Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Well, my predictions for the UVA were pretty close (I said 27-21) so I'm gonna throw out my predictions for the UNC game, and like my very scientific basis for my last prediction, I'll will proceed to pull these directly from my butt.

Duke over UNC, 24-13.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSean View Post
    Well, my predictions for the UVA were pretty close (I said 27-21) so I'm gonna throw out my predictions for the UNC game, and like my very scientific basis for my last prediction, I'll will proceed to pull these directly from my butt.

Duke over UNC, 24-13.
    Hopefully your butt maintains it's commendable level of accuracy...

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    You can always shell out 6 bux and get a monthly audio subscription on goduke and listen that way, too...even cheaper if you pay for a year up front.
    Who does the audio on the goduke.com subscription?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Who does the audio on the goduke.com subscription?
    Bob & Co...it's the same feed as the radio.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Bob & Co...it's the same feed as the radio.
    I thought it would be but thanks for verifying it. Have a great time at the game - I hope you leave Kenan with a huge smile on your face!

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I thought it would be but thanks for verifying it. Have a great time at the game - I hope you leave Kenan with a huge smile on your face!
    I hope we can leave safely without incident!

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    I'm going to assume this is sarcasm. I don't think i've heard Bob call basketball but he's notoriously bad at football coverage.

Like seriously...he'll try and describe everything about a play, fumble around with details (like player names) for 25 seconds....and only at the END describe the end result of the play (rushed for 5 yards, first down, etc.) He also exaggerates a bajillion things and makes wrong calls at times.

It is painful as hell. I appreciate his views, but he just isn't particularly good at giving me the game without making me want to shoot him at least 3 times during the game.
    Good or Bad - he's OURS! Unlike other schools not to be named, we don't turn on our own. Dislike him if you must, but remember he is part of the family - we try to not turn on our own.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Good or Bad - he's OURS! Unlike other schools not to be named, we don't turn on our own. Dislike him if you must, but remember he is part of the family - we try to not turn on our own.
    Huh? Dude, I'm not saying that i think he's a bad person. i'm saying he's a poor play-by-play guy. That's not turning on one's own.

@Devilinabluedress, is that UNC's commentator? I guess not :-P. But i'm very happy i get ESPNU this week, so i get the best of both worlds.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Bob Harris - the voice of the Blue Devils.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_8z4uEGGls

I really hope we beat the Holes Saturday. If we can find a way to do it, I am so anxious to see the environment for the game against Georgia Tech at Wallace Wade. Duke football needs that type of game. Bring all the bandwagon fans back...get Wallace Wade full of blue with a ton riding on the outcome. If there were ever a game to get Duke fans in the seats and loud...that would be it. What a feeling that would be for all of us that have stuck with the team through all the losing. What a feeling that would be for the seniors. WOW!

I am afraid the Tar Heels will gives us a big challenge on Saturday. Our guys have a lot of momentum though. Not to mention a lot of payback coming for all of the losses we have to the evil empire over the years. It's time!

I don't even want to say it, but if we should fall to the Holes, the G. Tech game is still huge. We could knock them back to 2 losses also and we would have a tiebreaker over them. 4 games left in the season and we are in the thick of the race. If I am dreaming, I hope I keep sleeping for awhile.

His voice has gotten lower since then. Also, just the description of that play is far better than anything in football.

Example: The Big Play last week: Thad throws it to Kelly...no varner....noo uhhhh (*5 seconds passs*) Conner Vernon who's in the open field touchdown!

We're derailing this thread here though, so if you want a bob-harris discussion, lets make a seperate thread for it.
    ------------------------------------------
    Lets. Go. DUKE! 9f9f9f9f9f. etc.

Carolina Delenda Est

Going to be a great game

It's now 40 years since the "shoestring" play.

A trick play to beat the Tarheels? Fine with me.

You know, Bob may not be the best play-by-play guy. But, as far as I know, his descriptions of Duke's finest moments couldn't have been scripted and done any better!

Go, Bob! Whenever Mr. Harris retires will be a sad day. If I could get the radio sound synched up with TV, I'd listen to him every game.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    You know, Bob may not be the best play-by-play guy. But, as far as I know, his descriptions of Duke's finest moments couldn't have been scripted and done any better!

Go, Bob! Whenever Mr. Harris retires will be a sad day. If I could get the radio sound synched up with TV, I'd listen to him every game.
    I agree - Bob is the man! Whaever he lacks as a play-by-play guy he makes up for in enthusiasm and love for Duke.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I agree - Bob is the man! Whaever he lacks as a play-by-play guy he makes up for in enthusiasm and love for Duke.
    That sums him up for me. I'd rather listen to Bob in football and basketball over anyone esle while the Devil's play, it's like having a seat next to a fan just as die hard as you are...except he can't cuss and call the refs names. I've even listened to him while in the stadium...made for a more informative game.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

That's true! Having Wes Chesson and Anthony Dilweg adding their comments makes me feel like I have a pass to walk the sidelines with the coaches and the team.

That sums him up for me. I'd rather listen to Bob in football and basketball over anyone esle while the Devil's play, it's like having a seat next to a fan just as die hard as you are...except he can't cuss and call the refs names. I've even listened to him while in the stadium...made for a more informative game.
    Bob's a homer. No doubt. But not so much as Woody. I'll take Bob any day, and twice on Sunday.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post

Second this. I love the guy, both for his enthusiasm and for nostalgia's sake. However, I also agree that it is quite stressful to listen to him if you can't see what's going on, because you usually get his emotional reaction before you get the facts!

Just to get us back on topic, let's talk about what Duke will need to do to win:

1. The Offensive Line needs to give Thad SOME time to look for his receivers. Last week we gave up 6 sacks. Let's aim for 5 sacks this time against a strong as hell UNC Defensive Line.

2. Duke's running game making tiny appearances here and there to establish a "run threat..." and then getting the hell out of dodge. In the first two drives at UVA, we had double as many running plays as passing plays (17-10 was the ratio in favor of rushing iirc). UVA was known for being a weak run defense (especially compared to its pass defense). UNC...not so much. We should be passing at least 2 out of every 3 plays from the get-go. More Importantly, Duke should NOT BE RUNNING EVERY FIRST DOWN. We fell into this around the 3rd quarter vs UVA, which made it very easy for UVA to plan their defense around us. Passing on first down will allow Thad at least one down (per every 4 downs) where he will have more time to find his receivers for nice gains.

Rather than running, going back to the screen passes (to Scott or Hollingsworth) we used vs Maryland and NC State would be advisable.

3. The Defense needs to stop UNC's run game. UNC's offense is pretty poor, and TJ Yates...is not very impressive. Take away UNC's run game and Yates will have to beat us on his own. And while our secondary is not particularly effective at times, we still want UNC passing in this game.

4. Perhaps key here...Special Teams needs to be perfect. UNC's weakness is their offense, so allowing them to score any points due to their return game will be devastating. Keep them starting their drives from their own 40 or shorter. I don't ask for much. I actually won't be too upset if Snyderwine kicks the ball OOB on kickoffs here.

----------------------------------------------------
    Thoughts, yall?

Carolina Delenda Est