Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Angry

Yuck...I am angry at myself for reading that article. As mentioned in previous posts, he made no clear or persuasive points what-so-ever! Larry Bird is only iconic in Boston and Indiana... really? nevermind I give up......
    Hate, Hate, Hate

Quote Originally Posted by taiw93 View Post
    The thing that really upsets me is the fact that all of the hurtful things said about Duke and its student body (portrayed to be a group of rich, pampered white racists) during the lacrosse case are only reinforced by this article. I wish I had a chance to inform all who read this that this in no way reflects the feelings of the Duke community and student body. Why it was allowed to be punlished is beyond me.

On edit: I'm all for freedom of speech, but I do think something should be done to discipline this student in some way, or at the very least, discourage him from writing such tasteless articles in the future.
    So leave a comment!

Quote Originally Posted by west_coast_devil View Post
    Yuck...I am angry at myself for reading that article. As mentioned in previous posts, he made no clear or persuasive points what-so-ever! Larry Bird is only iconic in Boston and Indiana... really? nevermind I give up......
    Hate, Hate, Hate
    I think Bird is popular in "France" too.

(Hick from French Lick)

But seriously, the second I read that I immediately thought about sitting down at my old Apple computer circa 1986 and playing one on one with Dr. J vs. Larry Bird. They actually sold a game with just TWO individuals playing one on one. That was the WHOLE game!!!

Quote Originally Posted by supadave View Post
    i think bird is popular in "france" too.

(hick from french lick)

but seriously, the second i read that i immediately thought about sitting down at my old apple computer circa 1986 and playing one on one with dr. J vs. Larry bird. They actually sold a game with just two individuals playing one on one. That was the whole game!!!
    that game was the bomb!!!!!

Reading this piece makes me wonder if the ignorance about Duke's relationship with race lies not with the outsider perception, but with the students who actually attend the university in question. There are some fundamentally wrong things with the piece.

Question

Kyrie Irving is BLACK???? Well, that changes everything!

Poor kid, life must suck for someone who cannot even enjoy signing a top recruit without looking for some deep dark, diabolical meaning.

The writing style reminds me of the "Johnny Rockets" story written by Steve Blake.
    http://web.archive.org/web/200212131.../project1.html

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    That is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in that rambling, incoherent article was there even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award the author no points, and may God have mercy on his soul.

Not me! See post 2 of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    Reading this piece makes me wonder if the ignorance about Duke's relationship with race lies not with the outsider perception, but with the students who actually attend the university in question. There are some fundamentally wrong things with the piece.
    It is disturbing that a student with the supposed intelligence required to get into Duke could be so ignorant (and write so poorly!).

It is unfathomable that the editors of the Chronicle would let such garbage get published!

The only point with a even a modicum of pertinence is that Duke's image will benefit from the addition of a high profile black player, particularly at point guard which will gain more attention, because of the perception we predominantly have white players. Why this point was even worth mentioning in the Chronicle is highly debatable.

The article is so laced with prejudice, and so poorly written that it is an embarrassment to the university and to its current and former students.

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    I've talked with many recent Duke students who've come from other regions of the country. What they say about Durham and the perceived dangers and unpleasantness in the city are so similar that I've wondered what the source is on campus.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    What they say about Durham and the perceived dangers and unpleasantness in the city are so similar that I've wondered what the source is on campus.
    I'm not so sure it's "perceived" dangers...when students regularly get mugged immediately off campus (or even INSIDE the Bryan center), that is probably a "source" of this perception.

That said, this article is still stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    I've talked with many recent Duke students who've come from other regions of the country. What they say about Durham and the perceived dangers and unpleasantness in the city are so similar that I've wondered what the source is on campus.
    Also in today's Chronicle...the Wachovia bank next to East Campus was robbed yesterday.

D'oh!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Also in today's Chronicle...the Wachovia bank next to East Campus was robbed yesterday.

D'oh!
    ...so many bank failure jokes to make here

I lived in Durham for over forty years. I'm not denying there are problems with violence. What I was referring to is ignorance of anything else about Durham.

Color Blind

My impression is that coach K is totally color blind and recruits the best players avaailable who can meet the academic standards. I believe all the recruits for next year are black so it seems quite a raandom occurence to me. My impression of the kids who come to Duke is that they are intelligent, good kids from good families and who are very good basketball players.

Keep up the good work coach K!

FWIW, the first two things Duke haters bring up is that the university is located in Durham and that the majority of the basketball players are white.

I have read on several sites that Duke won't be good because there are too many unathletic white players on the team (when in reality, the only two white guys who are unathletic are Zoubek and perhaps Kelly). Olek might not be a great player, but he is clearly a great athlete, and even suggesting that the Plumlees are not athletic makes me laugh, but then again Duke haters aren't always the most logical group.

While there are many points that are at best debatable, I agree with the writer of the column that Duke's national image will improve with a black star like Kyrie Irving. When Brand, McLeod, Langdon, and Avery were the stars at Duke, they didn't get nearly the same amount of hate as the Paulus/Redick teams. The lacrosse case also did point out just how much certain people in the larger Durham community genuinely resent Duke, but the way that the columnist equated that with Durham-based employees at Duke was tactless.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    that game was the bomb!!!!!
    Is that the game where you could break the backboard and the little janitor would come out and sweep up the pieces? That game was awesome.

I didn't read this article and refuse to based on the commentary here.

A learning moment for the writer of the article, hopefully.

People too often argue from the gut rather than from the head. This is clearly one of those instances, and his gut appears to need some filling with facts and figures.

As a person born and raised in Durham, then college in Greensboro, I can honestly say that I didn't know what REAL violence was until I moved to Houston, TX a week after graduation. The news had a TOTALLY different tone...

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    Is that the game where you could break the backboard and the little janitor would come out and sweep up the pieces? That game was awesome.

I didn't read this article and refuse to based on the commentary here.
    Yep!! That's the one! I forgot ALL about the rim breaking!! Yes - me and my cousins played for hours trying to break that rim... (then came "double dribble")