Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Moto Droid (Verizon's Android Phone)

The Droid was officially announced today. Based on dozens of reports I've read, it sounds like a pretty sweet phone. I'm planning to go out next Friday (11/6) to try to snag one based on the Google Navigation alone.

Despite being a tech-loving geek, I've thus far stayed away from the iPhone. I'm excited to finally having the Internet on the go.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    The Droid was officially announced today. Based on dozens of reports I've read, it sounds like a pretty sweet phone. I'm planning to go out next Friday (11/6) to try to snag one based on the Google Navigation alone.

Despite being a tech-loving geek, I've thus far stayed away from the iPhone. I'm excited to finally having the Internet on the go.
    Wow, that does sound nice.

You do know that iPhone does have google maps as it's default map service, right? It doesn't speak to you, but it gives you directions -- for car, walking, or public transport.

Also, i'm confused about the bold part -- is this a reference to ATT poor 3G coverage? Because the iPhone has the internet...

Motorola? No thank you. I'll wait for an HTC or Samsung phone with Android 2.0.

(I still have a G1 and love it thus far)

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post

What's wrong with Motorola? I don't know much about this subject, but was thinking about getting the Droid.

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    What's wrong with Motorola? I don't know much about this subject, but was thinking about getting the Droid.
    just being a phone snob I used to write software for phones, and Motorola phones were absolutely the worst in terms of compatibility and overall quality. every phone they've produced since the razr (inclusive) has been absolutely awful (anyone remember the rokr? part of that was steve jobs sabotaging it but that's another story)

to be fair, the droid is getting a lot of good reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    No mention of your new app?
    Well, if you insist it's pretty much useless for 99% of people. Phonetic keyboard for writing Korean.

HTC makes a good phone, as does Samsung. But Samsung uses too many proprietary connectors - special charger, special headphone jack, etc. Trez annoying for interop. HTC ftw on that one.
    pshh, my HTC doesn't even have a headphone jack, you need to connect it via usb!

HTC makes a good phone, as does Samsung. But Samsung uses too many proprietary connectors - special charger, special headphone jack, etc. Trez annoying for interop. HTC ftw on that one.

Like I said before, DA, just another good excuse for you geeks to spend more time charging your batts.

Quote Originally Posted by YourLandlord View Post
    Wow, that does sound nice.

You do know that iPhone does have google maps as it's default map service, right? It doesn't speak to you, but it gives you directions -- for car, walking, or public transport.

Also, i'm confused about the bold part -- is this a reference to ATT poor 3G coverage? Because the iPhone has the internet...
    Google Navigation is a new product for Android 2.0 only at this point. It differes from basic Google Maps in that it does turn by turn directions spoken directions and can search by voice command. It also switches to StreetView when you get close to your destination.

Check out TomTom and Garmin's stock prices. Both tanked yesterday after Google announced they'd be eating their lunches.

Google Navigation is a new product for Android 2.0 only at this point. It differes from basic Google Maps in that it does turn by turn directions spoken directions and can search by voice command. It also switches to StreetView when you get close to your destination.
    Right, but the fact is -- the iPhone has google maps. And it can give you directions between two places. The only GPS feature it does not have is a voice talking to you (which, on my GPS device, I never use anyway -- far too annoying)

The marginal upgrade of a voice is not worth the celebration that OMG GOOGLE NAVIGATION HAS ARRIVEEEEEDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Open Source

As I understand it the Android is open source while the iphone is closed and all new iphone apps need Apple's approval.

Will the open source not encourage or make it easier for hackers to send out Android worms etc to sabotage the phone.

SoCal

One of my Facebook friends posted this link yesterday, which outlines the total cost of owning the iPhone vs. the Palm Pre vs. the Droid. It also compares a basic feature list. (I'm sure DevilAlumna will join one of the blogs comments in pointing out that the comparison does not include a Windows Mobile phone .) I thought it was interesting, though I'm too cheap to spend $1500/year on my cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Will the open source not encourage or make it easier for hackers to send out Android worms etc to sabotage the phone.
    This is an interesting question. I am definitely not an expert when it comes to programming or cell phones. My only long-term experience with a open-source vs. closed source programs is when I switched from IE to Firefox in 2004. In that case, the open source program was much more secure. Maybe with more eyes looking at the code, the "good guys" are more likely to discover the security holes before the hackers do? (Again, I am by no means an expert here.)

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post

SoCal
    Not really, but it does make the market full of crap. Well, more full of crap than the iPhone market. Anyone with $25 can post an app on the market and it becomes available within minutes - this might be a good thing for developers, but it's a nightmare for consumers. Actually it's not that great for developers either as it dilutes the market and when monetization becomes an issue, quality of apps drops.

I think what they still should have made the marketplace a very closed place like the iPhone AppStore. Then if you want to add a 3rd party app outside the marketplace, you can still do it, you just have to be careful about it.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    One of my Facebook friends posted this link yesterday, which outlines the total cost of owning the iPhone vs. the Palm Pre vs. the Droid. It also compares a basic feature list. (I'm sure DevilAlumna will join one of the blogs comments in pointing out that the comparison does not include a Windows Mobile phone .) I thought it was interesting, though I'm too cheap to spend $1500/year on my cell phone.

Not really, but it does make the market full of crap. Well, more full of crap than the iPhone market. Anyone with $25 can post an app on the market and it becomes available within minutes - this might be a good thing for developers, but it's a nightmare for consumers. Actually it's not that great for developers either as it dilutes the market and when monetization becomes an issue, quality of apps drops.

I think what they still should have made the marketplace a very closed place like the iPhone AppStore. Then if you want to add a 3rd party app outside the marketplace, you can still do it, you just have to be careful about it.
    Great post, I share your sentiments. A marketplace with no quality assurance is a scary marketplace.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Great post, I share your sentiments. A marketplace with no quality assurance is a scary marketplace.
    Don't fall for the hype. The Apple QA process is a complete joke. The average application and/or update receives a 6-minute QA review.

6 minutes. I wonder if that counts the thirty second install?

And contra the counter-hype, Android Marketplace is not a bulletin board where any shmoe can put up just anything and it goes live. There is a minimal QA process to prevent virus foolishness, etc. My guess is Google isn't shameless enough to call that a QA check.

I have an Android phone myself. I love it-- but it sure as heck isn't really an iPhone. (Particularly since I don't have the data plan!)

There's a lot of reasons to go with an iPhone over an Android device-- a LOT of them. But a thoroughly QA'd app store is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    And contra the counter-hype, Android Marketplace is not a bulletin board where any shmoe can put up just anything and it goes live. There is a minimal QA process to prevent virus foolishness, etc. My guess is Google isn't shameless enough to call that a QA check.
    The minimal process certainly doesn't involve any real person. I uploaded my application in the marketplace, and when I didn't see any "pending" messages, I was curious. I went to my phone and was able to find it in the Android marketplace. Within maybe 2 minutes of uploading my application. My guess is the only thing they do is make sure the application bundle is compiled correctly and the signature matches.

As an aside, I hate how there are tons of fake apps titled "Facebook Browser" or "Yahoo Browser" -- pretty sure it's all from the same Indian or Chinese company. All it does is load up an app that is a web browser (which takes no programming) with a home page set to yahoo or facebook, and every time the app loads, it displays an ad. I tried out the "Yahoo Browser" because it had the official-looking Yahoo icon, and I wanted to check out another browser. If there was any kind of a QA process, this type of dispicable behavior would not have been allowed to continue, but it does, because there is no review process, at least not one that is stringent enough.

The main reason (as far as I can tell) developers get upset about the iPhone platform is its closed nature, in that you can't download some random app unless you jailbreak your phone, which can also void your warranty and whatnot. The Android platform allows you to download anything you want already - what it needs is not a flea market that the current marketplace is, but a mall like the AppStore.

Alternate idea: Maybe there is room for the current Android Marketplace, but if they are serious about continuing the Android platform for phones, there also needs to be a secondary store, perhaps one that charges developers an annual fee (iPhone = $99/yr) and guarantees X amount of QA per app submitted. They can also publicize the app review status and reasons for rejection, and rejected apps can fall through to the current marketplace, and everyone is happy (or maybe just me and 2535Miles).

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    The minimal process certainly doesn't involve any real person. I uploaded my application in the marketplace, and when I didn't see any "pending" messages, I was curious. I went to my phone and was able to find it in the Android marketplace. Within maybe 2 minutes of uploading my application. My guess is the only thing they do is make sure the application bundle is compiled correctly and the signature matches.

As an aside, I hate how there are tons of fake apps titled "Facebook Browser" or "Yahoo Browser" -- pretty sure it's all from the same Indian or Chinese company. All it does is load up an app that is a web browser (which takes no programming) with a home page set to yahoo or facebook, and every time the app loads, it displays an ad. I tried out the "Yahoo Browser" because it had the official-looking Yahoo icon, and I wanted to check out another browser. If there was any kind of a QA process, this type of dispicable behavior would not have been allowed to continue, but it does, because there is no review process, at least not one that is stringent enough.

The main reason (as far as I can tell) developers get upset about the iPhone platform is its closed nature, in that you can't download some random app unless you jailbreak your phone, which can also void your warranty and whatnot. The Android platform allows you to download anything you want already - what it needs is not a flea market that the current marketplace is, but a mall like the AppStore.

Alternate idea: Maybe there is room for the current Android Marketplace, but if they are serious about continuing the Android platform for phones, there also needs to be a secondary store, perhaps one that charges developers an annual fee (iPhone = $99/yr) and guarantees X amount of QA per app submitted. They can also publicize the app review status and reasons for rejection, and rejected apps can fall through to the current marketplace, and everyone is happy (or maybe just me and 2535Miles).
    Thanks for this. I am surprised that the vetting is THAT minimal.

I must concede that while 6 minutes of review by the iPhone App Store doesn't mean much, it really should stop some of the abuses you're referring to, which means it does have some significance that I underrated.

According to the press I've read, the cell phone providers are planning to, in fact, move in the direction you describe by either setting up alternate stores (Verizon) or branded Marketplace "channels" (T-Mobile).

Android is never really going to "beat" the iPhone in functionality for a lot of reasons. But since it has a target, it's going to get closer over time. And as that happens, it's going to put pressure on iPhone pricing.
    Last edited by alteran; 11-05-2009 at 11:07 AM. Reason: "you are describe"?? ugh.

Right, but the fact is -- the iPhone has google maps. And it can give you directions between two places. The only GPS feature it does not have is a voice talking to you (which, on my GPS device, I never use anyway -- far too annoying)

The marginal upgrade of a voice is not worth the celebration that OMG GOOGLE NAVIGATION HAS ARRIVEEEEEDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't know, it looks pretty good to me. Wall St seems impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGXK4...eature=related

I don't know, it looks pretty good to me. Wall St seems impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGXK4...eature=related
    I don't understand why people are impressed.

What's the point of a GPS? To a) see where you are now, b) determine where you want to go, and c) give you directions on how to get there.

The iPhone, using google maps, already does this.

What's the big deal? That it talks to you? Is that really some world-altering event?

The tech world, amplified by billions of blogs, has really started talking up things that aren't, in reality, that big of a deal. Yes, it's always been this way, but it's getting much worse.

Here's a reason...

The biggest deal is that it is available to Verizon users and the Iphone isn't In this area AT+T service is less than desireable.... Verizon is much better and now they have a comparable phone
    I don't understand why people are impressed.

What's the point of a GPS? To a) see where you are now,) determine where you want to go, and c) give you directions on how to get there.

The iPhone, using google maps, already does this.

What's the big deal? That it talks to you? Is that really some world-altering event?

The tech world, amplified by billions of blogs, has really started talking up things that aren't, in reality, that big of a deal. Yes, it's always been this way, but it's getting much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by ivduke View Post
    The biggest deal is that it is available to Verizon users and the Iphone isn't In this area AT+T service is less than desireable.... Verizon is much better and now they have a comparable phone
    I was going to bring up that point earlier.

In every area I've lived (and most that I've visited), Verizon's service has been exceptional and preferable to any other. Five years ago I was really concerned with having the latest phone with the the coolest features. Then I realized that all I really needed was reliable coverage. I have not even thought about changing carriers since. I've been with Verizon for ~9 years now and if I were upgrading to a smart phone, changing carriers would be a dealbreaker for me.