Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Is there any truth to the rumor that Scheyer and Singler were similarly distant? If they were, it sure didn't hurt us.
    Clearly, they were close:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-uiDgNER6k

How interesting! Wonder if that lack of chemistry affected on-court performance at all. Remember, these years that so many colleges would have love to have had, are sometimes called the "down years."

I can't think it helped.

Is there any truth to the rumor that Scheyer and Singler were similarly distant? If they were, it sure didn't hurt us.
    Honestly, I don't think this is as strange as some might. I wasn't the best of friends with the top player on my high school team. We didn't have any problems with each other and we played well together, but we definitely weren't best of buddies off the court. I haven't talked to him since graduation as far as I can remember. Not much more to read into it.

As I found out the hard way, commenting on players' private relationships/life is a potential board violation. (and my post was fairly vague and about ex-dukie Taylor King and how he used to come to some of my frat's parties)

Just FYI

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    As I found out the hard way, commenting on players' private relationships/life is a potential board violation. (and my post was fairly vague and about ex-dukie Taylor King and how he used to come to some of my frat's parties)

Just FYI
    Yeah, it crossed my mind afterward that it could be construed as rumor mongering. I truly was curious, source is Duke-based but not sure if they had their own source or direct knowledge. Anyway, I would not mind a bit if the mods removed it. The JJ/Shel article made me wonderif it was true at all, but I think the poster above made an excellent point, that at least for JJ/Shel, it's potentially irrelevant. Not being close outside of BB does not mean you can't work well within the team concept. I suppose if you are close outside too, that's icing on the cake, but not necessary.

Shelden got some minutes late 2nd quarter in the Celtics game 2 win. His +/- was -4.

Weren't necessarily his best minutes on the court (a highlighted mistake at the end of the half throwing the ball away to Kobe, who responded with a 3-pointer), but good to see him get some play any how. I still think if he had more consistent minutes he could be a pretty solid contributor (like earlier this season).

Shelden's Play

I saw much of the 2nd Q and, based on the box score, ALL of Shelden's minutes. It was pretty unfortunate that he turned it over at the end of the half which led to a Kobe 3-pointer. No excuses ... but, perhaps it reflected his status and perspective. IIRC Allen signaled he was open and called for the ball. Shelden should have spotted Kobe nearby and found someone else ... but consider the pecking order of the team. Shelden might have subconsciously found it hard not to toss it to him.

He did a great job setting picks on Derek Fisher, sending him reeling at least a couple of times. One of those, sadly, led to the first 3-pt miss of the night for Ray Allen.

On the boards, though, I didn't understand why Shelden usually didn't jump for the ball. A couple of times, Rondo soared over him for a rebound or at least a tip. Shel seemed flat-footed out there, and I'm not sure why.

Then there was the time he had it on offense and appeared to get mugged. I didn't see a replay, though, so I can't be sure. I guess he was trying to draw a foul, so that's fine, but again, his status is such that he may not get the benefit of any doubt. In retrospect, better to go up strong right away.

Hopefully he can play better next time he's needed.

Hopefully he can play better next time he's needed.
    I hope so too, b/c there's not much way he could play with much less significance than he did in game 2, other than to not play at all, as was the case in game 1.
    Shelden's situation is frustrating to me, and probably to him too. He finally gets to play on a good team and makes it the NBA Finals, which has to be exhilarating. Then he finds himself at the end of the bench, behind players with bigger reps and paychecks but not necessarily better productivity. Despite playing well and earning praise from the coach and organization when other players were out with injury, he wasn't able to make the case that he should be relied on more when it counts. I'm not sure that Shelden could have found a better situation than he's in now in Boston and he still can't show his game off.
    Maybe he'll get a few more minutes and make some solid contributions when the series heads back to Boston.

While this is a Dukies in the NBA thread... I thought it would still be fitting to share this article:

http://dimemag.com/2010/06/carolina-...iever-factory/

A highlight quote:

"But the facts are right there: Twenty first-round picks from North carolina in the last 21 drafts, and only four of them reached an All-Star level in the League. And of those four, three of them (Vince, Rasheed, Antawn) have become infamous for underachieving given their amazing talent."

How many players from the Championship team do you think make it to the league? We think both Zoubek and Scheyer will get drafted this year, but who do you think beyond that?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRookieWall View Post
    How many players from the Championship team do you think make it to the league? We think both Zoubek and Scheyer will get drafted this year, but who do you think beyond that?
    Well, I doubt Zoubek gets drafted. And Scheyer is no guarantee to get drafted either (if he is drafted, it'll be in the second round).

It's possible that Scheyer sticks with a team this year, but it's no lock. I think he'll play some in the league. Zoubek is a much more borderline case.

I'd say that the more likely NBA regulars are still on the team (Singler, Smith, Mason). Scheyer will probably get a look, and Zoubek may get a look. I'd say Thomas is doubtful, and I'd say it's still too early to tell with Miles, Kelly, and Dawkins.

It could be as few as 3-4, and it could be as many as 7-8.

Talking Dukies in the NBA

Quote Originally Posted by TheRookieWall View Post
    First, I enjoyed reading your site. Also, props for the name and tag line -- of course, it took me ten minutes to get the sly reference: "The Rookie Wall: You know when you hit it." Ah, "hit it."

Six are obvious, at least to me: Kyle, Nolan, Mason, Andre, Kyrie, and Seth -- although I would like to see Kyrie play at least a minute or two at the college level before I project stardom and an NBA career. Andre has the shot, some moves, and the size to play shooting guard. Seth Curry has the bloodlines, and I expect him to be a star at Duke and a presence in the league.

The case for Miles is tenacity, strength, some offense, and a lot of hustle. I look forward to seeing his development next year.

No call from me on Ryan, Josh Hairston, or Tyler Thornton. I expect Ryan Kelly to be the #1 surprise for Duke this year, but lets let it happen first.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    First, I enjoyed reading your site. Also, props for the name and tag line -- of course, it took me ten minutes to get the sly reference: "The Rookie Wall: You know when you hit it." Ah, "hit it."

Six are obvious, at least to me: Kyle, Nolan, Mason, Andre, Kyrie, and Seth -- although I would like to see Kyrie play at least a minute or two at the college level before I project stardom and an NBA career. Andre has the shot, some moves, and the size to play shooting guard. Seth Curry has the bloodlines, and I expect him to be a star at Duke and a presence in the league.

The case for Miles is tenacity, strength, some offense, and a lot of hustle. I look forward to seeing his development next year.

No call from me on Ryan, Josh Hairston, or Tyler Thornton. I expect Ryan Kelly to be the #1 surprise for Duke this year, but lets let it happen first.

sagegrouse
    Note that the previous poster asked the following question: "How many players from the Championship team do you think make it to the league?"

That immediately excludes Irving (as well as Hairston and Thornton). And depending on whether or not you define "players" as meaning "individuals who played on the championship team," that would exclude Curry as well. So you could be down to four "obvious" choices.

I don't think Seth Curry qualifies as a member of the 2010 title team any more than Dahntay Jones qualified as a member of the 2001 title team.

In other words, not at all. He's got three more chances, however.

FWIW, several Duke teams have included six future NBA players. That's the ceiling, so far, at least. That is why 7-8 seems like a reach. I see how some think Andre Dawkins is a lock based on our perception of how he might develop over the years.

But will he really be a better college player than Tommy Amaker, Kevin Strickland, Phil Henderson, Thomas Hill, Billy McCaffrey, Chris Collins, Jeff Capel, or Chris Carrawell, none of whom played a second in the NBA? We aren't even sure Scheyer will even get drafted and this is off a spectacular senior season.

Lots of 6'4" shooting guards.

Same thing with Miles Plumlee. A long way to go before he's an NBA player.

Please don't interpret this is as a dis of Dawkins or Plumlee but rather a recognition of how difficult it is to actually make it in the NBA. I think we tend to forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I don't think Seth Curry qualifies as a member of the 2010 title team any more than Dahntay Jones qualified as a member of the 2001 title team.

In other words, not at all. He's got three more chances, however.
    Not to be rude, but I whole heartedly disagree. Dahntay and Seth were both big influences in practice. Without putting a lot of thought into it, I doubt we faced a shooter all year like Seth. So if we face Seth every practice, imagine how we could handle a player like him in a real game (Shelvin Mack from Butler comes to mind).

I credit Dahntay and Seth with the '01 and '10 titles respectively. I would think it's a group consensus as well

Both Dahntay and Seth made significant contributions to the 2001 and 2010 NCAA champions. But the point under discussion is how many players from a particular team did/will play in the NBA. Inasmuch as neither actually played a second of official basketball in those years, they don't count for the purpose of the discussion.

My opinion of course. I wouldn't presume to know the consensus of the group.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Both Dahntay and Seth made significant contributions to the 2001 and 2010 NCAA champions. But the point under discussion is how many players from a particular team did/will play in the NBA. Inasmuch as neither actually played a second of official basketball in those years, they don't count for the purpose of the discussion.

My opinion of course. I wouldn't presume to know the consensus of the group.
    I would presume, based partly on MOTM polls and various discussion threads, that there is very little group consensus.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Note that the previous poster asked the following question: "How many players from the Championship team do you think make it to the league?"
    You're forgetting that the team is GUARANTEED to repeat as champions this year, so he was really talking about this year's team too. And also next year's team, and the team after that...

Wink Extra Credit?

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

That immediately excludes Irving (as well as Hairston and Thornton). And depending on whether or not you define "players" as meaning "individuals who played on the championship team," that would exclude Curry as well. So you could be down to four "obvious" choices.
    Don't I get extra credit instead of demerits for going beyond the original assignment. No? Well, I guess things haven't changed much since I was in school.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Don't I get extra credit instead of demerits for going beyond the original assignment. No? Well, I guess things haven't changed much since I was in school.

sagegrouse
    Extra credit only comes into play if you answer the actual question asked first.

seems to me that the idea of "who from the championship team will be in the NBA" should maybe get its own thread.
    At any rate, from the '10 team, Singler is probably the most likely "lock" for the NBA, with Nolan at #2, based on what we've actually seen. Jon seems like a pretty likely choice, but good players like Chris Carawell have been drafted and never played, so he's not a "lock". Z also seems like he's got some things that teams might want to give a try, like being 7 ft tall and a pretty good O rebounder and passer. LT is already getting a try-out from the Nets, so he at least has to be under consideration. Based on potential, it seems like Mason is most likely on the radar of some teams. So I think that those 5 guys have pretty conclusively shown that they are either NBA-caliber players or at least of interest to some clubs already.
    As for potential: if Mason is on the radar then it seems that Miles ought to be able to move himself into that position, as he very physically gifted. He definitely needs to open some eyes in a serious way this year if he's gonna get a more serious look. Gonna happen? Maybe, maybe not.
    Andre seems to be in the same gray area as Miles, he just needs to get more exposure, and with that exposure prove something, cuz he hasn't proven much yet. He's got a sweet shot and enough athleticism to go with his 6'4 frame to potentially be a suitable 2G in the league. Gonna happen? Once again, maybe, maybe not.
    Ryan Kelly? He hasn't shown much yet, but who knows. He's probably the least likely of the "potential"-based guys to get there.