streaming games on the web from radio affiliates

i started this new thread in response to all the questions on the game thread. I didn't want to muck it up any more.

it's my understanding that NONE of the radio affiliates are allowed to stream the game itself due to licensing deals.

they are in a deal to SELL streaming radio via ISP.

I've searched far and wide for ways to get it on the computer, but they seem to have it wrapped up.

if anyone could get an official statement for this, it would save a lot of folks a lot of googling...

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i started this new thread in response to all the questions on the game thread. I didn't want to muck it up any more.

it's my understanding that NONE of the radio affiliates are allowed to stream the game itself due to licensing deals.

they are in a deal to SELL streaming radio via ISP.

I've searched far and wide for ways to get it on the computer, but they seem to have it wrapped up.

if anyone could get an official statement for this, it would save a lot of folks a lot of googling...
    http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...62&postcount=4

WSFL did not carry the basketball game at all and 1010 carried the basketball game until 7:00 pm when it switched to music with no explanation. More that that post reference is required to explain the situation.

I live on the west coast and used to be able to stream games for free via the Duke Radio Network. No more. So this year, I bought an ISP package through GoDuke.com, which gives me audio and video. It was fun to be able to watch the Pfeiffer game, even if the video quality wasn't the best.

From the stations' point of view, I think the problem with streaming radio for free is a "free rider" problem -- the lack of any mechanism for the stations to get paid for us out-of-region listeners. It's not like the Washington Duke Inn (or whatever) is going to pay more for ad time on a station in Durham just because a bunch of people 3000 miles away are part of the listenership. So, all in all, it's probably fair that I have to pay a fee to listen if I'm not in the broadcast area that advertisers are paying for. And this way I get to watch too, which is cool. No complaints from me.