Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dukies in the NBA - 2009-10

DukeBluePlanet is saying that as NBA Rosters have been finalized, Duke is tied with UCLA with the most Alums in the league at 14. I know we have had the most for a while now and its impressive to see that is still true, even if we're tied.

I'm going to venture to say that the totals for all schools will increase dramatically as long as the One and Done Rule is in effect and Europe's draw remains relatively weak. Many of the best players in the league now never attended college. The talent level in Europe will balance this out somewhat, but we only have to look at UK's roster to see that there will be a number of One and Dones entering the league through college.

As someone that only follows the NBA as a sort of college basketball alumni league...does anyone know of a website where you can sort NBA players and their statistics by college attended? It would be nice to be able to follow the box scores of all the ex-Duke players without having to look them up individually.

Shelden Williams

This is a little late, but Shelden is currently on TNT (channel 26 in the Triangle) with the Celtics.

Quote Originally Posted by stillcrazie View Post
    This is a little late, but Shelden is currently on TNT (channel 26 in the Triangle) with the Celtics.
    shelden is gonna get some minutes backing up perkins with davis out a few weeks. he just has to use his big body to block out and set screens.

shelden looks small standing next to shaq.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlue08 View Post
    As someone that only follows the NBA as a sort of college basketball alumni league...does anyone know of a website where you can sort NBA players and their statistics by college attended? It would be nice to be able to follow the box scores of all the ex-Duke players without having to look them up individually.
    This is a start: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...umni-tracker#D

according to the CBS thingie, UNC has 16..

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Shammond Williams isn't in the NBA anymore and Stackhouse was just released. I'm guessing one of the other guys is not on a roster either.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    They haven't updated Rashad McCants, who is on the Kings on their list, ut not on Opening Day Roster

OR Jerry Stackhouse.

OR Shammond Williams.

Ok! First night in!

SHelden WIlliams played 12:30 minutes, which is great! He had 4 points (all of them FTs) and 3 rebounds. He only took one shot.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Thanks airowe. That is a cool site. I still think it would be great if someone out there with a website would post daily box scores for ex-Dukies. I know I would check that every morning over my coffee. (Too bad I don't know crap about computers, I could start my own website, lol.)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlue08 View Post
    Thanks airowe. That is a cool site. I still think it would be great if someone out there with a website would post daily box scores for ex-Dukies. I know I would check that every morning over my coffee. (Too bad I don't know crap about computers, I could start my own website, lol.)
    Tent over at TheDevilsDen.com actually does a fantasy leagur for different schools' grads in the NBA. Follow this thread all season to compare teams:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=167&f=1386&t=5013961

Its also on DukeBluePlanet.com evidently, but I can't access that site on my Blackberry very well or I'd provide a link.

Saw Sheldon with the Celtics last night. He gets by with rebounding and D, but that's about it. On offense, he's a non-factor. Saw him get stripped a couple of times and turn the ball over. Now that I've seen him in the pros, I can't see him ever being much of an offensive threat. He's not tall enough to use his jump hook over NBA power forwards, not quite strong enough to bull his way in like big baby, doesn't have a good straight on or turnaround jumper, and doesn't have good footwork. In short, he has almost no NBA offensive game at all. His basic utility is setting screens and picks, passing, and picking up garbage buckets. If he could get a decent mid-range jumper, his value would improve immensely, but at this stage I seriously doubt if it will ever happen. Don't see him lasting too much longer in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    Saw Sheldon with the Celtics last night. He gets by with rebounding and D, but that's about it. On offense, he's a non-factor. Saw him get stripped a couple of times and turn the ball over. Now that I've seen him in the pros, I can't see him ever being much of an offensive threat. He's not tall enough to use his jump hook over NBA power forwards, not quite strong enough to bull his way in like big baby, doesn't have a good straight on or turnaround jumper, and doesn't have good footwork. In short, he has almost no NBA offensive game at all. His basic utility is setting screens and picks, passing, and picking up garbage buckets. If he could get a decent mid-range jumper, his value would improve immensely, but at this stage I seriously doubt if it will ever happen. Don't see him lasting too much longer in the league.
    Who is Sheldon?

Day 2

Aside from an excellent game from Shelden, a solid game from JJ and a very nice game from Grant, it was a horrible day in the NBA for fomer Dukies. Battier has been terrible in his 2 games, Brand seems like he is not going to be the All-star that he was, Magette was off, neither McRoberts or Shav got in their respective games, Duhon was terrible, G had a mediocre debut etc. Luol has yet to play.
    Itīs a small sample size, but our alums have had a collectively blah inauguration to the season.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Aside from an excellent game from Shelden, a solid game from JJ and a very nice game from Grant, it was a horrible day in the NBA for fomer Dukies. Battier has been terrible in his 2 games, Brand seems like he is not going to be the All-star that he was, Magette was off, neither McRoberts or Shav got in their respective games, Duhon was terrible, G had a mediocre debut etc. Luol has yet to play.
    Itīs a small sample size, but our alums have had a collectively blah inauguration to the season.
    Dahntay Jones had 17 pts. last night and played very well. He was taking the ball strong to the rim and finishing. It seems like he might be given more offensive freedom that what he did with the Nuggets.

Gerald actually did pretty well I thought. Eight points in his first game as a rookie in 25 minutes. Not bad. His team, overall, was absolutely horrendous though. Unless they have something up their sleeve that I don't know about, the Bobcats should be the worst team in the NBA this year. They have zero high-level NBA talent right now (guys that could compete for the All-Star team).

Battier

I didn't watch any of the games, but I agree with the other poster that it doesn't sound like G had that bad a debut. Did Battier really play that poorly? His stats weren't that unusual and they lost to a stacked Portland team in Portland and won the game against Golden State on the road.

I think you judge a little too harshly. Boozer and Brand aren't up to their high standards yet, that's true. Neither is Corey. But they're veterans who will be given their chance to get things worked out and I'm sure they will. It's nice to see JJ get some PT and do well from day 1 this season. Also, Gerald did about as well as could be expected when your team, as a whole, plays as terribly as the Bobcats did. It was a blowout, of course, but still nice to Shelden take advantage of his chance at more playing time, as well. As for Shav and McRoberts, neither one was projected to play every game, anyway.

And Luol had a nice debut tonight, netting 17 on 8-13 shooting and 9 boards in a win over the Spurs. He was the Bull's leading scorer.

How are you judging Battier's play? Did you watch the game? It is well known that his role is not to be a big stat guy... unless you are talking defensive stats or the stats of the guy he is guarding. He had 3 steals and 2 blocked shots in the game, which is not bad.

--Jason "Houston values Shane extremely highly. That franchise knows what it has in him" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

calma

I read the stats wrong on Dhantayīs game, and yes he had one his better games in the NBA, sorry Dhantay.
    Gerald had 8 points on 3-7 shooting. In the world of the NBA thatīs a mediocre game, neither good nor bad. Relative to the rest of his team it was actually a decent game.
    I mentioned Brand in that light b/c of the fact that in the few games he played last year he didnīt shoot very well and then missed most of the year with injuries. Itīs just hard coming back from Achilles ruptures. Christian Laettner started his career very well, nearly an All-Star, and then injured his achilles and was a serviceable NBA PF for a few years after.
    Battier is shooting 3-13 for the year (2 games), thatīs bad. His intangibles, rebounding etc. are probably about the same as ever. I love the fact that Shane gets love despite not putting stats that people drool over.
    As i said to start with, itīs a small sample size, i was just commenting that amongst former Duke players, only 4 of them had games that were commendable in the first game of the year.
    Just a small nugget to chew on: Shelden arugably had a better game than Keven Garnett; 12pts vs 10, 9 rebs vs. 7, 3 asts vs 1 but 1 block vs 3 and Shelden played 22 minutes vs 26 for KG. Of course Shelden was the only player on the team with a +/- in the negatives (-1) while KG enjoyed a +34.
    Last edited by DukieInBrasil; 10-30-2009 at 07:05 PM. Reason: props to Shelden