View Poll Results: Who would you start in the Carolina game? (Pick 5, obviously)

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Henderson, Gerald

90 65.69%
  • McClure, Dave

77 56.20%
  • McRoberts, Josh

129 94.16%
  • Nelson, DeMarcus

94 68.61%
  • Paulus, Greg

131 95.62%
  • Pocius, Martynas

2 1.46%
  • Scheyer, Jon

102 74.45%
  • Thomas, Lance

26 18.98%
  • Zoubek, Brian

32 23.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph-Wiggum View Post
    I would start Zoubek, Thomas, Pocius, McClure, and Henderson. But then again, I'm a Carolina fan.

Seriously, though, I think your best 5 are Scheyer, Paulus, McRoberts, Nelson, and Henderson.
    You know, that's not bad. I wouldn't mind going small and trying to force turnovers with quickness. I think Nelson might be able to muscle Wright a bit if given the chance.

AllenMurray- thanks

You too can use sarcasm! Well done. I'm glad Jumbo and I are not the only ones. But he & I have truly reconciled. He has obviously decided to be nice to people. If it lasts is up to him, but I really think he will follow through. I admit I am impressed with his new attitude.

And as far as my "image" on this board-- it really means absolutely NOTHING to me. ZERO, ZILCH, NADA. Man this is my "comic relief" so to speak. My exercise when I can't ride bikes or surf. And also, I can buy no groceries or pay no taxes from income derived here, though it would be nice!

But my images, in magazines worldwide, is a completely different story. Thanks for reminding me of that!

Greg Paulus - Leadership, court vision
    Jon Scheyer - Shooting ability
    Gerald Henderon - Attacks the rim
    DeMarcus Nelson - Defense/Rebounding
    Josh McRoberts - Post presence/Defense

Run the Heels out of the Dome.

Ok, so back to your original post. Here's what I don't understand:
    You want to start Zoubek, McRoberts, Thomas, McClure and Henderson. That's certainly a huge lineup, but, well, I'm not quite sure how it works. You've only got one player (Henderson) who can hit a jump shot. You've got two players (Henderson and McRoberts) who can handle the ball. You've got two guys who can guard a perimeter player (McClure, Henderson). So, what advantage (other than extreme size) do you see such a lineup giving us?

On to your other points.

-You asked why we should start Paulus if he isn't creating shots for others; I'd reply that he's knocking down some huge jumpers. Do you think outside shooting is important?

-I'm surprised to see you put Scheyer on the bench, too. I might be wrong, but I thought you were a big fan of his play (I could've sworn you were the Chicago guy who was praising him even well before he put on a Duke uniform). How come you've got him out of your lineup?

-I can't agree with you on the "motion IQ." Especially given how young this team is, I think they've dramatically improved their motion IQ. Scheyer and Paulus move with, and without, the ball very well. Henderson has improved dramatically. Nelson is still lacking in this area, but the other guys all seem to be grasping the offense now too. I don't think team play is Duke's problem -- the lack of a go-to scorer and/or creator is. What examples have you seen of this lack of "motion IQ?"

-Re: "command and control," I've got to disagree again. In the past, I've been critical of the way K has seemed to control the offense, especially during the J.J. years. Far too often, Duke just stood around while J.J. ran off screens. If that didn't work, Duke dumped the ball into Shelden on the block. This year, I think we've seen the most movement and purest motion in many years. And K has adjusted on the fly; he's no longer running the offense through McRoberts on the left elbow or left block, and he's put in the weave to get guys moving and the offense flowing. There's a lot less standing around this year; it's stark if you look at some older game tapes.

-I have a hard time believing that Zoubek, Thomas and McClure are more "talented" than Scheyer, Nelson and Paulus. What do you mean by "talented?"

-I agree that the team often looks like it's not having fun. But fun is often the byproduct of just playing well. Duke was having a ton of fun in the first half against St. John's, and there were no shackles there -- Coach K had them pushing the ball, they were forcing turnovers and getting layups/dunks on the break. I just think better teams force Duke to grind it out.

-Why are you not enjoying watching this team?

-I don't believe anyone is infallible either, including HOF coaches.

-In what ways is this team playing below its potential? What were your expectations? How has the team failed to reach those expectations? What players, in particular, are playing below their potential? And why do you think that's the case?

-I'm of the firm belief that player development (in terms of skills, strength, etc.) occurs during the offseason. That's not to say guys can't improve over the course of the season. But McClure's not going to learn new form on his jumper during the year. McRoberts is going to have a hard time working on new post moves. Zoubek's legs won't get any stronger. Why? Limited practice time. These guys only have so many hours to work together, and there's a ton of strategy that has to be covered in that time, in addition to fundamental work. Again, you'll see that most individual growth occurs between seasons. With that having been said, I don't think you're fair about player development. We've seen several changes within the season. Notably, Paulus has changed his game to the point where he is now a serious scoring threat and is much less turnover prone. Henderson's understanding of the game, court vision and ability to set up his moves have grown tremendously. And Zoubek was a severe defensive liability for much of the season; in recent games, his defense has been noticably better. Those are just three examples, but I'm also curious how you are able to determine who the "select few" are who are "self-motivated" and how you're able to know that the staff hasn't played any role in their development.

Anyway, you've got some pretty strong opinions here, and I'd love for you to expound on them. If you've got some particular insight into what's been going on with the team, now's the time to share. Either way, it would be great if you could address some of the more interesting issues you raised.

[quote=imagepro;1886]You too can use sarcasm! Well done. I'm glad Jumbo and I are not the only ones. But he & I have truly reconciled. He has obviously decided to be nice to people. If it lasts is up to him, but I really think he will follow through. I admit I am impressed with his new attitude.[quote]

Well, I'm not sure if we're ever going to see eye-to-eye on the definition of "nice." And I still believe that if people are going to post critical things about anyone on the internet, they should be prepared to accept any criticism that comes in response. That said, my goal is certainly to be more patient, and to try a more delicate approach rather than lashing out right away.

I would love to hear someone explain to me why Josh shouldn't start and play at least 37 minutes. His D has been 1st team All ACC, at least. He handles the ball and relieves pressure from the ballhandlers better than any big in the country. He is the best passing big in the country. He is an outstanding rebounder. He sees the floor and has a very high bball IQ. Until his recent offensive slump, he had a stretch of scoring double figures in 15 of 16 at one point. He brings fire and attitude that, while some criticize it for being too emotional, fires up his team and shows he cares. As for the comment on him in the Maryland game, go back and watch it. No one on either team had more deflections, tips, dives for loose balls, etc.. LOSE A COUPLE OF GAMES, AND THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A SCAPEGOAT. Yeah, he shouldn't start.

Well, I don't think the starting lineup matters as much as the rotations in this game (I'll explain below), but here goes:

Paulus - we have to have a point guard. Moreover, UNC is a pretty good matchup for him, because UNC's defense doesn't pressure the ball very well.

Scheyer - he's good defensively, and can be good offensively. He rarely makes mistakes, and when the shot is falling, he's a huge asset.

Nelson - he's our best defender, and he's capable of defending a variety of players. On top of that, he has a knack for getting out to fast starts in games.

Thomas - he's a great energy guy, and he can challenge Wright. I'm not dead-set on him over McClure, but I'd rather save McClure from early foul trouble.

McRoberts - he's the closest thing to a consistent offensive post presence we have.

Henderson and McClure will of course get plenty of minutes in my scenario (McClure would likely end up with several more minutes than Thomas). Their versatility will be very important when Roy throws in the myriad of players at Duke.

I think it will also be important to use Zoubek and Pocius efficiently. 5-10 well-timed minutes each should help keep the top 7 fresh enough to come on strong late in the game, without compromising the competitiveness in the first 35 minutes. UNC is the one team that can really wear us down with their depth and tempo, so utilizing those guys will be very important.

interestin'

i'm gonna have to agree with Jumbo's evaluation of this team in contrast to fewFAC. fF's lineup has no ball-handler at all, even if you "despise" Paulus as a PG he still has the best handle on the team, for better or worse. And to fF, being able to score points is also part of a PGs role on the team. fF also seems to be very down on Nelson, and i must admit Nelson frustrates me too, but he is a great defender, good rebounder and the best player on the team for finishing on the break and creating break opportunities.
    I too would not start Scheyer against UNC, he has been really cold lately and as Jumbo mentioned, Paulus' outside shooting is so much better now that it would just be repetitive to have both of them out there, when Duke really needs another dimension on offense. That's why i would start Henderson, to have that extra dimension. Plus GH can only go for about 3 minutes at a time, so it'd be good to have him open the game at high octane.

Offensive Production

Upon further reflection, I think you put Zoubek in the starting line up for offense. Here's a quick look at points per game and per minute:

DeMarcus Nelson* 14.2 0.45
    Josh McRoberts* 12.7 0.36
    Jon Scheyer* 12.4 0.37
    Greg Paulus* 10.8 0.34
    Gerald Henderson* 6.5 0.35
    David McClure* 4.6 0.21
    Lance Thomas* 4.2 0.28
    Brian Zoubek* 3.3 0.44
    Marty Pocius* 1.5 0.21

Start DeMarcus, Josh, Jon, Greg, and Brian for points and for size and match ups, putting Brian on Handsblahblah. Henderson has a slight edge on Paulus in PPM, but we need Paulus at point. Henderson is first off the bench, and he and McClure get major minutes. Bring Lance and Marty in early and base their minutes on how they do.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    I would love to hear someone explain to me why Josh shouldn't start and play at least 37 minutes. His D has been 1st team All ACC, at least. He handles the ball and relieves pressure from the ballhandlers better than any big in the country. He is the best passing big in the country. He is an outstanding rebounder. He sees the floor and has a very high bball IQ. Until his recent offensive slump, he had a stretch of scoring double figures in 15 of 16 at one point. He brings fire and attitude that, while some criticize it for being too emotional, fires up his team and shows he cares. As for the comment on him in the Maryland game, go back and watch it. No one on either team had more deflections, tips, dives for loose balls, etc.. LOSE A COUPLE OF GAMES, AND THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A SCAPEGOAT. Yeah, he shouldn't start.
    Sure. His continued lack of composure. The Maryland game was a regression in my opinion. He was spending time complaining about the refs, didn't look like his head was in the game and focused, he was throwing forearms and elbows after getting his shot blocked or a shot not falling. His stats are not in question. His leadership is. A team captain does not act like that. So, I benched him. Who said anything about the loss being Josh's fault? That was never brought up.

Coach K praised his leadership, comparing him to a great "senior leader". You would know better though, right? Are you suggesting a one-game send a message benching, or just because he's not good enough to be a starter? I say Duke would be sub-.500 w/o him.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Coach K praised his leadership, comparing him to a great "senior leader". You would know better though, right? Are you suggesting a one-game send a message benching, or just because he's not good enough to be a starter? I say Duke would be sub-.500 w/o him.
    I don't know if you are being serious with your last question or just being facetious. Of course Josh is good enough to start. That is ridiculous to suggest otherwise. Yes, I am suggesting a one-game benching to let him know that he needs to keep his composure. Where did you get that quote? After the Maryland game? No, I don't know better than Coach K since my view is very limited. Why the sarcasm? Someone asked a poll question and I gave my answer. We're all playing coach when we answer. No need to get chippy. Didn't Josh sit before the first UNC game? Seems that K doesn't know better either, hun?

I would start: McRoberts, Thomas, Nelson, Henderson (T. Hill and McCaffrey part II) and Paulus. Although it is late in the season, the team must reinvent itself like the 2000-2001 team when Boozer got hurt. If coach goes with the current rotation, they will not make it past the round of 32 in the tournament. The team needs to get quicker and more athletic. The defense must create some easy baskets. I would make Jon the sixth man, where is role would be to provide instant offense. Since Jon is not the shooter or scorer like a young JJ, this team is better served with Henderson. Status quo equals three loses in our next five games.

How can you say that Paulus has been unable to create offense? Were it not for his offense, I'm not sure we would have scored against Maryland. He has been a major offensive force in several games, and I think you may be watching Marty and thinking he's Greg.
    DukeDevilDeb

Ditto!

Ps Go To Hell, Carolina!
    DukeDevilDeb

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    How can you say that Paulus has been unable to create offense? Were it not for his offense, I'm not sure we would have scored against Maryland. He has been a major offensive force in several games, and I think you may be watching Marty and thinking he's Greg.
    There are two types of creating offense. You can create offense for yourself, and you can create offense for others. Point guards are supposed to be able to do both, but need to primarily do the latter.

I'm not sure what the other poster was suggesting, but I'd argue that Paulus has not created offense for others very well, and he certainly hasn't done so on a consistent basis. He has hit shots very well at times, and has occasionally shown flashes of his skill at setting up others. But he has struggled at creating offense for others this year.

If Paulus was a shooting guard, he'd be having a fantastic season. But point guards are held to a different standard.

Paulus - Had a rocky start this season, but now he's playing the best ball of his career at Duke. Has developed into a great shooter.

Zoubek - Big man inside. Duke vs. UNC at Cameron this year: need I say more? He completely D'd up Hans blah-blah when he started. Just needs to lift a little more.

Thomas - Great defender, good all-around player.

Henderson - A domination station vs. UNC (excpet that little incident at the end of the game is debatable)

Scheyer - Good shooter and all-around player.