Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Barnes/Lewis did screw up that play on D, but JJ did get burned by Pierce one play earlier for a dunk (he may have been tired, having played like 15 straight minutes or something and chasing Ray Allen through screens most of that time).
    JJ needed help on that play but it was slow arriving. Even the folks on Sportscenter said so. An old fart like Pierce shouldn't be able to get into the lane for a dunk against Howard's team. Pierce is pretty darn impressive, though.

JJ otherwise played very solid D and that one play isn't an indictment at all. Just a surprisingly quick move from Pierce. Meanwhile, Lewis and Barnes consistently got beat.

And then also, Barnes looked incredulous that Lewis didn't get back to cover his man, Allen. He had Garnett bodied up at 20 feet though!

www.yahoo.com has an article up right now titled "Players holding NBA team back." Guess who's picture is featured....

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    www.yahoo.com has an article up right now titled "Players holding NBA team back." Guess who's picture is featured....
    Link?
    Trinity '09

Im surprised no one is talking about the win by Grant Hill and the Suns over the LA Lakers last night. Grant was fairly pedestrian on the stat sheet: 8pts 4rbs. As usual he played solid D.

WHat was impressive about the Suns last night was the bench contribution. Everyone who played had at least 6 points, and all but 4 were in double figures. THey played zone a lot, and the Lakers just couldnt crack the D. The end of the game Odom and Artest were bricking open 3s.

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    Im surprised no one is talking about the win by Grant Hill and the Suns over the LA Lakers last night. Grant was fairly pedestrian on the stat sheet: 8pts 4rbs. As usual he played solid D.

WHat was impressive about the Suns last night was the bench contribution. Everyone who played had at least 6 points, and all but 4 were in double figures. THey played zone a lot, and the Lakers just couldnt crack the D. The end of the game Odom and Artest were bricking open 3s.
    Didn't get to see the game, but saw that grant only played 20mins. The Suns bench has been the best bench all playoffs. Dudley is emerging as a very good player and one of the best 3 point shooters in the NBA. He also defends well having played against Manu last series and Kobe this series. The suns got a steal in only paying him 3.5 million dollars over this season and next.

Frye also has seemed to find a great niche, though he has struggled this series. A 7footer who can also compete in the 3 point contest, well they dont come around very often.

And Dragic finally seems to be the answer to backing up Nash that the suns have been looking for for years.

I don't know if the Suns can win the series, but Gentry is doing a great job with this squad -- the switch to zone has worked remarkably well -- and they clearly have great chemistry, which can go a long ways. Now that they have Lopez back they finally have the requisite size to compete with the Lakers, so this thing could certainly go 7...

Didn't get to see the game, but saw that grant only played 20mins. The Suns bench has been the best bench all playoffs. Dudley is emerging as a very good player and one of the best 3 point shooters in the NBA. He also defends well having played against Manu last series and Kobe this series. The suns got a steal in only paying him 3.5 million dollars over this season and next.

Frye also has seemed to find a great niche, though he has struggled this series. A 7footer who can also compete in the 3 point contest, well they dont come around very often.

And Dragic finally seems to be the answer to backing up Nash that the suns have been looking for for years.

I don't know if the Suns can win the series, but Gentry is doing a great job with this squad -- the switch to zone has worked remarkably well -- and they clearly have great chemistry, which can go a long ways. Now that they have Lopez back they finally have the requisite size to compete with the Lakers, so this thing could certainly go 7...
    Oh I dont know about 7-foot 3pt shooters. I think when you look at a lot of the European big men, that is actually a skill many of them have. Look at Bargnani or Gallinari...or for an older player, look at Mehmet Okur, Dirk Nowitzki.

That said, I think Robin Lopez is as important as any of the zone schemes. He didn't score like he did in the last game, but he makes an enormous difference in the way the game is played by freeing up Amar'e. Amar'e gets to play weak side defense, which when combined with the zone, really protects Stoudemire from Gasol's abuse. It gives them an extra layer of defense and extra big man fouls to shore up Amar'e's (?? lol) swiss-cheese defense.

The extra help down low allows the big men to spend more energy on the offensive boards and pounding the ball inside.
    Last edited by theAlaskanBear; 05-26-2010 at 12:58 PM. Reason: grammar

Watched most of the Phoenix--Lakers game last night and was very impressed with some of the things the Suns are doing. They got a huge shot of energy (and offense) from their bench; I really like the way Gentry is not afraid to break his normal substitution pattern----the bench guys were hot, and he rode their performance last night, even though it meant fewer minutes for Grant, Amare, and Nash.

A Lakers win was assumed early in the series, but it's no certainty at all now. In contrast to the Suns last night, the Lakers are not getting great production from their bench. I don't know what else you could ask Kobe to do---he had 38 points last night on 15-22 FG including 6-9 3-pt, 7 rebounds, and 10 assists. Was pretty much unstoppable but Phoenix still held the upper hand.

NBA playoff ball is just so much better than regular season games IMO. I'm hooked for the remainder, esp. if Grant can get to the finals.

Oh I dont know about 7-foot 3pt shooters. I think when you look at a lot of the European big men, that is actually a skill many of them have. Look at Bargnani or Gallinari...or for an older player, look at Mehmet Okur, Dirk Nowitzki.
    What don't you know about them? There's a few, but its not like they grow on trees. They are highly coveted. Of the guys you mentioned:

Nowitzki was MVP, a perennial allstar, and probably the 3rd or 4th most coveted free agent this year (Lebron, Wade and then maybe him or Bosh).

Bargnani was a #1 draft pick

Gallinari is 6'10, not 7 feet, 1st of all, but he was the #6 pick overall...(and there are other 6'10 Forward types who can shoot: Turkoglu, Odom, Rashard Lewis...and look at the size of their contracts...)

Okur will make $20 million over the next two years and made $9mm this past year...

What don't you know about them? There's a few, but its not like they grow on trees. They are highly coveted. Of the guys you mentioned:

Nowitzki was MVP, a perennial allstar, and probably the 3rd or 4th most coveted free agent this year (Lebron, Wade and then maybe him or Bosh).

Bargnani was a #1 draft pick

Gallinari is 6'10, not 7 feet, 1st of all, but he was the #6 pick overall...(and there are other 6'10 Forward types who can shoot: Turkoglu, Odom, Rashard Lewis...and look at the size of their contracts...)

Okur will make $20 million over the next two years and made $9mm this past year...
    First of all, Channing Frye is only listed at 6'11, so you are right when you say 7-footers are rare: there is only one who qualifies for the 3-pt crown. I went through and found everyone 6'10+ who hit at least one 3 a game. Generally speaking, you are correct. Notice Dirk and Odom did not qualify.

Center position: Four players averaged more than one three a game.
    -Channing Frye 6'11
    -Andrea Bargnani 7'0
    -Matt Bonner 6'10
    -Mehmet Okur 6'11

Forward position: Nine players averaged over one three a game.
    -Rashard Lewis 6'10
    -Danilo Galinari 6'10
    -Peja Stojakovic 6'10
    -Troy Murphy 6'11
    -Hedo Turkoglu 6'10
    -Charlie Villanueva 6'11
    -Ryan Anderson 6'10
    -Rasheed Wallace 6'11
    -Ersan Ilyasova 6'10

There were 119 NBA players who avg'd 1.0+ 3 pointers per game.

Generally speaking, you are correct.
    Glad we got that straight

JJ with another great game. 14 points on 6 shots in 20 minutes including a 28-30 footer as the shot clock expired in the first half. Wasn't a heave though, just a great form, deep 3.

VC: 8 points on 9 shots, what a bum.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I guess I think JJ gets 6 years and $35 million from someone. JJ is a very good player, who has an NBA body and really understands the game.
    JJ is certainly playing his way towards a contract of this size with his performance in this series. I am starting to think more and more you may be right...but why would I have ever doubted you

JJ with the best +/- of the night at +18. His +/- numbers are awesome, and I don't think its a fluke.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    JJ with the best +/- of the night at +18. His +/- numbers are awesome, and I don't think its a fluke.
    A magic SG playing defense ANNNDDD offense!?!

Shelden's gonna get his chance the next game. Looks like at least one or two of Baby, Perk, or 'Sheed will be out, so Shelden will get plenty of minutes. He actually hasn't played that bad when he's in, but he just isn't an impact player; he just kind of blends in, does rebounding, defense, and sets screens and picks. However, now he'll have to score too, which I don't know if he can do, although if Rashard Lewis is on him, he might be able to. The C's are in big trouble; they could be the first team ever to blow a 3-0 lead, and I think they're just about to panic.

1 one of Perkins' technicals has officially been rescinded.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba...ory?id=5225994

Glad they did it, that 2nd one was ridiculous and the 1st was soft as well. Even though I'm rooting for the Magic I never want to see a game/series/whatever determined by refs with quick whistles.

As they say, its about the players so let them play.

I will say this about the refs: there was a LOT of complaining last night and a lot of physicality. While I thought they're technical officiating (I by that I mean ability to correctly call fouls, travels, etc.) was sub-par, I actually thought their ability to try and get control of the game and keep it from getting too physical was OK...or at least I understood why they called some "borderline" fouls in order to keep things from getting out of hand. There were a couple time when Sheed was throwing a forearm or 'bow into Howards back while he posted up and they called it, and I could understand why even if it wasn't an egregious foul.

Also, the league upgraded Pierce's foul on JJ to a flagrant 1 (remember when JJ gave pierce a dose of his own medicine with the nice pump fake and then Pierce shoved him after the foul). This is also a correct move from a consistency perspective given where the league has come down on these types of fouls before.

Personally, I think the league has gone soft recently, and so do a lot of people. Shoving a jumpshooter in the playoffs, not maliciously, just a shove, is a flagrant foul? 15 years ago you had to see blood to even think about a flagrant, but oh well. Stern and his image thing I guess.

I did not feel bad for Perkins whatsoever on that second T. NBA players are getting out of hand. Literally every single call last night was met with yelling, glaring, demonstrative gestures, or a combination of the three. That's not okay, and it shouldn't be. Players need to give referees SOME semblence of respect in the NBA... these guys are supposed to be role models for younger players. It's not their "right" to stomp around, wave their arms, and make a scene like Perkins did... I couldn't believe how up in arms the media was about that.

And the worst part is that most of the time they're just blatantly wrong and making themselves look like idiots. Nelson, for example, could not have been more clearly outside of the circle when he took the charge on Rondo. Yet Rondo pestered the refs after the play, during the time out, and took a parting shot after he was given his last warning. He acted like an maroon, and he (like Perkins) got what he deserved, IMO. The refs are humans too, I don't blame them for being at their wit's end.

I will say that I agree with your comments on physicality below. If anything, Perkins' first technical should have gotten rescinded, because it didn't even look like he intentionally elbowed Gortat. It's a man's game, and I don't have a problem with some banging... but the acting like spoiled brats gets on my nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    I did not feel bad for Perkins whatsoever on that second T. NBA players are getting out of hand. Literally every single call last night was met with yelling, glaring, demonstrative gestures, or a combination of the three. That's not okay, and it shouldn't be. Players need to give referees SOME semblence of respect in the NBA... these guys are supposed to be role models for younger players. It's not their "right" to stomp around, wave their arms, and make a scene like Perkins did... I couldn't believe how up in arms the media was about that.

And the worst part is that most of the time they're just blatantly wrong and making themselves look like idiots. Nelson, for example, could not have been more clearly outside of the circle when he took the charge on Rondo. Yet Rondo pestered the refs after the play, during the time out, and took a parting shot after he was given his last warning. He acted like an maroon, and he (like Perkins) got what he deserved, IMO. The refs are humans too, I don't blame them for being at their wit's end.

I will say that I agree with your comments on physicality below. If anything, Perkins' first technical should have gotten rescinded, because it didn't even look like he intentionally elbowed Gortat. It's a man's game, and I don't have a problem with some banging... but the acting like spoiled brats gets on my nerves.
    I pretty much agree with everything you said, including the part about the first T on perkins. This part I think is what explains the 2nd T:

"The refs are humans too, I don't blame them for being at their wit's end."

So the 2nd T was basically the straw that broke the refs' back. Too much complaining, too many demonstrative gestures, too much "showing up referees;" heck even JJ was doing some.

But there is a good reason to be up in arms about it: as we both noted, everyone was doing it and was doing it all the time. So to all of a sudden call a T on a guy who did it while walking away and not yelling at you, and who also already had a 1st technical is a poor decision. Why him? Well it was to make a point, but that was the wrong guy and the wrong time.

I agreed with JVG, if I had gotten to the scorer's table and realized I was ejecting a guy for that I would have swallowed my pride and rescinded it. A borderline call like that which throws a starter out of the game is just too big a deal. It can change the whole game and potentially series.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post

Totally agree... it's also detracting by taking time away from what's more important, playing the game.

I think the second T was legit because I recall watching Grant Hill, of all people, get hit with a similar technical against the Lakers when he reacted to a call by swiping his arm in the air in disgust. That must be the universal sign for -- That call was b*llsh*t, ref! And let's face it, if an ambassador of the game like G gets hit with a technical, certainly that's grounds for expulsion if any other player does it .

I agreed with JVG, if I had gotten to the scorer's table and realized I was ejecting a guy for that I would have swallowed my pride and rescinded it. A borderline call like that which throws a starter out of the game is just too big a deal. It can change the whole game and potentially series.
    Pretty sure the ref can't do that, it's not a matter of pride.