Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    i am going to take a look at the nexus...if it can save me money over AT&T i might go for it...my AT&T service has been fine, but the cost is ridiculous.

I love my iphone....but if it's tied to the carrier, not so much...

I'll be happy once Android 2.1 comes to the Droid. It's really the software that matters the most in this case, although the Nexus One has a sweet processor and form factor.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I'm waiting for Verizon to offer the iPhone later this year. If I need to upgrade my phone before then, I'd probably go with the Motorola Droid. If Verizon never offers the iPhone, I'd probably go with the Droid.
    Note that Verizon will be offering the Nexus One sometime soon as well.

I continue to be perfectly delighted with my Motorola Droid, which does everything I want from a smart phone and more. So far as I can tell, neither the iPhone nor the new Google phone offers anything of interest to me that the Droid doesn't already provide. And I trust the Droid will continue to evolve as further software updates are released.

Agree with Stray. No regrets with my Droid. Great phone, tremendous video capability. Many good apps. For folks who play the guitar, Robotic Guitarist is a great free app and although I was skeptical the docking station is really cool too.

If I could just get it to allow me to do hands free blue tooth calls in my car I'd be all set. I suspect they will patch this issue soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    Agree with Stray. No regrets with my Droid. Great phone, tremendous video capability. Many good apps. For folks who play the guitar, Robotic Guitarist is a great free app and although I was skeptical the docking station is really cool too. ...
    Agree about the Droid docking station--definitely one of my favorite Christmas presents!

Droid Eris

Any more recent experience with the HTC Droid Eris? I'm looking for a reliable, cheap smartphone, and since I also have every aspect of my life manage by google, this seems like the obvious answer. I've read that sometime early this year (first quarter) they will be releasing a software upgrade to 2.0...

Quote Originally Posted by DukeFencer View Post
    Any more recent experience with the HTC Droid Eris? I'm looking for a reliable, cheap smartphone, and since I also have every aspect of my life manage by google, this seems like the obvious answer. I've read that sometime early this year (first quarter) they will be releasing a software upgrade to 2.0...
    I'm curious about this too and have done a bit of searching regards to the HTC Droid Eris vs. Motorola Droid. BTW, the Eris is only $10 on Amazon with a 2-year contract, pretty darn cheap. (Compared to $110 for Moto Droid). Note that I haven't had exposure to either so I'm not speaking from first hand experience, but based on what I've read, it seems like these are the main differences:

1.) Eris physically feels better in your hand and has a simpler, sleeker UI than the Droid. Droid has more functionalities perhaps, but it's not as intuitive and simplistic.
    2.) Droid runs 2.0, offering Google navigation, while Eris seems to still be on 1.5, although it should be upgraded in first quarter as you said. Software difference is fairly significant to some consumers, so this could be deciding factor until the Eris gets the upgrade.
    3.) Droid has much better screen resolution and a larger screen at that, making web pages easier to read and the phone larger in general.
    4.) Battery life for the Eris is the most common complaint. If you have wifi enabled at all times and mobile broadband, prepare to charge it every night. The Droid battery life is also not ideal, but better than the Eris. There are certainly ways to improve battery life by configuring it differently though.
    5.) Droid has a physical keyboard, while Eris does not. Although people don't seem to like the keyboard on the Droid since it's too squished and the keys are difficult to press.
    6.) Droid's processor is a bit faster.

I personally think I'm leaning towards the Eris as it's cheaper and smaller (as soon as it gets upgraded to Android 2.0). Either are a big upgrade from my current phone that I just use for calls - although it works very well in that regard.

Verizon is advertising buy a Moto Droid, get an Eris for free. I'm sure that is after mail in rebates.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

They also have a buy an Eris, get an Eris free. Thanks to some fancy negotiating by my sister an Eris is en route to my house, courtesy of her purchase of a Moto Droid awhile ago. Price was too good to pass up!

Looking for DROID Help

OK... I need help!

I picked up my DROID on Thursday and have been having a blast playing with it ever since. I only have 1 problem although it is admittedly a huge issue. I can't hang up the phone after a phone call! I am sure it must be a setting that needs changed, but I have friends with the phone who have tried to look at it and it appears as though settings are fine. When I place a call (or take one) my screen goes black as I am talking. When the call is ready to be hung up, I can't get the screen to come back on. I try the power button, I try opening up the keyboard--nothing works. The phone is essentially "locked up" for a couple of minutes. Is there anyone that can offer a suggestion? I have pulled the battery, and I have checked all settings that I can think of...

Quote Originally Posted by ivduke View Post
    OK... I need help!

I picked up my DROID on Thursday and have been having a blast playing with it ever since. I only have 1 problem although it is admittedly a huge issue. I can't hang up the phone after a phone call! I am sure it must be a setting that needs changed, but I have friends with the phone who have tried to look at it and it appears as though settings are fine. When I place a call (or take one) my screen goes black as I am talking. When the call is ready to be hung up, I can't get the screen to come back on. I try the power button, I try opening up the keyboard--nothing works. The phone is essentially "locked up" for a couple of minutes. Is there anyone that can offer a suggestion? I have pulled the battery, and I have checked all settings that I can think of...
    Since I don't have one I can't make any suggestion other that call Verizon and ask them. You may have a defective phone and need to have it replaced. I would guess that Stray doesn't have this problem...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

OK... I need help!

The screen should go black when you hold the phone to your face using a proximity sensor (this saves on battery life). When you move the phone away from your face to hang up or whatever, the screen should come back on so you can push the end call icon or any other function. I would take the phone back as it sounds like there is something defective with the sensor. I have never had any issue like this.

On the Droid vs Eris question:
    I would skip the Droid Eris. It's cheap yes, but it's outdated software AND hardware. The SenseUI skins really just get in the way of rolling out new OS updates. The Eris may be pretty out of the box, but you can customize any stock Android OS (like droid) to look like this with a variety of apps (typically free).

If you need something on Verizon now, get the Droid. If you can wait a bit, go for the Nexus One on VZW.

OK... I need help!

I had the same quandary the first couple of times I used the Droid for phone calls. The answer: Try being just a little more patient. When you're talking on the phone, the Droid touchscreen automatically goes black and "inactive" so that you don't accidentally touch a button on the screen (and possibly disconnect the call) while the screen is in contact with your cheek. Once the call ends, a second or two after the phone detects that it is no longer in contact with your face, the touchscreen display will automatically come back on and you'll see the red "End" button that you can touch to hang up the call.

Issue found/solved...

I wanted o thank everyone for their suggestions and also relate the solution that ultimately solved the issue. As Stray said there are sensors on the phone which recognize when the phone is in contact with your face. My problem was I bought a bundle package of accessories from Ebay ($17 for 2 chargers, USB, hard case, screen cover, etc.) and realize now that the case was covering one of the sensors and leading to my issues. I found a site call droidforumns.net and the information on there is unbelievable. I popped in my issue and within minutes had the answer. Additionally, if you have purchased chargers from Ebay please do not use them with the DROID--there have been all kinds of issues described on that site.

I wanted o thank everyone for their suggestions and also relate the solution that ultimately solved the issue. As Stray said there are sensors on the phone which recognize when the phone is in contact with your face. My problem was I bought a bundle package of accessories from Ebay ($17 for 2 chargers, USB, hard case, screen cover, etc.) and realize now that the case was covering one of the sensors and leading to my issues. I found a site call droidforumns.net and the information on there is unbelievable. I popped in my issue and within minutes had the answer. Additionally, if you have purchased chargers from Ebay please do not use them with the DROID--there have been all kinds of issues described on that site.
    Many of the 3rd party cases and chargers leave a lot to be desired, although the car dock and desk dock work like a charm. I keep mine naked, it'll take a lot to scratch that screen.

I recommend this moto charger

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    Many of the 3rd party cases and chargers leave a lot to be desired, although the car dock and desk dock work like a charm. I keep mine naked, it'll take a lot to scratch that screen.

I recommend this moto charger
    Agreed. I initially bought and used a plastic case and screen protector. But then I got one of these multimedia docking stations, which I highly recommend -- http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Droid...f=pd_sim_cps_7 -- and had to remove the case to allow the device to fit. Since then, I've learned that the screen is made of an incredibly hard glass that is virtually impossible to scratch. Just to be safe, however, I got one of these slim leather cases, which works great for protecting the Droid when I carrying it in my pocket: http://www.amazon.com/Droid-Motorola...xp_grid_pt_2_1