View Poll Results: Who would you start in the Carolina game? (Pick 5, obviously)

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Henderson, Gerald

90 65.69%
  • McClure, Dave

77 56.20%
  • McRoberts, Josh

129 94.16%
  • Nelson, DeMarcus

94 68.61%
  • Paulus, Greg

131 95.62%
  • Pocius, Martynas

2 1.46%
  • Scheyer, Jon

102 74.45%
  • Thomas, Lance

26 18.98%
  • Zoubek, Brian

32 23.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Who would you start?

Who would you start in the Carolina game? (Pick 5, obviously).

6?

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Who would you start in the Carolina game? (Pick 5, obviously).
    I would rather have 6. Is that OK? Every little bit helps...

Feel free to post your reasoning behind your lineup below.

Greg
    Jon
    Gerald
    Markie
    Josh

Start with small-ball just to mix them up, and maximize G's minutes. After 3 he comes out. We need to ID our hot handed scorers early on.
    The Gordog

Reasoning...

I'm no basketball expert but nevertheless, here's my ha' penny's worth:

Greg Paulus: runs the point better than anybody else on the team, team's best three point shooter, incredible intensity.

Gerald Henderson: one of the best, if not the best on our team to drive to the basket (good free throw shooter), good defense, great on transition and good intensity esp. in the previous Carolina game.

Lance Thomas: incredible intensity on defense and good rebounder.

Dave McClure: incredible intensity on defense and great rebounder.

Josh McRoberts: great passer, best low post defender on our team and great rebounder.

DeMarcus Nelson and Jon Scheyer: Very active part of the rotation, playing more minutes than Thomas and McClure.
    To have Nelson and Henderson run the break, drive to the basket alternatively, maybe complete alley hoops and then have Scheyer and Paulus drive and kick out to each other, seems great.

I'm torn. On the one hand, quick defenders cutting into the passing lanes frustrates Carolina. On the other, UNC loses the gaems where it gets out rebounded. Josh is a top notch defensive rebounder, but I believe plays a little too high on offense to crash the offensive glass.

He's such a good defender, passes so well and scores enough that I want him on the floor, but I think that means we need another big man around the hoop on offense.

Greg has been playing so well of late he has to start. DeMarcus is our best scorer and an excellent defender so he does, too.

Beyond that trio I'm uncertain. McClure has a bit of the Rodman effect at times, of just being where the rebound comes to, and he does all the little things. Zoubek has the height and is improving his game, and can frustrate Hansborough on the defensive end. Thomas could also fill that role.

And if Henderson is on, he's the guy I want. If he's not, I don't know.

If John has a hot hand, how can you sit him?

And while Marty isn't a guy I would pick to start, because I think the game needs to begin with a focus on defense (where he is improving), if UNC gets flustered and some break opportunities open up like they did for Georgia Tech, he's a guy that I think has the speed and court vision to really exploit them.

You know what I really love about all these guys? The same thing that everyone sees as their downside this year: they're all young. Every one of them is a kid that I lvoe having on this team, and over the next year, they're all going to get that much better.

Heck, they've already come a long way since November. The next couple weeks should be a good bit of fun to watch.

I think the top 4 are obvious. Greg, Markie, Josh, Scheyer.

My 5th choice goes to McClure as he showed a good ability to contain UNC's front line last time. LT will probably see nearly as many minutes, deservedly so, but I think McClure has a better chance of getting in Wright's freshman head.

Z has vastly improved his defense in the last month. Would be nice to bang up Hansblah a bit, but he's not quick enough to do it for long (nor savvy enough to make up for his feet with his head, yet). When he is in, I'd like to see Josh remain: not for the "twin towers" offense so much as for his help D. Lawson et al are going to penetrate our perimeter -- no way around it -- Z is not ready to consistently take away their lanes while also shadowing big quick forwards.

Who would you start? A POLL from JUMBO?

I DISTINCTLY remember you telling us that you hated the polls done by imagepro, and now you are doing them? You really are kidding me aren't you? Man does that take some nerve!

I tried to search for your exact comments (because as I recall, they were not politely stated) but the old posts were not available to me. This is unbelievable to me!

No wonder I haven't seen any posts from imagepro, and several others since the change.

Sheer Blasphemy.

Quote Originally Posted by trinitydevil View Post
    I DISTINCTLY remember you telling us that you hated the polls done by imagepro, and now you are doing them? You really are kidding me aren't you? Man does that take some nerve!

I tried to search for your exact comments (because as I recall, they were not politely stated) but the old posts were not available to me. This is unbelievable to me!

No wonder I haven't seen any posts from imagepro, and several others since the change.

Sheer Blasphemy.
    A suggestion -- when criticizing someone, at least use words whose definition you understand. Blasphemy.

Anyway, I love polls. I didn't like imagepro's polls because of the tone. In short, he dictated exactly how he wanted people to respond, commanded them to answer in yes/no form when they were often not yes/no questions and remprimanded people for not following his directions.

Most importantly, these new polls have colors. Lots and lots of colors. I like pretty colors.

I appreciate your dredging up old issues from the old board though, in the only post you've contributed here so far. That really adds to the atmosphere of a fresh start that Julio and Boswell are trying to cultivate. Thanks.

I suppose I should post the reasons for my own starting lineup.
    Paulus -- No-brainer.
    Scheyer -- No-brainer (even though he's struggling with his shot, he's a steadying influence on the court and helps the team in a variety of ways).
    McRoberts -- As close to a no-brainer as you can get without being one; as much as he frustrates me on offense, he has to be on the floor for his defense, rebound and ball-handling.
    The last two spots are tricky. I went with Henderson and McClure. I just like the way Gerald is playing better than DeMarcus right now. Markie is an outstanding defender, plays very hard and can score in bunches. But his offensive approach can be frustrating. As many have lamented, he tends to drive into the trees without a plan, and struggles to see the floor for kick-outs or dump-off passes. Henderson is bigger, can finish in ways Markie can't, and his floor vision is growing. I'm pretty sure Markie will start, and certainly don't have a problem with it, but I'd go with Henderson over him.
    I don't think this is the right matchup for smallball, so the last spot is McClure, Thomas or Zoubek. I think Zoubek's minutes need to be managed carefully, and while he frustratd Hansbrough on the last game, I worry about his effect on Duke's offense early. I considered Thomas, but ultimately went with McClure because I like the job he did on Hansbrough last game. His quickness bothered Tyler, he's strong enough to hold his ground, and his help D is critical against a team with UNC's quickness. Plus, I worry about early foul trouble with Thomas. So, I think starting McClure on Hansbrough and letting Josh handle Wright's length is the best option.
    Either way, those guys will all play a lot.

Greetings Jumbo- Sorry it came to this

Sorry that trinitydevil took up for me. I just got a call from him as he is a good friend of mine. He is from High Point, I from Carolina Beach, but he sits in front of me at Cameron. He told me of your poll, and I wanted to participate and vote too. Is that ok? Like you, I enjoy polls. IN fact, thats why I started them in the first place. That, and a venue for people to say what they want without fear of reprecussion from people like you.

But I am going to respond to your comments about the polls I ran. I never made anyone say yes or no, as you say I did. I encouraged them to offer reasoning with their vote. I DID tell them NOT to blast others for what they said. This was to protect them from people like you Jumbo, who get such enjoyment out of making people feel small. You couldn't refrain from doing it to trinitydevil in your last post!

Anyway, my polls often asked questions such as "who gets the game ball" or "did the slowdown affect the outcome of the game". How is that directing people to say what I wanted them to say? You obviously don't like me, and ONLY because I stood up to you. Well sir, the feeling is mutual.

Anyway, I'm voting in your poll, even if you stole my idea. You can have it.
    I won't call the polls stupid or whatever terminology you used, as that would be stooping to your level. Now that you of all people are a moderator, I expect you will ban me. That's ok. I would expect nothing less from someone like you.

I sat Josh. Sorry. His lack of compusure during the Maryland game again disturbs me.

Zoubek. It all starts with defense, right? He plays well enough and has a natural rebounding edge. Getting rebounds on either end of the floor will slow down the pace. He played very well against UNC last time. Of course, I bring Josh in as soon as possible.

Scheyer. Do I need to state a reason?

Henderson. Hopefully the magic continues.

Paulus. How can you not start him? He is the heart of this team and is running the team very well.

Nelson. He starts out really quick in games. I would be sure to sub for him often and tell him exactly what I want him to do when he goes back in. Run the baseline, get out on the break and shoot the open 3. Do not drive to the middle of the lane unless it is WIDE open.
    Last edited by Chard; 03-02-2007 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by imagepro View Post
    Sorry that trinitydevil took up for me. I just got a call from him as he is a good friend of mine. He is from High Point, I from Carolina Beach, but he sits in front of me at Cameron. He told me of your poll, and I wanted to participate and vote too. Is that ok? Like you, I enjoy polls. IN fact, thats why I started them in the first place. That, and a venue for people to say what they want without fear of reprecussion from people like you.

But I am going to respond to your comments about the polls I ran. I never made anyone say yes or no, as you say I did. I encouraged them to offer reasoning with their vote. I DID tell them NOT to blast others for what they said. This was to protect them from people like you Jumbo, who get such enjoyment out of making people feel small. You couldn't refrain from doing it to trinitydevil in your last post!

Anyway, my polls often asked questions such as "who gets the game ball" or "did the slowdown affect the outcome of the game". How is that directing people to say what I wanted them to say? You obviously don't like me, and ONLY because I stood up to you. Well sir, the feeling is mutual.

I won't call the polls stupid or whatever terminology you used, as that would be stooping to your level. Now that you of all people are a moderator, I expect you will ban me. That's ok. I would expect nothing less from someone like you.
    IP,
    I had posted this before your post. I believe you were looking for a fresh start before, right? Fresh start it is.
    I'm not trying to make anyone look small. When I'm called "blasphemous," I think it's appropriate to point out that the person hurling the term doesn't know what the word even means. You've got to start seeing things both ways, dude. This is what got us in trouble in the first place; you called me out, said I was sarcastic and belittling, and then started threads like "Debate Jumbo."
    This is a new board, and one that is pretty awesome, thanks to the effort of J&B. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt over here; you extended half an olive branch on the stopgap board, and I'll give you the chance to follow through. Peace?
    (BTW, I think the concept of internet polls, especially considering the option is embedded in this board software, is fairly old. But if you'd like credit for this, and believe I stole your idea, I can rename this "YOU TELL ME" if you like. Just let me know)

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.

Red face Let's all get along now

And direct all this animus at the Tar Heels
    GTHC GTH
    9F 9F 9F 9F

Paulus-He's our point guard, and a damn good one.

Scheyer - He's a really good basketball player, on offense and defense.

McRoberts - Excellent rebounder, great defender, excellent passer.

Nelson - Great defender and good rebounder with the potential to light it up.

Zoubek - Someone has to be around to rebound when Josh bricks it from five feet.

FWIW, I invented internet polls. It was about eight weeks ago. IT'S A FACT! You can look it up.

Sage Grouse Picks

McRoberts -- no issue for me
    Paulus -- ditto
    Scheyer -- need the scoring (and the savvy)
    Nelson -- his scoring is in the first half -- needs to start -- also, muscles are important in this game
    McClure -- starting is best for our steadiest defender

Henderson -- points off the bench -- goodness knows we need them
    Thomas -- needs to earn minutes through good D (w/o fouling)
    Zoubek -- need some production from the big guy
    Poat-zeus -- still looking for a breakout game from Marty

Sage Grouse
    'Six feet plus of snow in Steamboat in the past week'

I am pretty sure bannings are up to the administrators. Individual moderators cannot do it. Someone more knowledgable can chime in and correct me, if necessary.

Lineup

I went with Henderson, Paulus, Scheyer, McBob and Zoubek. Henderson is playing well and played great against UNC last game. He likes the big game. Scheyer will get some open looks as UNC does not defend the three well. I went with Zoubek to start but not to play a lot. I think he would respond well to starting and perhaps be better prepared to enter the game later if Josh/Thomas got into some foul trouble against UNC's bigs. Nelson should spell Henderson and look to shoot from outside and McClure would be in quickly to spell Zoubek.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
    I am pretty sure bannings are up to the administrators. Individual moderators cannot do it. Someone more knowledgable can chime in and correct me, if necessary.
    More to the point, I think banning people because they disagree with you is ludicrous. We've been down that road before.

my line-up

Paulus- playing his best basketball right now, and our best shooter- we will need his 3-point shot; my only concern is his ability to defend if he has to guard Lawson

Nelson- our best defender, excellent rebounder; we need him to have a good offensive game (few turnovers, no offensive fouls, but still aggressive)

Scheyer- hoping he gets back into form- he looked tired vs Maryland, but he was key vs Carolina last game

McRoberts: must be smart on defense; I would have him guard Hansbrough to start, but he will see time vs Wright as well

Thomas: if we are going to win, Lance will need to have a good game on defense (few fouls but aggressive) and the boards

off the bench at the first time-out: Henderson for Scheyer or Nelson; McClure or Zoubek for Thomas