Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Wink 59 Points?

Quote Originally Posted by stillcrazie View Post
    Celtics 92 Bobcats 59

59 points in 48 minute game? With a 24 second shot clock? That equates to 49 points in a college-length game.

Larry and Michael sure have the Bobcats humming on all cylinders.

sagegrouse

In two games with the Celts, SHelden has hit 12/15 FTs. He's getting to the line at an amazing rate for someone who has very little offensive game. I hope he keeps it up!!

Grant Hill also had a great game with 13rbs and 19pts

Yeah, I watched him again some last night. I think he's starting to get his role figured out there. The C's have lots of guys who can score, so Shelden doesn' t
    have to shoot at all; just shoot put backs and hit free throws when he's fouled. If he can just do that, along with rebounding and defense, he'll be a contributor, because that's all they need.

To Duke lifer:

Sorry about the misspelling. Shows you how little ink he's gotten lately; I forgot how to spell his name.

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    Last year I wrote a script that scrapes the Dukies in the NBA from ESPN's Daily Leader page. It still seems to work ok, although I can't guarantee uptime. It's nothing fancy, so don't get your hopes up! I was short on time and threw it together because it was taking too long to find all of our guys' stats.

Feel free to bookmark it here: http://huckleberry.mhc.edu/devilStats.html

Last year's pages can be found: http://huckleberry.mhc.edu/devilStats/2008_2009

As long as my IT admin doesn't start complaining about bw issues, I'll be glad to host.

--grad_devil
    Very cool. Thanks.

Day 2

Aside from an excellent game from Shelden, a solid game from JJ and a very nice game from Grant, it was a horrible day in the NBA for fomer Dukies. Battier has been terrible in his 2 games, Brand seems like he is not going to be the All-star that he was, Magette was off, neither McRoberts or Shav got in their respective games, Duhon was terrible, G had a mediocre debut etc. Luol has yet to play.
    It´s a small sample size, but our alums have had a collectively blah inauguration to the season.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Aside from an excellent game from Shelden, a solid game from JJ and a very nice game from Grant, it was a horrible day in the NBA for fomer Dukies. Battier has been terrible in his 2 games, Brand seems like he is not going to be the All-star that he was, Magette was off, neither McRoberts or Shav got in their respective games, Duhon was terrible, G had a mediocre debut etc. Luol has yet to play.
    It´s a small sample size, but our alums have had a collectively blah inauguration to the season.
    Dahntay Jones had 17 pts. last night and played very well. He was taking the ball strong to the rim and finishing. It seems like he might be given more offensive freedom that what he did with the Nuggets.

Gerald actually did pretty well I thought. Eight points in his first game as a rookie in 25 minutes. Not bad. His team, overall, was absolutely horrendous though. Unless they have something up their sleeve that I don't know about, the Bobcats should be the worst team in the NBA this year. They have zero high-level NBA talent right now (guys that could compete for the All-Star team).

Battier

I didn't watch any of the games, but I agree with the other poster that it doesn't sound like G had that bad a debut. Did Battier really play that poorly? His stats weren't that unusual and they lost to a stacked Portland team in Portland and won the game against Golden State on the road.

I think you judge a little too harshly. Boozer and Brand aren't up to their high standards yet, that's true. Neither is Corey. But they're veterans who will be given their chance to get things worked out and I'm sure they will. It's nice to see JJ get some PT and do well from day 1 this season. Also, Gerald did about as well as could be expected when your team, as a whole, plays as terribly as the Bobcats did. It was a blowout, of course, but still nice to Shelden take advantage of his chance at more playing time, as well. As for Shav and McRoberts, neither one was projected to play every game, anyway.

And Luol had a nice debut tonight, netting 17 on 8-13 shooting and 9 boards in a win over the Spurs. He was the Bull's leading scorer.

How are you judging Battier's play? Did you watch the game? It is well known that his role is not to be a big stat guy... unless you are talking defensive stats or the stats of the guy he is guarding. He had 3 steals and 2 blocked shots in the game, which is not bad.

--Jason "Houston values Shane extremely highly. That franchise knows what it has in him" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

calma

I read the stats wrong on Dhantay´s game, and yes he had one his better games in the NBA, sorry Dhantay.
    Gerald had 8 points on 3-7 shooting. In the world of the NBA that´s a mediocre game, neither good nor bad. Relative to the rest of his team it was actually a decent game.
    I mentioned Brand in that light b/c of the fact that in the few games he played last year he didn´t shoot very well and then missed most of the year with injuries. It´s just hard coming back from Achilles ruptures. Christian Laettner started his career very well, nearly an All-Star, and then injured his achilles and was a serviceable NBA PF for a few years after.
    Battier is shooting 3-13 for the year (2 games), that´s bad. His intangibles, rebounding etc. are probably about the same as ever. I love the fact that Shane gets love despite not putting stats that people drool over.
    As i said to start with, it´s a small sample size, i was just commenting that amongst former Duke players, only 4 of them had games that were commendable in the first game of the year.
    Just a small nugget to chew on: Shelden arugably had a better game than Keven Garnett; 12pts vs 10, 9 rebs vs. 7, 3 asts vs 1 but 1 block vs 3 and Shelden played 22 minutes vs 26 for KG. Of course Shelden was the only player on the team with a +/- in the negatives (-1) while KG enjoyed a +34.
    Last edited by DukieInBrasil; 10-30-2009 at 07:05 PM. Reason: props to Shelden

Does anyone else love listening to Doug Collins commentate all of the games he's done so far? He makes a point to give the former Duke players love during his commentaries. Last night specifically I remember him bringing up Luol Deng quite a few times during the Bulls/Spurs game. Love it!

Shelden is definitely taking advantage of his playing time in Boston. He had a double-double (10 pts, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks, on 2-4 fg) in 23 minutes against the Bulls. He's actually tied for the title of Celtics' leading rebounder through 3 games.

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    Shelden is definitely taking advantage of his playing time in Boston. He had a double-double (10 pts, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks, on 2-4 fg) in 23 minutes against the Bulls. He's actually tied for the title of Celtics' leading rebounder through 3 games.
    I just want to say that I have a man-crush on Shelden. One of my all-time favorites. The way he played defense was absolutely sublime. I know that he is well-appreciated, but he probably deserves even more appreciation. If he hadn't followed Shane, the greatest defensive leader in team history, we would be talking about Shelden in the same reverent tones. I really hope that he keeps getting PT.

Smile My Favorite Statistic: MPG

The key to an NBA career is to become a solid member of an 8-9 man rotation, which generally means 20+ minutes per game.

Most of the Duke NBA cadre are real contributors: in chronological order, the nine are Hill, Brand, Maggette, Battier, Boozer, Dunleavy (injured), Duhon, Deng, and Dahntay.

The others on rosters are JJ, Shel, McRoberts, Shav, and Gerald.

In the first two games, JJ and Shel are getting significant minutes.

I believe JJ's numbers. He is playing as much as the starters and the games have been fairly close. And JJ is playing because Stan Van Gundy thinks he helps the team. Deadeye shooting or not, I think JJ has arrived in the NBA. I thought he made his bones in the playoffs last year: Orlando was a better team when he was on the floor, and his contribution included both defense and passing.

Shel is getting starter's minutes and making the most of it. But these are blowouts. We'll see what happens when the games are close. Also, of course, Glen Davis (I refuse to call a 300 pund man "Big Baby") is injured. But during the coming games, we'll see how much Doc Rivers wants Shel on the court.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The key to an NBA career is to become a solid member of an 8-9 man rotation, which generally means 20+ minutes per game.

Most of the Duke NBA cadre are real contributors: in chronological order, the nine are Hill, Brand, Maggette, Battier, Boozer, Dunleavy (injured), Duhon, Deng, and Dahntay.

The others on rosters are JJ, Shel, McRoberts, Shav, and Gerald.

In the first two games, JJ and Shel are getting significant minutes.

I believe JJ's numbers. He is playing as much as the starters and the games have been fairly close. And JJ is playing because Stan Van Gundy thinks he helps the team. Deadeye shooting or not, I think JJ has arrived in the NBA. I thought he made his bones in the playoffs last year: Orlando was a better team when he was on the floor, and his contribution included both defense and passing.

Shel is getting starter's minutes and making the most of it. But these are blowouts. We'll see what happens when the games are close. Also, of course, Glen Davis (I refuse to call a 300 pund man "Big Baby") is injured. But during the coming games, we'll see how much Doc Rivers wants Shel on the court.

sagegrouse
    Shelden is definitely playing a lot of minutes because the Celtics are dominating everyone, but he's still putting up really good numbers against quality opponents. Shelden was up against Noah (Bulls' starter) for a significant amount of time and then backup Brad Miller, who is a very solid veteran player. The fact that he's making the most out of his playing time is huge; he's definitely showing he has a place in the league, even if it's as a role player (rebounder).

Dukies Last Night

-------------------MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF +/- PTS

Elton Brand, PF 29 6-11 0-0 5-5 1 5 6 1 3 2 2 2 +9 17

Chris Duhon, PG 56 3-10 0-4 7-7 0 4 4 8 1 0 5 1 +4 13

Gerald Henderson, G 6 1-2 0-0 1-2 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 2 -1 3

Luol Deng, SF 20 2-8 0-0 0-0 2 3 5 0 0 0 2 4 -10 4

Shelden Williams, PF 24 2-4 0-0 6-6 2 8 10 2 0 2 1 4 +10 10

Shaun Livingston, PG DNP COACH'S DECISION

Dahntay Jones, SG 30 2-9 0-0 2-2 0 0 0 2 2 0 3 4 +3 6

Josh McRoberts, PF 1 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 -1 0

J.J. Redick, SG 29 4-10 1-3 3-4 0 5 5 2 0 0 1 2 -3 12

Carlos Boozer, PF 41 9-22 0-0 2-3 0 12 12 7 1 0 3 3 +10 20

Corey Maggette, SF 19 2-7 0-0 5-6 0 2 2 0 1 0 3 3 -8 9

Grant Hill, SF 35 7-13 0-0 4-5 1 5 6 2 0 0 2 1 +19 18

Kobe Bryant, SG 37 6-19 1-4 7-9 3 3 6 2 0 0 3 2 -20 20

I guess it makes as much sense to claim Shaun Livingston as it does Kobe.

look, we all know kobe woulda been a dukie....that's documented...