Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New UNC Football Uniforms

Did anyone else notice that the "new" UNC uniforms, unveiled in the losing cause to FSU, were royal blue with powder blue numbers? Unbelieveable

I have never passed up the opportunity to ask new Carolina people I meet (who actually went there) why UNC letterjackets are Duke Blue. Looks like there is another hilarious way to needle them (and their love for Columbia blue)

Quote Originally Posted by childpsycho View Post
    Did anyone else notice that the "new" UNC uniforms, unveiled in the losing cause to FSU, were royal blue with powder blue numbers? Unbelieveable

I have never passed up the opportunity to ask new Carolina people I meet (who actually went there) why UNC letterjackets are Duke Blue. Looks like there is another hilarious way to needle them (and their love for Columbia blue)
    Butch Davis began to use navy blue after he arrived at Carolina. It's a throwback to UNC uniforms years ago (1950's?).

During the portion of my career when I was ordering many sports uniforms, I understood Columbia blue to be a deeper blue than the pale blue shade associated with Carolina.

Here's the throwback basketball jerseys I was talking about in the Pfeiffer thread:

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Here's the throwback basketball jerseys I was talking about in the Pfeiffer thread:

Alex, I'll take "what happens when you cross a UNC uniform with a pic-nic tablecloth" for $500 please.

Unless of course, "throwback" means that is what the UNC players do with them when they are handed out.

Thanks for sharing. Now I have to go see my ophthalmologist because my eyes are bleeding.

Perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Alex, I'll take "what happens when you cross a UNC uniform with a pic-nic tablecloth" for $500 please.

Unless of course, "throwback" means that is what the UNC players do with them when they are handed out.
    Best line of the day.

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Give me a buzz anytime, DevilDeac. I've puzzled over this for several years, but there are plenty of folks walking around the triangle with Duke Blue hats/shirts/jackets on that are despoiled with the UNC logo in pale blue.
    I asked some of my colleagues in the UNC Ophthalmology section if they were sponsoring a resident's project to look into the seemingly localized outbreak of a recessive trait in the Orange County area whereby the foveal cone receptors have been altered to be unable to determine the difference in wavelength in the UV end of the spectrum. Side effects from drinking from the Old Well?
    Puts a whole new meaning on blue-blocker glasses, doesn't it?
    JStuart

Quote Originally Posted by JStuart View Post
    Give me a buzz anytime, DevilDeac. I've puzzled over this for several years, but there are plenty of folks walking around the triangle with Duke Blue hats/shirts/jackets on that are despoiled with the UNC logo in pale blue.
    I asked some of my colleagues in the UNC Ophthalmology section if they were sponsoring a resident's project to look into the seemingly localized outbreak of a recessive trait in the Orange County area whereby the foveal cone receptors have been altered to be unable to determine the difference in wavelength in the UV end of the spectrum. Side effects from drinking from the Old Well?
    Puts a whole new meaning on blue-blocker glasses, doesn't it?
    JStuart
    LMAO. Only from an ophthalmologist could I get that response and you happened to be reading the DBR today.

I've been watching acc basketball since before Jordan's time and I don't remember ever seeing unc uniforms with picnic table ticking!

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Butch Davis began to use navy blue after he arrived at Carolina. It's a throwback to UNC uniforms years ago (1950's?).
    And it's not royal blue (but it's certainly too close for comfort).

It worked well in the UConn game last season. Not so much this year.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...ad.php?t=12451

This is a topic that has been discussed before, but I can't recall just when. I'm talking about both our current use of royal blue, and UNC's use of a very dark blue (not quite navy blue) in their very satisfying loss to FSU last week. Yes, Carolina used a darker shade of blue back during the Charlie Justice era. Duke, on the other hand, used a darker shade of blue for many years. My recollection is that that changed when Duke purchased new uniforms that were knock offs of the unis then in use by the Dallas Cowboys, including the gray pants. That was the start of the drift to the lighter shade of blue, as I recall. The color migration was influenced by many things, but my thoughts are that the marketing geniuses at Nike have brought our team uniforms, all of the teams, to this point. This is in spite of a letter from on high that someone had posted or linked here. The letter spoke of the official shade of blue, a registered color with a specific name that I cannot recall. Something like Prussian blue, but I trust that someone will bring it up from the archives, and post it here. Then we can have some fun discussing it. Personally, I like Prussian blue a lot better than royal blue.

Picnic Table Ticking

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I've been watching acc basketball since before Jordan's time and I don't remember ever seeing unc uniforms with picnic table ticking!
    FWIW, Carolina's uniforms in 1957 (the Frank McGuire National Championship) had the red/white trim. It looked better on those uniforms (to see it in person, go to the UNC basketball museum, where one is on display) than on these modern day "throwbacks."

BTW, count me in as a Heel fan who hated the all-navy look on Thursday night. There is some precedent for navy blue in Carolina uniform history, but Thursday night was over the top. I guess Butch (who doesn't like his school's color) was looking for an intimidating look. I, for one, would prefer that he just focus on coaching the team and leave the sartorial issues to others.

Quote Originally Posted by childpsycho View Post

Royal Blue? perhaps you need to consult the color wheel...maybe if Carolina basketball starts losing we can start a forum discussing the duke uniforms....for example the ridiculous pattern on the back of your jerseys...I will admit the "picnic cloth" throwbacks were hideous...but thats michael jordans doin so I can live with that for one game....we will be unveiling more throwbacks throughout the year to celebrate 100 years of carolina basketball...i hope they do not add the trim to the others..

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Blue View Post
    Royal Blue? perhaps you need to consult the color wheel...maybe if Carolina basketball starts losing we can start a forum discussing the duke uniforms....for example the ridiculous pattern on the back of your jerseys...I will admit the "picnic cloth" throwbacks were hideous...but thats michael jordans doin so I can live with that for one game....we will be unveiling more throwbacks throughout the year to celebrate 100 years of carolina basketball...i hope they do not add the trim to the others..
    Just an FYI, that pattern on the back of our jerseys is the Duke Chapel, one of the coolest buildings on campus!!

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    You got to love how Butch took one look at their school colors and said it was time to man up and wear something else. Powder blue looks good on my little girls when they are wearing sundresses but not on a sports uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by Battierfan01 View Post
    Just an FYI, that pattern on the back of our jerseys is the Duke Chapel, one of the coolest buildings on campus!!
    that said I dont believe that a basketball jersey is the place for gothic architecture ... and you may say that a picnic cloth has no place on trim of the basketball uniforms and ill agree but those were to honor the past...for one game only thankfully

that said I dont believe that a basketball jersey is the place for gothic architecture ... and you may say that a picnic cloth has no place on trim of the basketball uniforms and ill agree but those were to honor the past...for one game only thankfully
    I actually love our new basketball jerseys. The Chapel is the symbol of Duke University, so whats wrong with putting it on sports uniforms??

its a basketball jersey not a brochure about campus life

For your consideration: the punctuation of a Carolina graduate.

FWIW, however, I have no quibble with Carolina_Blue's critique of the Chapel design on the back of the uniform. I love the Chapel, but I'm not loving it on the uniform, either.

I do, however, prefer Butch Davis's tastes in shades of blue to, say, Deano's.

CarolinaBlue,
    If you noticed, this thread had been dead for nearly 3 weeks before you decided to stick your nitpicking into it about which shade of blue the new UNC Football jerseys were. It's not a major point of contention over here. If you feel the need to defend your colors, this is not the place. Take it up with your football coach who has said he doesn't like the colors himself.

Let sleeping dogs lie.