Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    There should be a Height-Skill matrix, whereby very tall and very skilled players are counted as "taller" than the merely tall. Anyone else remember 7-5 Chuck Nevitt from NC State? Not a good player, but very tall. Rumor had it that his car had the driver's seat removed so he could drive from the back seat. I wouldn't mind playing five of him night in and night out.

Though he did play 9 seasons in the NBA... But that's a whole other story.

Quote Originally Posted by CEF1959 View Post
    There should be a Height-Skill matrix, whereby very tall and very skilled players are counted as "taller" than the merely tall. Anyone else remember 7-5 Chuck Nevitt from NC State? Not a good player, but very tall. Rumor had it that his car had the driver's seat removed so he could drive from the back seat. I wouldn't mind playing five of him night in and night out.

Though he did play 9 seasons in the NBA... But that's a whole other story.
    You can't teach height

I read somewhere Coach K said this is his tallest team in 30 years at Duke. Also read that other than the three guards, all players on the team are6'8" or taller. So I wondered if this is the tallest Duke team ever? Just looking at starting front line 78-79 team would have to be right there too wouldn't it?

Starting 5 from 78-79:

Mike Gminski 6-11
    Gene Banks 6-7
    Kenny Dennard 6-8
    Jim Spanarkel 6-5
    Bob Bender 6-2

So the starters are close, but the reserves on that team (Suddath, Harrell, Vince Taylor) weren't close to what this team has coming off the bench.

Speaking of Spanarkel, Jon Scheyer reminds me a lot of him in terms of height, position, and all around smarts. Still, I think JS is more talented. And Spanarkel had a reasonably decent NBA career, whereas JS is viewed as a "maybe late second round" guy. That may say something about how much the NBA has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    I read somewhere Coach K said this is his tallest team in 30 years at Duke. Also read that other than the three guards, all players on the team are6'8" or taller. So I wondered if this is the tallest Duke team ever? Just looking at starting front line 78-79 team would have to be right there too wouldn't it?
    77-78 was 6'11 (G-man), 6'8 (Dennard), 6'7 (Banks), 6'5 (Spanarkle) & 6'0 (Harrell)

Note small number of staff.

Notice also what the short shorts required the photographer to say to them: "Either put your legs together or your hands like this in front of your crotch. We don't want any surprises when this gets developed." Dennard, Suddath, and Bender all have the exact same hand positions.