Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Racially Ignorant Op-Ed in Chronicle

I was hesitant to post this in the Elizabeth King Forum because I can see the discussion turning heated rather quickly.

How this guy draws a corellary between Duke fans and students being excited about getting the #2 PG in the nation and annointing him "The Great Black Hope" for Duke Basketball is beyond me and the fact that he is the ONLY person I've seen take this viewpoint yet closes the article with "One can only hope the media doesn't continue to cover this" is beyond me.

I didn't want to link it because I don't want to give this type of story any web traffic, but in order to facilitate discussion here it is:

http://dukechronicle.com/article/you-me-and-kyrie

After your description of the piece, I choose not to read it.

I did and wished I had not wasted my time doing so.

uhhh...this article makes no sense.

I've seen high school work that was better organized and more persuassive than this essay. His statement that "black citizens of Durham who work for the university often work as Subway chef's and bus drivers" shows his own stereotypes and not the reality (particularly withn Duke Health services).

That was painful to read. Who has the over/under on unwarranted assumptions?

What a moron. There aren't enough obscenities to fully describe the kind of moron that he is.

banal.

I'd say poorly edited except that it seems unlikely that anyone edited it at all.
    Last edited by johnb; 10-27-2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: .

I made it this far...

Bird’s popularity really only resonated in Massachusetts and Indiana...
    Then stopped...

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    I made it this far...

Then stopped...
    yah. that is when I started laughing.

I read the article....as a student here I'm appaled that someone can think the things he does. using a numerous number of metrics, it is inherently clear that race means nothing in terms of the basketball team...we recruit good players, we cheer for good players....I pointed this out on the chronicles board also, but this year the loudest cheers are for kyle and jon..last year it was G, the year before it was d-mark...they only thing they had in common was being phenomenal players....not race, not religion....nothing

The thing that really upsets me is the fact that all of the hurtful things said about Duke and its student body (portrayed to be a group of rich, pampered white racists) during the lacrosse case are only reinforced by this article. I wish I had a chance to inform all who read this that this in no way reflects the feelings of the Duke community and student body. Why it was allowed to be punlished is beyond me.

On edit: I'm all for freedom of speech, but I do think something should be done to discipline this student in some way, or at the very least, discourage him from writing such tasteless articles in the future.

i encourage all of you to make your thoughts known on the comments section of this article on the chronicle website

This article was incredibly disturbing to read, and I feel the writer should have done a little bit more reasearch on the subject before writing. We're excite because Irving is African-American?? There are 40+ pages on Kyrie's recruiting thread, and not once was his race mentioned. This program has been in desperate need of a highly touted PG, and now we have him. End of story.

I can't believe the editor let this be published

Ugly and foolish, but I can't come down too hard on the guy. College newspapers are a good place for young people to make journalistic mistakes like this. I knew everything, even when I was hopelessly wrong, when I was 19 too. I'll bet he catches enough grief to learn from this. And that is why a university exists.

Not making excuses for the writer of this piece, but I've heard from a lot of people that aren't Duke fans that "we've turned white" and that "coach K can't recruit black players" and that we won't win again at the level that we're accustomed to until we change that.

Now obviously I don't believe this at all (since I know how recruiting is hit or miss and therefore the racial composition of the team is variable), but it has been perpetuated in lay culture IMO to a great extent. I wouldn't be surprised if some of that "culture" is found in the current student body, and so maybe this writer is sort of just reflecting some of his Duke experience, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by CEF1959 View Post
    Ugly and foolish, but I can't come down too hard on the guy. College newspapers are a good place for young people to make journalistic mistakes like this. I knew everything, even when I was hopelessly wrong, when I was 19 too. I'll bet he catches enough grief to learn from this. And that is why a university exists.
    I'm actually on this side. Racism is massively uncool, but to be perfectly honest, when I was a kid, it took me until at least 18 to get right on Gay rights. What can I say, I grew up in rural GA, I had a bunch of prejudiced people around me all the time, and I hadn't really been exposed to other cultures. This kid just needs some time to grow up, and he'll probably be rather embarrassed by this column in 5 or 10 years.

If you're still reinforcing stereotypes about dangerous Black Durham when you're 35 or 40, there's nothing I can say in your favor. But as for this kid, give him some time to learn a lesson or two. Remember a few years ago there was an AfAm kid at Duke who wrote an anti-Semitic column in the paper. Huge uproar. Letters, the whole deal. I bet that guy has gotten right on that issue since then.
    Last edited by JBDuke; 10-28-2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: removed comment on the PPB

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Somebody remember to post the inevitable letter to the editor in response to this trash that is published

20. Quote Originally Posted by JaMarcus Russell View Post
    I am sure the UNC fans could care less about the racial make-up of the team.
    I'm not sure about that at all. Despite all the "Duke is Lilly White, UNC is Progressive" garbage out there, I've seen much more racism in Chapel Hill, including frequent use of "people from Durham" as not-very-subtle code for "scary black people."