Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Barnes to UNC

Welcome, ChicagoHeel

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoHeel View Post
    I'm with those of you who argue that too much is being made of one recruit's decision. You never know how things will work out once the player is on the court and perceptions change faster than most of us appreciate. In the SI Vault Section, there was recently a long article that lauded Duke's 2005 recruiting class, I think it was called the "The Duke Way"; it made Duke sound frighteningly good. Reading it I was surprised by how logical and yet completely wrong it turned out to be- and by how it feels like the distant past, even though it was only four years ago. Things can change quickly.

As to why HB chose UNC, I t hink it's pretty easy. If you were forced to bet something really valuable to you , like your job or your house, on which of the teams on Barnes' list would make a Final Four in the 2-3 years Barnes could potentially play, which would you choose?

Playing in the Final Four is the best way for a college player to enhance NBA credentials, not that Barnes needs that, and assure a legacy in the college game, which he indicated in his press conference yesterday is of importance. He would get a good education and a chance to demonstrate his considerable skill at any of the schools on his list, but I would wager that he's guessing UNC will play the most NCAA tournament games. Someone with HB's talent and obvious love of the spotlight (a televised ceremony to sign a letter of intent involving a Skype call?!?) wants to play on the biggest stage and, at least based on records over the last 4-5 years, UNC appears the school most likely to give him that opportunity. Bottom line, I agree with those who say that this recruiting loss does not reflect poorly on Coach K's recruiting effort or any other aspect of the Duke University and that the best way to win off the court is to first win on it.
    Brilliant post, well-thought out, well-written, no trace of kicking us when we're down. I pretty much agree with all the above.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlueNikeShox View Post

How do you figure UNC is a "great academic school"?! Duke is ranked among the top 10 universities in the country; UNC is not even ranked among the top 25. Duke is ranked among the top 15 universities in the world; UNC is not even ranked among the top 100. Duke has led the ACC in most student-athletes on the ACC Honor Roll for 21 of the past 22 years, including a streak of 20 straight years. Duke led the ACC in most basketball players on the ACC Honor Roll (7), while UNC only placed 4. UNC accepts community college and "online class" credits; Duke does not.

It's VERY insulting for people to put UNC's "academics" in the same breath as Duke's. I guess Barnes wasn't as serious about getting a "great education" as he claimed...
    Duke has no business school for undergrads.

UNC is ranked 13 in the country for undergrad business by businessweek.

UNC is currently 28 in the country for the entire university according to newsweek.

It's not a bad school. It's an evil school, but not a bad school.

Quote Originally Posted by eightyearoldsdude View Post
    Heel fan here and not sure if it's safe to come out yet, but I really don't think UNC is going to beat MSU. Right now, the frosh mostly look like frosh, and even some of the sophomores look like frosh. MSU, on the other hand is a final four favorite and will be looking for revenge.
    I was the addressee of the argument above.

I won't make a prediction on the outcome, but I would guess that MSU will have a far better showing than either game last year, not in small part due to the changes you noted above. MSU is, however, working in a 3 headed freshman monster at the 5 spot, so Davis will likely do pretty much whatever he wants.

dukemsu

Not sure if this has been discussed

I have a hard time with Barnes turning us down due to the relationship with K. I think that final say in things may have been the lack of a business program. I think that was a huge goal for Harrison.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Well, if you already listed it than you must be right. Especially because I'm sure K showed you his "list" and these guys were of course the top name. K never showed me his list so I'm at a disadvantage.

But let's break it down, shall we? This year, what was more important, a PG or a SF? Clearly a PG, so at worst Kyrie was a co-top target. Last year, didn't we need a big man as much as a combo guard? So, I'm saying Mason was at least a co-top target with Boynton. In 2008, I'll grant you Monroe was probably our top target. And in 2006, Brandan Wright (who you neglected to mention) may have been considered a bigger target than G (Wright was #3 RSCI and G was #10), although who can say for sure (other than you, of course). In 2007, Kyle was RSCI #5 and Patterson was #9 (and we got in a little late with him) so I think there's no way Patterson was our top target.

Having said all that, I think this argument is stupid. There is no list and there's rarely just one "top" guy. The staff identifies several players who are good enough students and fill big needs and they go after them.

But thanks for letting me know my guess was wrong.
    Wait, I get it -- you've posted many times on DBR therefore you know what you're talking about when it comes to Duke basketball. I would say that your line that "Mason was at least a co-top target with Boynton" makes clear that you are clueless. Totally, utterly, completely. And while Kyrie is a huge get for us he was not even identified as our top PG target until Brandon Knight moved on. Barnes had been our top target for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
    Wait, I get it -- you've posted many times on DBR therefore you know what you're talking about when it comes to Duke basketball. I would say that your line that "Mason was at least a co-top target with Boynton" makes clear that you are clueless. Totally, utterly, completely. And while Kyrie is a huge get for us he was not even identified as our top PG target until Brandon Knight moved on. Barnes had been our top target for a while now.
    yes, sir. said the same thing a little while back

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlueNikeShox View Post
    [/B]

How do you figure UNC is a "great academic school"?! Duke is ranked among the top 10 universities in the country; UNC is not even ranked among the top 25. Duke is ranked among the top 15 universities in the world; UNC is not even ranked among the top 100. Duke has led the ACC in most student-athletes on the ACC Honor Roll for 21 of the past 22 years, including a streak of 20 straight years. Duke led the ACC in most basketball players on the ACC Honor Roll (7), while UNC only placed 4. UNC accepts community college and "online class" credits; Duke does not.

It's VERY insulting for people to put UNC's "academics" in the same breath as Duke's. I guess Barnes wasn't as serious about getting a "great education" as he claimed...
    Next time a Duke fan is wondering why all the Duke hate, I would refer you back to this post. I do not pretend that UNC is a better university than Duke in terms of academics; most honest UNC fans would acknowledge that fact. But can one honestly say that it is insulting to put UNC's academics in the same breath as Duke's by saying, for instance, that a college basketball player has the opportunity to get a first-rate education at either UNC or Duke. Asserting that Barnes choice of UNC is evidence of his indifference to education is as insulting as it is wrong.

I thought the press conference was over the top, but some of these comments are beginning to sound like sour grapes. We would have been raving about how innovative and cerebral this young man was had the choice been Duke.

And UNC has a very highly rated undergraduate business program, and Barnes said all along that he wanted to study business.

What I've always liked about this board was that we usually have a minimum of these kinds of comments, as opposed to TDD which is essentially just a Devil's version of IC with fewer posters.

Barnes was a significant loss, but more so in terms of our bantering with our rivals than anything else. Who knows how it will play out on the court, with early entries and so on.

He would have made a great addition to our program, now he's going to most likely be a great addition to theirs. I'm now just waiting to see who is the next Devil, and I'm sure they will be a great addition in their own right.

Next time a Duke fan is wondering why all the Duke hate, I would refer you back to this post. I do not pretend that UNC is a better university than Duke in terms of academics; most honest UNC fans would acknowledge that fact. But can one honestly say that it is insulting to put UNC's academics in the same breath as Duke's by saying, for instance, that a college basketball player has the opportunity to get a first-rate education at either UNC or Duke. Asserting that Barnes choice of UNC is evidence of his indifference to education is as insulting as it is wrong.
    agreed. and i'm a duke fan btw

agreed, ChiHeel

Insulting UNC as an academic institution is both wrong and rude. As a Duke grad student I've been able to take many excellent classes at UNC taught by world class professors, and have appreciated the camaraderie between the faculties and students. I apologize on behalf of those who show their ignorance with comments like the one you responded to.

Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
    I thought the press conference was over the top, but some of these comments are beginning to sound like sour grapes. We would have been raving about how innovative and cerebral this young man was had the choice been Duke.

And UNC has a very highly rated undergraduate business program, and Barnes said all along that he wanted to study business.

What I've always liked about this board was that we usually have a minimum of these kinds of comments, as opposed to TDD which is essentially just a Devil's version of IC with fewer posters.

Barnes was a significant loss, but more so in terms of our bantering with our rivals than anything else. Who knows how it will play out on the court, with early entries and so on.

He would have made a great addition to our program, now he's going to most likely be a great addition to theirs. I'm now just waiting to see who is the next Devil, and I'm sure they will be a great addition in their own right.
    no question about it. sour grapes indeed

Oh lord, how many pages are we going to carry on for about this guy?
    Snap out of it! We've got a team to cheer for that needs us NOW. Nobody knows what may come down the pike next, for either school. Geez, give the holes something ELSE to pontificate about why don't we?
    Just go to hell carolina, get outta here!

13. Close thread

This thread should be closed. Barnes went to UNC, its old news now.