Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
    JJ caught in a bad spot there. Bad play.

and redick kinda blows the rebound. ugh. dang.

I think this series is over. Very tough to win in Boston. Hate it. Gonna be Celtics / Lakers again.

Magic are just a couple of plays inferior. They were never in control in two games on their home floor. Celtics are just a slightly better team.

dukemsu

Unbelievable. JJ makes a bad play, dribbling the ball before calling timeout, doesnt allow them to advance the ball, Jameer Nelson has to throw up a prayer of a shot.

I don't think anyone expected, even as well as they've played, for the celtics to take two on the road against Orlando. I'm not gonna call the series over, but they've got some work cut out for them.

Overall I think JJ played really well, would really like to see him play good minutes throughout the series. He defends Allen well, and seems to be the only one willing to drive and dish. Usually plays pretty smart.
    Trinity '09

On the bright side

JJ finished the game with a plus/minus of +5 (according to ESPN), the highest on the Magic. They were winning when he was out there. He also played some great defense and helped hold Ray Allen to 4 points.

At least Duke won the championship this year...

big mental error by J.J. at the end. But Jameer Nelson didn't help, he could have and should have passed, instead he took a terrible shot.

Quote Originally Posted by WordLife565 View Post
    big mental error by J.J. at the end. But Jameer Nelson didn't help, he could have and should have passed, instead he took a terrible shot.
    You know, as big an error as the announcers made it seem, in his post-game interview Doc said JJ put it on the floor because he thought he was going to be fouled by Tony Allen (and that Allen was told to foul Redick but didn't manage to). JJ only called the timeout when he had to. I don't think it was so much a mental error as it was an unfortunate situation that ended up setting the Magic up for a bad shot at the end. Was it only me, or should there have been more time on the clock at the end, say 5 seconds or so?

Quote Originally Posted by whirlieduke4 View Post
    You know, as big an error as the announcers made it seem, in his post-game interview Doc said JJ put it on the floor because he thought he was going to be fouled by Tony Allen (and that Allen was told to foul Redick but didn't manage to). JJ only called the timeout when he had to. I don't think it was so much a mental error as it was an unfortunate situation that ended up setting the Magic up for a bad shot at the end. Was it only me, or should there have been more time on the clock at the end, say 5 seconds or so?
    yeah at least one extra second. JJ wasn't looking at the official closest to him and that official didn't seem to see his hands making the sign. and, jj's hands seemed to flop around a little bit instead of making a crisp TO sign. But still, i think there was plenty of evidence to add one more second to the clock. I feel like that's a second Coach K could have willed back onto the clock with some feisty-ness.

Nelson did have a wide open pass to make and just threw it up. I feel like a lot of the magic teams plays in kind of a selfish manner. JJ is the exception. Could one NBA team please field a team where the players play well together as a team and also match up well against someone like the lakers? I think it's impossible. The Suns play well but it's still not super pretty team bball.

Maybe be a mental error and maybe not, I think it's debatable. What isn't debatable is that the Magic shot 39% from the floor including 13-42 by the starters excluding Dwight.

It's tough to shoot like that and win, for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    Maybe be a mental error and maybe not, I think it's debatable. What isn't debatable is that the Magic shot 39% from the floor including 13-42 by the starters excluding Dwight.

It's tough to shoot like that and win, for anyone.
    Ain't that the truth? The environment was electric though, tonight, and it was really a fun game to watch, especially with JJ getting plenty of PT. I just have to echo what others are saying, there HAS to be a team that could actually use JJ and let him develop into a solid NBA 2 (not that he isn't already, but I'm talking about starting caliber). Maybe he'll never be starter good, but based on what I saw tonight-and how he's progressed since he first came into the league-JJ has that potential, and he's just not getting the time in Orlando. I don't follow the NBA enough to know, anybody know of a team that could use someone like JJ for what he is (a phenomenal shooter, heady guard, and defensive stopper)?

And just to add on, maybe Orlando is the place for him? I've not watched them play too much, but I just get the feeling he's going to be stuck behind VC. If it is then enlighten me as to why, but I'm sick of watching Vincible take on the entire Celtics squad.

Quote Originally Posted by ElSid View Post
    Could one NBA team please field a team where the players play well together as a team and also match up well against someone like the lakers? I think it's impossible. The Suns play well but it's still not super pretty team bball.
    Um, have you seen the Celtics play in this postseason? Their team defense is the best in the league at this point, it's the main reason why Cleveland looked so bad in the games they lost and why Orlando is shooting such a poor percentage. Plus, on the offensive end, they have 4 good scoring options in Rondo, Ray Allen, Pierce, and KG. I hate to look ahead to a matchup against the Lakers, but the Lakers would match up better than they did in 2008 against the Celtics because Bynum is more of a factor down low and Artest can guard Pierce. However, the Lakers would have serious problems trying to guard Rondo, who is playing on an entirely different level than he was in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by arydolphin View Post
    Um, have you seen the Celtics play in this postseason? Their team defense is the best in the league at this point, it's the main reason why Cleveland looked so bad in the games they lost and why Orlando is shooting such a poor percentage. Plus, on the offensive end, they have 4 good scoring options in Rondo, Ray Allen, Pierce, and KG. I hate to look ahead to a matchup against the Lakers, but the Lakers would match up better than they did in 2008 against the Celtics because Bynum is more of a factor down low and Artest can guard Pierce. However, the Lakers would have serious problems trying to guard Rondo, who is playing on an entirely different level than he was in 2008.
    Rephrase: Will a team that I want to root for please step up and play some pretty team ball? I wish I could like the Celts.

Celts could still match up well. Rondo wasn't playing at this level in 2008. He was good, but he's starting to look like he's the best player out there fairly often.

I wish Skiles was still coaching the Bulls and they actually got some good offensive players and ran an offense.

Ain't that the truth? The environment was electric though, tonight, and it was really a fun game to watch, especially with JJ getting plenty of PT. I just have to echo what others are saying, there HAS to be a team that could actually use JJ and let him develop into a solid NBA 2 (not that he isn't already, but I'm talking about starting caliber). Maybe he'll never be starter good, but based on what I saw tonight-and how he's progressed since he first came into the league-JJ has that potential, and he's just not getting the time in Orlando. I don't follow the NBA enough to know, anybody know of a team that could use someone like JJ for what he is (a phenomenal shooter, heady guard, and defensive stopper)?

And just to add on, maybe Orlando is the place for him? I've not watched them play too much, but I just get the feeling he's going to be stuck behind VC. If it is then enlighten me as to why, but I'm sick of watching Vincible take on the entire Celtics squad.
    JJ was in SVG's doghouse early in his career in Orlando, but actually got some good playing time in last year's playoffs when other guys were hurt. However, there was no way that he was going to start over Vince this year, but it is interesting that SVG has chosen to play JJ and Vince in a 3-guard lineup at the end of both games in this series.

As for next year, I'll preface what I'm about to say by noting that I live in the Boston area and am a fan of the Celtics. Ray Allen is in the last year of his contract, and probably won't be back with the Celtics unless he takes a big pay cut because Rondo's salary goes way up next year because he signed a new contract this season. If the Celtics choose to bring everyone else back except for Allen (it's in doubt because Pierce can also opt out of his contract and become a free agent, although that would be surprising), Boston could be a fit for JJ because he would come at a lower salary than Ray Allen would probably want...but only if the Celtics feel that he could play 30-35 minutes in a game, which would be a huge jump from his minutes now. I've heard absolutely nothing up here suggesting that JJ could come to the Celtics, but there has been a lot of talk about whether the big 3 will be together past this year due to Allen's contract status.

Why in the BLEEP! does Van Gundy continue to draw plays with JJ in bounding the ball, knowing full well that if Jameer gets it, all he's going to do is chuck the rock from anywhere? Jameer would shoot it from the beer garden if he got a pass there and someone was wide open under the net. Dude's A Button must be stuck (4 - 12 shooting). JJ made a minor error on the timeout after advancing the ball, but he was thinking of pushing the court and shooting. I wish he would have. I really hope JJ can get placed on a passing team like the Spurs or Suns and have a coach that proactively looks for him to contribute consistently throughout the season and not just stand in the corner getting crumbs. I get the sense that JJ is so concerned about limiting mistakes that he doesn't get the coach's green light. It's as if the Stand told JJ -- you can play as long as you don't ever screw up. In the post game, SVG threw JJ under the bus saying the timeout blew it for them. They still had 3.5 seconds left! Heck, Tyus Edney drove the entire court in 4.8 seconds to beat Mizzu in '95! And if Stan had any persuasiveness he would have brow beat the refs into an extra second or more. Even with only 3.5 seconds, why can't he as a coach adapt and call a decent play or at least tell Jameer -- "hey, Jameer you also have the choice NOT to shoot -- it's called a PASS." I don't even care about the Magic, I'm just tired of JJ being coached by an inferior coach on a selfish team and then turned into a speed bump on Blame Game Avenue. How about the genius idea putting in a cold Vince Carter who then clanks two free throws, Stan? Nice coaching, pal.

Everyone Magic player / coach screwed up in that last minute: VC for missing the call, JJ for not calling time out, SVG for having JJ inbound the play when he is one of the better 3pt shooters on the team, JN for that terrible last second shot, etc.

Yup - Magic are definitely done. Going to be really really tough to win in Boston.

Oh well
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by CrazieDUMB View Post
    I'm not gonna call the series over, but they've got some work cut out for them.
    i'll do that...

it's ovah!!

AZLA - Amen to every bit of your post!!! You're spot on with that analysis. Listening to Stan throw JJ under the bus in the post game presser was the final straw for me. Anyone that thinks JJ will ever get a truly fair shot under this guy is smoking something illegal (or possibly legal in some areas for "medicinal purposes" - LOL).

In no way, shape or form can I see JJ ever getting an even-handed, fair deal in Orlando under SVG. It's just not gonna happen. As has been pointed out by many posters, the Magic had plenty of blame to go around but Stan decided to really single JJ out there. What a jerk he is. First off, he should take plenty of blame for not lobbying to get at least another second on the clock. That was a huge mistake on his part. Secondly, he could have thrown Nelson under the bus (but of course he'd never do that to his precious PG) for not finding a wide open Carter and instead choosing to hoist up an ugly 3. Heck, if you are bound and determined to shoot it Mr. Nelson then at least get another dribble in and square up more. He shot that ugly duck with at least 1 to 1.5 seconds left on the clock. He's got to be more aware than that.

And, as others have stated, why have JJ throwing the ball in when there's virtually no way he's going to get to a spot in time to receive a pass back and get a shot off? Why take one of your weapons out of the play like that, Stan? Oh, that's right. Because you knew once the ball was in Jameer's hands, or Carter's hands, there would be no pass off regardless. Those two, along with Dwight and Pietrus, do not play team ball as far as I'm concerned. JJ is open on multiple occasions in every game he plays and these guys pass him up more often than not. I've seen this go on for years and I'm convinced it will never change. JJ could easily average 12 to 15 PPG in the regular season on just 20 minutes per if his teammates would look for him just a little bit.

And I took note of the Sportscenter hightlights after the game and as soon as I heard Stewart Scott's voice I groaned. I'd have bet my house that he'd specifically mentioned JJ's "poor choice" in dribbling before calling TO and sure enough, he didn't disappoint. He couldn't wait to bring that one up, yet not one hightlight showed any of the fine playes JJ had all night. And of course he didn't mention JJ's solid play either. What a Tar Heel he is. I get so tired of it. Between him and Jonathan Coachman, ESPN is guaranteed to keep the Duke ripping for many years to come.

I'm not quite ready to say the series is over, if for no other reason than the fact that this year the Celtics haven't really played any better at home than on the road. In fact sometimes they've seemingly played worse. So this one isn't quite over yet as far as I'm concerned.

And Paul Pierce, dumb move tweeting right after the game about getting out the broom. You never want to give your opponent that kind of bulliten board material.

Speaking of Dukies in the NBA and with respect to the Manute Bol article on the front page...I thought I remember Luol Deng saying how big of an influence Manute was on Luol's progression as a basketball player. This surprisingly doesn't get mention in the article.

Manute paved the way for so many athletes. Overall great guy.