Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Barnes to UNC

1. Quote Originally Posted by monkey View Post
    Agreed. The question is really why? Can definitely see why Roy picks up his share of the top recruits. Not sure why he looks like he is winning _all_ of the battles...
    Definitely not a conversation to have today, with passions running so high and probably not a conversation allowed (honestly) under the posting rules in any event. Trend since '04 seems pretty clear though.

I love K, always will. But Roy is head and shoulders above him in recruiting. An earlier post said our image has taken a hit in recent years and i agree. We are known as a team who cant get past the sweet 16. UNC is known as a team who is contending for a title each and every year, i hate to admit it. But the Tar Heels are way ahead of us in so many areas right now

Barnes is a really great kid and I'll be rooting for him, even over there. We need more student athletes like him, so we better appreciate it when one comes along - regardless of his choice of schools.

s.i.

For some reason, K is losing recruiting battles (this one is a big one) to Roy and this has been going on since he came back to Carolina; right now, I'm disappointed but I can only imagine what K is thinking. Our staff worked hard to get him here and to lose out like this is tough.

I do think, however, that he's going to play one year and go pro.

I do wish him luck at UNC, but right now I'm in a bad mood about this whole thing.

dth.

We've had a couple of "top" recruits who did not end up playing at that level. Now, most "top" recruits do not stay more than two years. This is not the end of the world as we know it.

We have an elite PG coming to Duke and I'm very happy about that!

Against the grain

Am I the only one that is not disappointed that the author of the narcissistic fiasco is NOT coming to Duke?

I see all of the posts "Great kid" and what-now...and I admit to not following the recruiting at all this year.

I did not like what I saw...and aside from missing the talent I am not unhappy about this...

Quote Originally Posted by monkey View Post
    Agreed. The question is really why? Can definitely see why Roy picks up his share of the top recruits. Not sure why he looks like he is winning _all_ of the battles...
    True or not, Duke is getting a rep as a grade-grubbing, nerd city. Students looking for a more all-round college experience are looking elsewhere, while the academic overachievers looking for academic college rankings and a sparkling grad school application appear to be flocking to Duke.

This is the perspective of a parent of a high school senior going through the college selection process, who could not even get Duke on the list. Shoot, I had family members with very close ties to Duke advising against even applying to Duke.

We all feel bad, really, really bad .... but image how Coach K feels. He's been recruiting HB for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by bird View Post
    .... while the academic overachievers looking for academic college rankings and a sparkling grad school application appear to be flocking to Duke.
    Good point! These are not overly important to a guy who will probably be playing in the NBA after two or less years of college.

In my world, they're strong reasons to go to Duke.

Right now it feels like we're the Red Sox and they're the Yankees. We're taking a beating again, and again, and again...

I'm just waiting for our 2004 ALCS moment. Please let it be soon.

Quote Originally Posted by DBFAN View Post
    Let's just face it, we can not compete in recruiting with UNC, I don't know what the reason is, but we will be playing second fiddle to them for a long time. I just do not see how anyone could have anything positive to say about this situation, the reality is UNC will more than likely, win it all next year. We just don't have the core to do that.
    In my opinion, every one of these statements is ridiculous.

I won't even talk about how you know what's going to happen for a "long time," but not only can Duke compete with UNC recruiting-wise, I like what we did better this year. You have to remember Andre Dawkins was part of this recruiting class -- he was just able to graduate high school a year early -- and we also got Seth Curry. So: Barnes + Bullock + Marshall vs. Irving + Dawkins + Curry + Hairston + Thornton. I like ours better.

Second, UNC will have a lot of talent next year, but they still won't have the lightning quick PG that Roy would prefer. Neither Drew nor Marshall will ever be that guy. Ed Davis will likely be gone after this season. They'll probably be top 5, but they'll be relying on an awful lot of freshmen and sophomores.

Even if UNC is the #1 team in the country next year (which I'm not convinced they will be) to say they are more than likely to win the title is just plain silly. Will their team be anywhere close to as good as the 2002 Duke team was? Or the 2006 Duke team? Or even the 2008 UNC team?

Finally, to say we don't have the core to compete for a championship makes no sense to me. We should have between 4 and 8 NBA players on our roster, including one of the top PGs in the country and plenty of size. What's wrong with that core?

There's a difference between disappointment and out-and-out negativism.

Quote Originally Posted by bird View Post
    This is the perspective of a parent of a high school senior going through the college selection process, who could not even get Duke on the list. Shoot, I had family members with very close ties to Duke advising against even applying to Duke.
    Uh, well Duke's ED apps were up 33% this year so I think we're doing okay having high school seniors apply to Duke. But recruiting athletes is a completely different animal...

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    A lot of the other recruits are going to be doing a lot of sitting next year.
    Isn't McAdoo 2011?

Quote Originally Posted by Onlyduke View Post
    We all feel bad, really, really bad .... but image how Coach K feels. He's been recruiting HB for a long time.
    Amen...sorry, Coach, you did a great job...no second guessing on tactics.

My .02...
    Somewhere along the line, I think HB's perspective changed from college basketball player/college student to basketball player/soon-to-be NBA player. Maybe when he saw projections of being a #1 draft choice, or top five draft choice in 2011 or 2012.

So he opted for the "fast-food" college experience of UNC, rather than a "sit-down" meal at Duke.

Oh, well. HB may be a great college player or he may be a one-and-done who has little real impact on the college game. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Uh, well Duke's ED apps were up 33% this year so I think we're doing okay having high school seniors apply to Duke. But recruiting athletes is a completely different animal...
    Yeah, we'll never get exceptional athletes like Kyrie Irving, Curtis Beach, or Mallory Cecil...

In all this, I forgot for a moment that we have Seth Curry next year.

That helps cheer me up quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Yeah, we'll never get exceptional athletes like Kyrie Irving, Curtis Beach, or Mallory Cecil...
    ha, I wasn't saying that we don't get amazing athletes. I was just responding bird's comment that Duke doesn't get well-rounded "normal" students to apply and instead only get brainiacs obsessed with academics. That's clearly untrue. Then I meant to contrast the recruitment of athletes with the recruiting "normal" students; not by success rate, but by strategy. I'd say we've been incredibly successful at both, but the strategies involved differ. That's all.

I guess it was all smoke and BS when he claimed that academics were important to him. It obviously wasn't that important because rather than choosing a university that's ranked among the top 10 universities in the country and top 15 universities in the world, he chose a school that's not ranked among the top 25 in the country nor the top 100 in the world...

K has been changing his recruiting strategy a fair amount recently. I believe the next change he makes will be to get rid of his policy of encouraging recruits to go all the way through the recruiting process.

Yankees, New World Order etc

Someone mentioned the top of the heap are Kentucky, Carolina and Kansas very classic names. Does anyone here other than me feel bad for ISU. In the old days a really hot recruit would come and you could remake a program. Think of Johnny Dawkins at Duke. Now it is just impossible.

Harrison Barnes is great but he probably a one or two year deal. College basketball is turning into MLB. A few programs end with a lot of the blue chippers. And the kids who used to turn programs around end up after their freshman or sophomore year in the NBA.

Maybe its because I am a Pitt fan only but boy is there a lot of crying here because we are not Carolina.