Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Barnes to UNC

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    A little? That was a complete slug to the stomach and it still hurts. Unbelievable. I am all for civility, but man... Coach K simply doesn't have it when you compare him to Roy. It's the nasty, ugly truth. What can you do as a fan? Nothin...
    Roy+Jordan.

I wouldn't underestimate that factor.

dukemsu

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I am definitely more disappointed than I should be over a 17 year old's decision, but that hurt. I can't say that he made a bad decision, just not one that I would have preferred.
    These are my sentiments, exactly. Oh how badly I wanted to see Harrison as a Blue Devil. I hope that fans welcome plan B (whether that's Rocsoe or someone else) with the same enthusiasm that we would have Harrison.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Seriously, the question now is why.

I'm not going to make the biggest deal on this. It's a huge loss, doubly so because he goes to the Holes.

But when you have the lead on recruiting him, to have it slip hurts bad. We'll still be great next year.

But this doesn't mean we shouldn't re-evaluate how we're going at recruits...I mean so, if we lost him because of the business major (which would be unbelievable to me...a Tarheel business education CANNOT be as good as ANY Duke Education for preparing you for your post bball career. Ba-lon-ey), well then we move on. Can't change the curriculum for recruits.

If we lost because of how K talked to him, or what we did on OVs...well that's more of a problem. Carolina went all out for him. Did we go as far as we could have?

One last thought: We thought having the last OV was a big difference. And it might've helped us, who knows. But because he took his OV so late, he couldn't play pick-up games with our players like he did with other teams...including Carolina. That could have been big, as he was able to see where he might fit in with Carolina, and was able to see how he'd fit in with the guys.

It's hard to duplicate that simply by watching practices.

I believe our image is a bigger problem than the mechanics of what we are doing on a visit or how Coach talks to someone. There are multiple reasons/explanations for it, but our image has taken a hit in recent years and we are paying a price (to a degree) in recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by DBFAN View Post
    Let's just face it, we can not compete in recruiting with UNC, I don't know what the reason is, but we will be playing second fiddle to them for a long time. I just do not see how anyone could have anything positive to say about this situation, the reality is UNC will more than likely, win it all next year. We just don't have the core to do that.
    Bullocks.

We missed one recruit. A big one, but that is distracting people. The decision is complex - its not just UNC vs Duke. It's how much playing time can I get, who do I play behind, who do I play with, what are the academic options, etc. There are so many factors that come into play,we only know few, and those few are filtered through a lens of team preferences. The main issue with Barnes' recruitment is all the obsession of players on all sides being posted on the internet and bounced around in little echo caves.

This is not the end of the world. Unfortunate, yes. Irritating, yes. But the staff has already moved on and we should move on as well.

Season starts tonight, BTW.

5. When he got up from the chair, Barnes looked at the DUKE logo. I just he was going to say DUKE.

Wrong color choice there Barnes, wrong color choice. We'll see you on the court come next season.

6. Hope the book is selling well . . .

UNC has moved ahead

I have a friend and kind of an in-law who is a former Div I assistant. He told me that UNC under Roy Williams has moved ahead of Duke in recruiting and winning.

Clearly he is right.

I had hoped that a class with Barnes, Irving, Curry transfer etc. would prove him wrong but it is not to be.

SoCal
    Last edited by SoCalDukeFan; 11-13-2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: type

Years from now, this will be remembered as a legendary Duke-UNC recruiting battle that was unfortunately lost by our side. This is about as painful as a recruiting miss can be. The only potential silver lining is that Barnes will hopefully be one-and-done, and we land Roscoe Smith who goes on to have 4 outstanding years. Wishful thinking at this point.

lets not forget that K was on a recruiting tear like this once and it can't last forever.

Game tonight... get amped

Quote Originally Posted by Pernell View Post
    Geez... we can't compete in recruiting with UNC. Relax man.

I agree we have been getting smashed as of late on the recruiting front.
    We definitely have.

But I'm hoping with Kyrie and our other recurits/the rest of our team we can
    get back to longer runs in the NCAAs and hopefully this will help on this end. Our early exits I'm sure hasn't helped at all.

It's not over.

It can't be over...
    Well its not only that... its just Roy in most every head to head match up he's had with Coach K (whether on or off the court) has destroyed him.

I'm not sure how much the "its so much harder to recruit to Duke" argument is going to hold up if this keeps up... This and the fact we the most exciting player we've got in a while (E Will) just stinks.

Awaiting all the avatars with Barnes in a Duke t-shirt.

Watching that press conference unfold, only to hear him say, "Coach Roy Williams?" WAS literally like getting a nasty stomach punch....uhhhhhh...I have never watched one of those before with so much on the line...man it stung...and it was either us or Heel fans that were gonna feel that way...no one else watching thought they had a chance...left at the altar...PAINFUL...HB, if you were going for dramatic effect, you got what you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukefan03 View Post
    I believe our image is a bigger problem than the mechanics of what we are doing on a visit or how Coach talks to someone. There are multiple reasons/explanations for it, but our image has taken a hit in recent years and we are paying a price (to a degree) in recruiting.
    Could be, but that's an awfully self-perpetuating downward spiral you're talking about....and i'd rather not think about that.

I mean, could one recruiting class (my Freshman year's, the one for 05-06) really completely derail a school's recruiting? I'd like not to believe that.

(Of course the whole thing is moot if we make the Final four the next 2 years. Which we will of course. )
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Bummer. We'll just have to beat him 8+ times.

Quote Originally Posted by dukemsu View Post
    Roy+Jordan.

I wouldn't underestimate that factor.

dukemsu
    Main reason IMO.

Jordan's impact at the university is stronger than it was 10 years ago, hes transformed from famous UNC alumnus into powerful UNC booster.

The fact he had his Jordan brand UNC's jerseys being worn by the Tar Heels the other night shows how much power he has.

spoiled

Duke fans are spoiled I know this one hurts but a buddy of mine is a big Iowa State fan and this is a killer. Harrison Barnes Mom works there, his dad played there, he has been working out with the varsity players for since eighth grade on a regular basis he has been going to games there since he was in grade school.

It really drives home the point that they are second class program now. I think he would have gone to A LOT of schools in similar situations. I mean if he was from Winston Salem he would have gone to Wake, College Park...Maryland, Champaign Urbana, Univ of Illl etc. etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    Bullocks.

We missed one recruit. A big one, but that is distracting people. The decision is complex - its not just UNC vs Duke. It's how much playing time can I get, who do I play behind, who do I play with, what are the academic options, etc. There are so many factors that come into play,we only know few, and those few are filtered through a lens of team preferences. The main issue with Barnes' recruitment is all the obsession of players on all sides being posted on the internet and bounced around in little echo caves.

This is not the end of the world. Unfortunate, yes. Irritating, yes. But the staff has already moved on and we should move on as well.

Season starts tonight, BTW.
    Seriously, if academics are why he chose UNC i'll eat my foot. Once again, no matter how "good" UNC's academics are, their academics are NOT Duke Caliber. No way. No how.

Stanford over Duke, sure. UNC over Duke no. The presence of a "business program" does not change that.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    Bummer. We'll just have to beat him 8+ times.

I'm hoping for 2-3, frankly.

It was probably a coin flip for him in terms of what he would get personally from UNC vs. Duke. I’m sure his family affinity (ie, mom) for UNC was the deciding factor.

As Coach K says...

"I'm always big on what you have, not what you don't have."

So next year we will have a backcourt of Smith, Curry, Dawkins, Irving, and Dawkins.

In the frontcout, Plumlee, Plumlee, Kelly, Olek, and Hairston.

We'll be fine, but it hurts to have ol' Roy just swoop in...