View Poll Results: Who would you start in the Carolina game? (Pick 5, obviously)

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Henderson, Gerald

    90 65.69%
  • McClure, Dave

    77 56.20%
  • McRoberts, Josh

    129 94.16%
  • Nelson, DeMarcus

    94 68.61%
  • Paulus, Greg

    131 95.62%
  • Pocius, Martynas

    2 1.46%
  • Scheyer, Jon

    102 74.45%
  • Thomas, Lance

    26 18.98%
  • Zoubek, Brian

    32 23.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 57
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by imagepro View Post
    I never made anyone say yes or no, as you say I did.
    Many of your polls were phrased in a way that required a yes or no answer. I often responded to your polls by saying that the question you posed couldn't be answered in the way that you phrased it. You did in fact ask yes/no questions when the best possible answers were neither a yes or a no.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Carolina Beach NC

    OK JUMBO- Read up-

    I DID extend an olive branch, which you ignored. Should we start anew? Absolutely. But YOU told trinity that I was unfair in my polls. You said things that are not true. And I did not say the poll was new to the internet, as you implied. I said it was my idea on DBR, and I also explained why I did it, so people could post without retaliation. You failed to mention that, as it was people like you I was trying to avoid. Many people liked my poll, as you are well aware. Why? Because they were not criticized and targeted. Finally there was a place to express views without having to hide from the barrage that was coming. I know you read what people said. Do you not care how they felt? I DID.

    As far as sarcasm, issues between you and I resulted ONLY because of your repeated use of it and intended intimidation of others. I have referenced this on numerous occasions. As a result, and as anticipated, you took a dislike to me. Which is ok. I knew you wouldn't like me taking up for others. It was clear what your response would be beforehand.

    You do make a good point about the efforts of the DBR staff to improve the site. And actually, I have agreed with some of the things you have said in hte past, although not frequently. And, believe it or not, some people have actually made points contrary to my thinking that have opened my eyes on occasion. As opposed to bashing them, I like to empathize and consider their points. I wonder, without sarcasm as I mean this, have you considered such an approach?

    All that being said, I WILL forget all this, and move on. While we don't like each other, we do love DUKE. At least I do. And I love our coaching staff. I have told Coach Dawkins TWICE on the radio show I feel they have done a GREAT job with this young team. Do I like everything they do? Of course not. YOU know I want MP to get more PT. Yet I think they are the best staff in America, if not the entire world. You see Jumbo, just because I don't agree with EVERY thing someone says or does, doesn't mean I don't like/admire/respect them. I can. Try it sometime, you just might feel good about yourself

  3. #23

    Picking 5 was tough

    I am no expert but I voted for:

    Paulus - running the offense plus he is showing a desire to take a shot and score when a bucket is needed

    Henderson - athleticism which we need on the wing, starting to show the ability to create and score.

    McClure - for good defense and the intangibles

    Scheyer - hopefully some outside shooting

    McRoberts - low post defense, rebounding and a backup ballhandler.

    Tough not to include DeMarcus in the mix, but I think he is pressing a little and finding himself in jams that he can't get out of either by passing or making
    the shot.

    Tough to include Josh as I thought his whole game and demeanor was less than desirable on Wednesday night, but had to look at it objectively.
    Hopefully he can put up 15 pts 10 boards and 4-5 blocks. No game from him, no chance for Duke against Carolina.

    My biggest problem with the 5 I chose is the ability, or lack thereof, to defend against dribble penetration from Lawson and others, but that is not anything new this year.

    By the way-is this poll only for the UNC game? Just wondering since the close of the poll is Monday night.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by imagepro View Post
    Try it sometime, you just might feel good about yourself

    What an incredibly condescending way to end a post. You are not doing much for your image, pro.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by imagepro View Post
    While we don't like each other, we do love DUKE.
    I've never said I don't like you. I've never met you. In the past, I have not liked some of what you've said, but those are just words on an internet message board. It's important not to personalize this stuff. It's quite possible to think someone's opinions are completely ridiculous and also think that person is a wonderful humanitarian. So, if you don't like me, that's your preference. I prefer to separate the person from the words/opinions. I think if you try that approach, you might find things more palatable around here. For instance, you might see that when I'm attacking someone's point, I'm attacking that person's knowledge on the subject, not how they take care of their children or how much money they give to charity.
    Either way, it is high past time to move on. So, let's do it.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Paulus - He's playing his best basketball right now and he's been our steadiest player for the last few games. Our offense stagnates without him. No brainer

    Scheyer - Again, no-brainer. He's a steadying force.

    McRoberts - As frustrating as he can be offensively, he is our most important player on the defensive side.

    Henderson - He can create his own shot like no one else on the team

    McClure - Plays bigger than he is, which is critical against Hansborough and Wright

    I think we 8 guys who play solid minutes right now, and even Marty has contributed, so I think we may face less fatigue than we seemed to in Cameron.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Any chance we could get a moderator to step in and end the madness?

    Oh, wait.....

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Any chance we could get a moderator to step in and end the madness?

    Oh, wait.....
    LOL. Well played.

  9. #29

    My Choices

    First of all I like the chart and the colors. Easy on the eyes for an old timer. Second, I don't care if Attila the Hun puts up the poll. If I find it interesting, I take part, if not, I move to the next post.

    My selections for starting line-up against the Heels are : Paulus and Henderson in the backcourt, Nelson on the wing and McRoberts and Zoubek in the frontcourt. These would be my choices for just this game because of the unique matchups the Heels present.

    I like Paulus at point because he is easily the best we've got and his offense has been top drawer recently. Can Lawson beat him off the dribble? Sure, but UNC is an inside-outside team and Williams wants his point to feed the post not go one-on-one like Singletary.

    I like Henderson over Scheyer for just this game because he will be up against his high school buddy who has gotten much more pub. Should be an incentive to play well.

    Nelson is the best combination of offense and defense at the wing position. Although Terry seems to be an afterthought in their offense, he is tall and has some skills. Nelson should be able to use his quickness to get free on offense and he has the strength to cause problems on defense.

    McRoberts should match up well against Wright.

    I like Zoubek over McClure because his size will give Hansbrough a problem, at least for a few minutes.

    gw67

  10. #30

    Thin Skinned Childishness

    I hope that this puts this crap to rest. We had to put up with it on the old board and, I for one, hoped it would stop. Get a life. This is an opinion board, not life and death. I read many Posts I don't agree with and then move on. I do not aim at Jumbo or Imagepro or any other poster. I want to read all opinions - both thought out and brain f$#*s!

    Can we quit the bickering, all grow up, be Duke fans, express our opinions, read or ignore others and get on with life?

  11. #31

    Staring 5

    As mentioned earlier, starting Paulus and McRoberts (but IMHO not Scheyer)is kind of a given. Well, since those opening minutes seem to be crucial and we need a rim attacker i'll start Gerald over Jon and Gerald can sit after 3 minutes to allow Jon to come off the bench when the UNC D has been conditioned for driving the lane and he can stretch them back out with 3s and outside jumpers. I'd start Z as well, just so that he can bang with Hansy for the first couple of minutes, who knows maybe he'll be able to frustrate Hansy while McRoberts sticks to Wright. I start Z b/c i don't think that LT on Wright is a good match-up for us and Z vs. TH as well as JM vs. BW seems better than JM vs. TH and LT vs. BW.
    So my 5 would be
    1 -Paulus
    2 -Nelson
    3 -Henderson
    4- McRoberts
    5- Zoubek
    with a substitution coming at 3 minutes of McClure/LT for Z and Scheyer for GH.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    I suppose I should post the reasons for my own starting lineup.
    Paulus -- No-brainer.
    Scheyer -- No-brainer (even though he's struggling with his shot, he's a steadying influence on the court and helps the team in a variety of ways).
    McRoberts -- As close to a no-brainer as you can get without being one; as much as he frustrates me on offense, he has to be on the floor for his defense, rebound and ball-handling.
    The last two spots are tricky. I went with Henderson and McClure.
    The only change I would make is to leave Markie in the starting line-up. First, this is a big game, and the atmosphere is a lot to handle. So, tie goes to the vet. (That's a big reason why I'd put McClure in there as well). Freshman are more likely to make self-destructive mistakes at the beginning of games like this. (If Lance started, I bet he'd have 2 fouls before we got 5 minutes into the game.) Also, Markie seems to be a leader on this team, and he has been in that role most all of the season. I wouldn't want to rock his confidence, and instead would use this as an opportunity to pump him up with the importance of his leadership. Last, I like the idea of bringing in a high energy spark after the game is underway. At the first tv timeout (assuming no major foul issues before then), I'd replace Markie and McClure with Gerald and Lance.
    "Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    More to the point, I think banning people because they disagree with you is ludicrous. We've been down that road before.
    Because they disagree with you, perhaps. Because they disagree with me, however ...

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Natiiiii
    hmm...

    The ideal starting line up for me would be.

    Paulus- 3 ball is big for us. We need him to shoot good three's and have minimum turnovers.
    Scheyer- Needs to hit all open 3's. Pleeeeasse hit all the threes you take.
    Henderson-Nelson is just to inconsistent right now.
    McClure-Defensive stud
    McRoberts- Needs to have a big game as well and shut down Carolina on the glass.

    Zoubek needs to come in as well for a good defensive presence.

    Anyways GO DUKE

    GTHC

  15. #35
    I shudder to think about the matchup issues presented by this game.

    Starters:
    Zoubek
    McRoberts
    McClure
    Thomas
    Henderson

    I am highly dissatisfied with the inability of the offense to create points, and if the point guard is going to be unable to create offense outside of his own shot, why even bother having a 1G?

    I am not particularly enamored of the motion IQ of any of the players on this team, but I do not exactly see anyone head and shoulders above anyone else in terms of their understanding and execution, nor any real dropoff given the relatively low motion IQ presented by the entire team.

    Anyway, the main rationale for my lineup is I think the command and control structure favored by the coaching staff has been exposed for its severe limitations re: the development of players this year, so I would favor any approach that led to the most talented players getting on the floor and taking the shackles off of them.

    I would allow them to play the style of basketball most comfortable and fun for them, exchanging more possessions and turnovers for fewer possessions which by necessity must be more highly valued. These kids do not look like they are having fun, and I am not having any fun watching them.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    FewFac,
    Are you serious with that? If so, I will give you a serious response. But I've had trouble detecting sarcasm from you in the past, so I wanted to clarify first. Thanks.

  17. #37
    Jumbo,

    I am not here to bait you into any type of response, and I am pretty well versed in most, if not all, of the responses likely to be engendered by my thoughts.

    The question was asked, and I gave my thoughts, but I do not exactly feel the necessity for a discussion of any type on its merits, or on anything else, as I feel the discussion is far overdone. Differing minds can differ, and this is an area on which I simply differ from most.

    Regardless, I have been pretty consistent in my position, a consistency that reflects a serious lack of attention to an issue that appears crystal clear to me. I can respect the accomplishments of a HOF'er, but that does not equal infallibility either.

    And while I think these kids have done a pretty good job, I think they are far under their potential, and I don't think a substantial case can be made re: player development outside of the self-motivation of a select few.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FewFAC View Post
    Jumbo,

    I am not here to bait you into any type of response, and I am pretty well versed in most, if not all, of the responses likely to be engendered by my thoughts.

    The question was asked, and I gave my thoughts, but I do not exactly feel the necessity for a discussion of any type on its merits, or on anything else, as I feel the discussion is far overdone. Differing minds can differ, and this is an area on which I simply differ from most.

    Regardless, I have been pretty consistent in my position, a consistency that reflects a serious lack of attention to an issue that appears crystal clear to me. I can respect the accomplishments of a HOF'er, but that does not equal infallibility either.

    And while I think these kids have done a pretty good job, I think they are far under their potential, and I don't think a substantial case can be made re: player development outside of the self-motivation of a select few.
    Fewfac,
    I didn't think you were trying to bait me at all. I found your take surprising, so I wanted to make sure I was understanding you clearly before replying. As I said, I've had trouble recognizing sarcasm in the past.
    Anyway, of course you are entitled to your opinion. By sharing it, one would assume you're also interested in discussing it. I certainly would like to, as I have some very different opinions (and can't quite grasp your lineup). I have to run, but I'll write back later. I look forward to an interesting dialogue.

  19. #39
    As an FYI, Duke has opened as 10-pt underdogs for tomorrow's game.

    http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/odds;_...I9vHUG8lrevbYF

    The last time we were that big an underdog has to be 1996.

  20. #40
    I would start Zoubek, Thomas, Pocius, McClure, and Henderson. But then again, I'm a Carolina fan.

    Seriously, though, I think your best 5 are Scheyer, Paulus, McRoberts, Nelson, and Henderson.

Similar Threads

  1. Who Will Start Down Low?
    By BlueintheFace in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-07-2008, 08:12 PM
  2. Why doesn't Scheyer start?
    By bird in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 12-08-2007, 10:31 AM
  3. Official Start of the Season
    By Wander in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-05-2007, 06:21 PM
  4. Who should start vs. NC State?
    By Jumbo in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-08-2007, 12:01 AM
  5. Will Pagliuca Start?
    By dukediv2013 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-28-2007, 10:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •