Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Dukies in the NBA - 2009-10

DukeBluePlanet is saying that as NBA Rosters have been finalized, Duke is tied with UCLA with the most Alums in the league at 14. I know we have had the most for a while now and its impressive to see that is still true, even if we're tied.

I'm going to venture to say that the totals for all schools will increase dramatically as long as the One and Done Rule is in effect and Europe's draw remains relatively weak. Many of the best players in the league now never attended college. The talent level in Europe will balance this out somewhat, but we only have to look at UK's roster to see that there will be a number of One and Dones entering the league through college.

As someone that only follows the NBA as a sort of college basketball alumni league...does anyone know of a website where you can sort NBA players and their statistics by college attended? It would be nice to be able to follow the box scores of all the ex-Duke players without having to look them up individually.

Shelden Williams

This is a little late, but Shelden is currently on TNT (channel 26 in the Triangle) with the Celtics.

Quote Originally Posted by stillcrazie View Post
    This is a little late, but Shelden is currently on TNT (channel 26 in the Triangle) with the Celtics.
    shelden is gonna get some minutes backing up perkins with davis out a few weeks. he just has to use his big body to block out and set screens.

shelden looks small standing next to shaq.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlue08 View Post
    As someone that only follows the NBA as a sort of college basketball alumni league...does anyone know of a website where you can sort NBA players and their statistics by college attended? It would be nice to be able to follow the box scores of all the ex-Duke players without having to look them up individually.
    This is a start: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...umni-tracker#D

according to the CBS thingie, UNC has 16..

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Shammond Williams isn't in the NBA anymore and Stackhouse was just released. I'm guessing one of the other guys is not on a roster either.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    They haven't updated Rashad McCants, who is on the Kings on their list, ut not on Opening Day Roster

OR Jerry Stackhouse.

OR Shammond Williams.

Ok! First night in!

SHelden WIlliams played 12:30 minutes, which is great! He had 4 points (all of them FTs) and 3 rebounds. He only took one shot.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Thanks airowe. That is a cool site. I still think it would be great if someone out there with a website would post daily box scores for ex-Dukies. I know I would check that every morning over my coffee. (Too bad I don't know crap about computers, I could start my own website, lol.)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlue08 View Post
    Thanks airowe. That is a cool site. I still think it would be great if someone out there with a website would post daily box scores for ex-Dukies. I know I would check that every morning over my coffee. (Too bad I don't know crap about computers, I could start my own website, lol.)
    Tent over at TheDevilsDen.com actually does a fantasy leagur for different schools' grads in the NBA. Follow this thread all season to compare teams:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=167&f=1386&t=5013961

Its also on DukeBluePlanet.com evidently, but I can't access that site on my Blackberry very well or I'd provide a link.

Saw Sheldon with the Celtics last night. He gets by with rebounding and D, but that's about it. On offense, he's a non-factor. Saw him get stripped a couple of times and turn the ball over. Now that I've seen him in the pros, I can't see him ever being much of an offensive threat. He's not tall enough to use his jump hook over NBA power forwards, not quite strong enough to bull his way in like big baby, doesn't have a good straight on or turnaround jumper, and doesn't have good footwork. In short, he has almost no NBA offensive game at all. His basic utility is setting screens and picks, passing, and picking up garbage buckets. If he could get a decent mid-range jumper, his value would improve immensely, but at this stage I seriously doubt if it will ever happen. Don't see him lasting too much longer in the league.

Stats for 10/27

Former Dukies who played last night in the NBA...

Code:
    Name                Min  FG   3Pt   FT   +/-  Off  Reb  Ast  TO   Stl  BS Pts
    Shelden Williams  12:30  0-1  0-0  4-4   +7    0    3    0    1    0   0   4
    Shane Battier     27:43  2-9  1-4  3-4   -22   1    4    0    1    2   0   8
    --Jason "can't promise I will do this every day, but I can try" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Daily Stats Updates

Last year I wrote a script that scrapes the Dukies in the NBA from ESPN's Daily Leader page. It still seems to work ok, although I can't guarantee uptime. It's nothing fancy, so don't get your hopes up! I was short on time and threw it together because it was taking too long to find all of our guys' stats.

Feel free to bookmark it here: http://huckleberry.mhc.edu/devilStats.html

Last year's pages can be found: http://huckleberry.mhc.edu/devilStats/2008_2009

As long as my IT admin doesn't start complaining about bw issues, I'll be glad to host.

--grad_devil

Gerald just scored his first NBA points on a nice 18 foot jumper. His teammates aren't passing him the ball, and they're down by 29 to Boston. It's too bad he ended up in Charlotte; the Bobcats are miserable. They have a bunch of interchangeable small-ish guys that are getting dominated by the Celtics.

Smile Dahntay and JJ

Dahntay had a good offensive night for the Pacers, scoring 17 in 26 minutes. Pretty good for a non-shooting shooting guard.

JJ scored 10 in over 20 minutes for Orlando vs. the Sixers. Elton didn't score much in this game, which I didn't watch.

sagegrouse

Shelden v. Gerald

Shelden 12 pts 9 reb 3 asst 22 mins (8 of his pts were free throws)

Gerald 8 pts 2 reb 1 asst 25 mins

Celtics 92 Bobcats 59

At least Shelden can hit his free throws.

18. What's up with Elton Brand? Does anyone here following the 76ers know why he's playing so poorly?

Quote Originally Posted by jyuwono View Post
    What's up with Elton Brand? Does anyone here following the 76ers know why he's playing so poorly?
    Great question. I think part of it is because he still isn't back to 100% since his injuries. Another part is because he Sixers don't play a style that caters to Brand. They run, rather than shoot threes, so there isn't a lot of space in the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    Saw Sheldon with the Celtics last night. He gets by with rebounding and D, but that's about it. On offense, he's a non-factor. Saw him get stripped a couple of times and turn the ball over. Now that I've seen him in the pros, I can't see him ever being much of an offensive threat. He's not tall enough to use his jump hook over NBA power forwards, not quite strong enough to bull his way in like big baby, doesn't have a good straight on or turnaround jumper, and doesn't have good footwork. In short, he has almost no NBA offensive game at all. His basic utility is setting screens and picks, passing, and picking up garbage buckets. If he could get a decent mid-range jumper, his value would improve immensely, but at this stage I seriously doubt if it will ever happen. Don't see him lasting too much longer in the league.
    Who is Sheldon?