Where to stay in N.C.

Going to N.C. for the first time for a Duke game the weekend of Dec. 4th. Was wondering where I should stay. in Durham or Downtown Raleigh? looking for a better restaurant and bar seen.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FUZZ332 View Post
    Going to N.C. for the first time for a Duke game the weekend of Dec. 4th. Was wondering where I should stay. in Durham or Downtown Raleigh? looking for a better restaurant and bar seen.
    Thanks
    Well, the first question is what is your budget? Second, what are you looking to see in the bar? Third, will you have a car? Fourth, what do you want to eat?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Thanks
    Durham's restaurant/bar choices at Brightleaf Square and the American Tobacco complex are better than they've ever been. And if you stay in Durham, you'll be within minutes of the stadium.

That being said, downtown Raleigh has a larger scene with more choices and more people. But you'll be a good 30 minutes from Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    Durham's restaurant/bar choices at Brightleaf Square and the American Tobacco complex are better than they've ever been. And if you stay in Durham, you'll be within minutes of the stadium.

That being said, downtown Raleigh has a larger scene with more choices and more people. But you'll be a good 30 minutes from Duke.
    And, you'll be in Raleigh. Yuck!

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    But you'll be a good 30 minutes from Duke.
    True, and for a first timer to the area, count on 45 minutes. And at night, that's a dreary drive.

I'm sure I can find a decent deal on a hotel in both areas so budget is not an issue. Looking for late 20's-30's age bar scene. I will have a car.
    Thanks

I'm sure I can find a decent deal on a hotel in both areas so budget is not an issue. Looking for late 20's-30's age bar scene. I will have a car.
    Thanks
    I'm 55 - can't help you on the bar scene, but don't miss the Angus Barn for dinner one night. It is near the RDU airport on US 70 http://www.angusbarn.com/index.htm
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    And, you'll be in Raleigh. Yuck!
    Them's fightin' words, Derm boy...

Thanks
    Tyler's Taproom and their Speakeasy Lounge perhaps? Tyler's has good food, great brews but, WRT the Speakeasy, I'm just guessing. Kinda like the National Hockey League: I know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Them's fightin' words, Derm boy...

I can't believe that it took 17 hours for a Raleighite to respond!

I can't believe that it took 17 hours for a Raleighite to respond!
    Hadn't looked at the thread until today ( :-* [that's just crazietalk for blowing a big kiss allenmurray's way]).

Tyler's Taproom and their Speakeasy Lounge perhaps? Tyler's has good food, great brews but, WRT the Speakeasy, I'm just guessing. Kinda like the National Hockey League: I know nothing.
    Ugh. Really? All that Durham has to offer and you pick Tyler's and the Speakeasy?

Stay at the Hilton on Hillsborough Rd or The Marriot downtown. Eat drink and be merry at The Federal, James Joyce, Devine's, Allivea's, Satisfactions, Piedmont, Rue Cler, Revolution, Dos Perros, on and on and on.

Main St. and Brightleaf Square will offer all the food and beverage options you can think of. Most of it with a local flair!

Nana's in Durham, too. First class!

Thanks for all the info.
    I have a room booked at the Marriott.
    I'm in my Mid 30's so I just dont want to be stuck in bars with all College students.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    Ugh. Really? All that Durham has to offer and you pick Tyler's and the Speakeasy?

Stay at the Hilton on Hillsborough Rd or The Marriot downtown. Eat drink and be merry at The Federal, James Joyce, Devine's, Allivea's, Satisfactions, Piedmont, Rue Cler, Revolution, Dos Perros, on and on and on.

Main St. and Brightleaf Square will offer all the food and beverage options you can think of. Most of it with a local flair!
    1. I know nothing about #1,2,4,6,8 and 9.
    2. Ya wanna get snarky? You can't be serious about Devine's and Sati's by including them in "all that Durham has to offer." Good for sports bars with somewhat limited beer selections when Ozzie and I ate there last year.
    3. I admitted "I know nothing" about the Speakeasy. Sounded/looked like a reasonable adjunct to Tyler's.
    4. Rue Cler is very nice but didn't think that would qualify for "restaurant and bar scene" (spelled correctly) as the OP inquired.
    5. We've dined at several really nice places in Durham over the last few years but it didn't sound like s/he was asking about places like Magnolia Grill, Four Square, Watts Street Grocery, Nana's (still open or am I confused with the one in Raleigh that changed to The Pit?), Pop's (still open?) and probably 1-2 more that I can't remember.

Correct that Devine's and Satisfaction are both over rated. Satisfaction started going down hill a few years ago and Devines was never more than a bar with a TV.

The Federal is simply the best bar in the United States of America (full disclosure - I haven't been to all the bars in the USA, but The Federal is the best of the many to which I have been). The beer selection is ourstanding, the waitresses (oops, mrsallenmurray might be reading) are very competent and the food is better than you will get in any bar. Think five star restaurant at bar food prices served in your neighborhood pub. First, the best burger ever (it makes that monstrosity that jasonevans posted run home and cry to its burger mama). Also things like fried quail, seared ahi tuna over mango-kiwi polenta, carnitas to die for, etc. The Federal is simply one of the best places in the universe. Should DevilDeac find himself in the vicininty of The Federal on a Wednesday night I can usually be found there, and I will buy his beer.

James Joyce - I don't like Irish food or Irish beer or Irish music and I still love the James Joyce. It is to Tir Na Nog what Angus Barn is to McDonalds.

Allivea's? - meh.

Peidmont, Rue Cler, Revolution - all great, but hardly 20s - 30s bar scene (I am so gald to be past that - there are real advantages to reaching 49).

Nana's is still open and still run by the original chef/owner. He was also the founder of Pop's (still open, but he no longer owns it) and the Que Shack (which he still owns the original on University Drive in Durham, but not the others in Carrboro and Raleigh.

The reality is that I kid about Raleigh, I like it okay (my mom lives there) but it is a generic city. When it comes to high quality and interesting restaurants Durham has been the hands-down winner in the Triangle for the last few years. Do we have a bunch of great bars? We don't need a bunch - we've got The Federal. (And the up and coming Whisky on main street - nest to Toast - a great lunch place). Whisky sells no food, but they do have an agreement with Toast so you can get food from Toast to eat at Whisky. What is is with the minimilast naming convention?

Correct that Devine's and Satisfaction are both over rated. Satisfaction started going down hill a few years ago and Devines was never more than a bar with a TV.

The Federal is simply the best bar in the United States of America (full disclosure - I haven't been to all the bars in the USA, but The Federal is the best of the many to which I have been). The beer selection is ourstanding, the waitresses (oops, mrsallenmurray might be reading) are very competent and the food is better than you will get in any bar. Think five star restaurant at bar food prices served in your neighborhood pub. First, the best burger ever (it makes that monstrosity that jasonevans posted run home and cry to its burger mama). Also things like fried quail, seared ahi tuna over mango-kiwi polenta, carnitas to die for, etc. The Federal is simply one of the best places in the universe. Should DevilDeac find himself in the vicininty of The Federal on a Wednesday night I can usually be found there, and I will buy his beer.

James Joyce - I don't like Irish food or Irish beer or Irish music and I still love the James Joyce. It is to Tir Na Nog what Angus Barn is to McDonalds.

Allivea's? - meh.

Peidmont, Rue Cler, Revolution - all great, but hardly 20s - 30s bar scene (I am so gald to be past that - there are real advantages to reaching 49).

Nana's is still open and still run by the original chef/owner. He was also the founder of Pop's (still open, but he no longer owns it) and the Que Shack (which he still owns the original on University Drive in Durham, but not the others in Carrboro and Raleigh.

The reality is that I kid about Raleigh, I like it okay (my mom lives there) but it is a generic city. When it comes to high quality and interesting restaurants Durham has been the hands-down winner in the Triangle for the last few years. Do we have a bunch of great bars? We don't need a bunch - we've got The Federal. (And the up and coming Whisky on main street - nest to Toast - a great lunch place). Whisky sells no food, but they do have an agreement with Toast so you can get food from Toast to eat at Whisky. What is is with the minimilast naming convention?
    Great stuff. Thanks.

I know nothing about your bar habits but I'll take you at your word. I'll also be looking at my schedule on Wednesdays in the near future and I will gladly quaff that ale with you.

Glad to hear about Nana's and Pop's. Our best friends know the owner/founder but we haven't dined with them in Derm for a couple years. They also live in that humdrum capital city along with the devildeacs. We've got some really nice restaurants in Raleigh but the ones we have discussed in Durham so far are certainly among the finest in the area.

Is Revolution the new Cuban joint in the renovated warehouse area? If so, I'd not rate it great but certainly very authentic with a varied selection of well-prepared casual and entree level dishes. I'd certainly return prior to a MBB game or an event at the DPAC to try several more items from their fairly extensive menu.

Great stuff. Thanks.

I know nothing about your bar habits but I'll take you at your word. I'll also be looking at my schedule on Wednesdays in the near future and I will gladly quaff that ale with you.

Glad to hear about Nana's and Pop's. Our best friends know the owner/founder but we haven't dined with them in Derm for a couple years. They also live in that humdrum capital city along with the devildeacs. We've got some really nice restaurants in Raleigh but the ones we have discussed in Durham so far are certainly among the finest in the area.

Is Revolution the new Cuban joint in the renovated warehouse area? If so, I'd not rate it great but certainly very authentic with a varied selection of well-prepared casual and entree level dishes. I'd certainly return prior to a MBB game or an event at the DPAC to try several more items from their fairly extensive menu.

No, Cuban Revolution in the American Tobacco Complex http://www.thecubanrevolution.com/ and Revolution on Main Street http://www.revolutionrestaurant.com/...ion_Enter.html are two different places. Revolution is a bit more upscale. I haven't been yet - it has been very well reviewed.

I helped to organize a charity auction in Durham about a year and a half ago - Revolution on Main Street was the ONLY restaurant in Durham we approached who did not donate. They said they were "too new" and "not established enough". The day after they gave me that answer they were featured in the N&O and the review/story said that theirs was the hardest table to get in the triangle - reservations weeks out, long, long waits even for a seat at the bar. I've not gotten over my frustration with them. (I know I am being petty, but if it is their right to choose not to involve themselves in the community it is my right to hold a grudge.)
    Last edited by allenmurray; 11-10-2009 at 06:28 AM.