 right now, that's a lot of weight to put on. Hybrid forward would work for him but straight up PF probably not given his current strength.
    Jerry Meyer at Rivals says he weighs 193, 6-8 with a 7-1 wingspan. A young Kevin Durant apparently:

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.c...asp?CID=959521

Interesting quote by Miller's uncle and guardian:

"They did offer during our meeting," he said. "After he played (at Duke) the first time, Coach K's players told him they had no doubt (Quincy) could fit with Duke. They told Coach K that he played better than all of the others that day. That's not to say he was better than the others - but just on that day he played better than the others. They told Coach K they were really impressed."

While on campus yesterday, he played pickup ball again with the Duke players, this time with two future Devils in Tyler Thornton and Joshua Hairston, who no doubt will be in his ear to come to Duke.

I think Miller will take his time and won't decide anytime soon, but I have to think that Duke is one of his leaders, if not THE leader.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    Jerry Meyer at Rivals says he weighs 193, 6-8 with a 7-1 wingspan. A young Kevin Durant apparently:

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.c...asp?CID=959521
    Yeah I was incorrect about his weight, a recent scout article put him weighing at 205. I hope we can land this kid early on to start of the 2011 class right.

Hello,

I am not giving an INCH, not an INCH.

GO DUKE!
    Yes indeed Kewlswim! That's what I like to hear. You go man!!

Both Scout and Rivals have updated their 2011 rankings, and Quincy Miller has made a big jump in both.

Rivals #3 overall (#1 PF), 5-star
    Scout #8 overall (#3 PF), 5-star

After a very impressive summer so far, it was expected that Quincy Miller would make a big jump in the rankings. I'm not sure I expected this much of a jump, but he is being compared to Kevin Durant. Hope Duke lands this kid. Jerry Meyer of Rivals thinks Duke has a very good shot and expects this to be an ACC battle.

Hello,

I still think we can win the ACC regular season and ACC tournament. I think a Sweet 16 or even better is possible. I think we could win 30 games next year. I am not giving an INCH, not an INCH.

So, we've had a few bad breaks. That is life. We will have a season for the ages.

GO DUKE!
    You are now officially an Apprentice of Optimism! You are joining Turk in this year's class!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quincy Miller -- Best Player in NC

NORTH CAROLINA HOT DOZEN HIGH SCHOOL PLAYERS
    1. Quincy Miller, PF, Quality Education Academy, 2011
    2. Reggie Bullock, SG, Kinston, 2010 NORTH CAROLINA
    3. C.J. Leslie, PF, Word of God, 2010
    4. Damontre Harris, PF, Trinity Christian, 2010 SOUTH CAROLINA
    5. Ian Miller, PG, United Faith, 2010 FLORIDA STATE
    6. P.J. Hairston, SG, Dudley, 2011 NORTH CAROLINA
    7. Marquis Rankin, PG, Vance, 2011
    8. Marshall Plumlee, PF, Christ School, 2011
    9. Luke Cothron, PF, Flora McDonald Academy, 2010
    10. J.T. Terrell, SG, West Charlotte, 2010 WAKE FOREST
    11. Melvin Tabb, PF, Enloe, 2010 WAKE FOREST
    12. Peter Jurkin, C, United Faith Academy, 2012

Private and Charter high schools

Wow- 7 of the 12 are not at public high schools. I know this is increasingly common in high school basketball. Is this phenomoneon growing because a private school can go to more tournaments, play across state lines and maybe even get more leniency from teachers on assignments and missing class?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Wow- 7 of the 12 are not at public high schools. I know this is increasingly common in high school basketball. Is this phenomoneon growing because a private school can go to more tournaments, play across state lines and maybe even get more leniency from teachers on assignments and missing class?
    Private schools are also allowed to recruit. Obviously, public schools don't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Also interesting is that 5 of those 7 are from NCISAA 1-A private high schools (and I'm not sure what QEA is, but I believe it is another very small school that is just not a member of the NCISAA). The cutoff for that size classification is around 30-35 students per class. The only semi-traditional big "powerhouse" private school on that list is Christ School.

It's a very different model than even the more traditional powers like Ravenscroft, Greensboro Day, Charlotte Latin, etc, who maintain a solid depth of talent each year largely through the size of their school and their reputation, rather than solely relying on aggressive recruiting. I'm sure it's good for elite recruits, but I don't know how great it is for HS basketball in general. For example, according to NCISAA.org, #4 seed and eventual 1-A state champ United Faith beat the #13 seed by 65 points in the state tournament. I don't know, I just hate to say a mockery being made of the kids that are just playing for the school the grew up in (be it public or private), because that's what makes HS basketball special. The "factories" should have a different classification at least, IMO.

[/Rant]