Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I'm not sure the Others are all that easy to kill. If Patches is the equivalent of a Cyclops, for example, he might have been faking, which would bring in the Trojan Horse thing. When his brains burst, plenty of people might have not checked the pulse--he sure looked dead to me.
    Recall that when Patchy "died" he was in the middle of the sonic fence. No one checked his pulse because they thought that getting near his body would have set off the fence again and killed them too.

I want to agree that the Island makes the Others stronger than normal, as evidenced by Ethan in season one... but Anna Lucia took out Goodwin (though he was whupping up on her until she got the stick and stuck him with it) and Jin took out Patchy. Then again, as you say, perhaps Patchy wanted to be caught.

Hmmmm.

-Jason "good discussion happening now... but I have to run. Busy!" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I don't recall what I said earlier about this episode, but I did not think it was all that great. It was good and had some nice moments, but it was clearly one of the worst of the 2nd half of the season. Part of my lackluster feelings about it are that Lost has been fabulous the past half-dozen episodes or so and I am eagerly anticipating the final four.
    From a plot standpoint, I would agree.

From an acting and directing standpoint, I vehemently disagree. This episode contained some of the best acting and directing of the entire series. The scene with Sun and Jin's father was heartwrenching and nearly brought tears to my eyes. And that was with freaking subtitles.

Look, we can't have Locke-type episodes every week with stuff blowing up and secrets being revealed. Some weeks, we get to soak up the plot, have things move along, have questions answered. Other weeks, we are treated to incredible acting by the finest ensemble cast on TV today. When the show is over and we know everything there is to know about DHARMA and the monster and all of the island's secrets, it won't be the plot I will remember. It will be the outstanding performances by actors like Naveen Andrews, Jorge Garcia, Michael Emerson, Yunjin Kim, to name just a few. That's what will make it so, after knowing how everything works out, pull out my DVDs and watch LOST over and over and over again. (not to mention the directing, music, etc etc etc...LOST is just an awesome show!!)

Judging from Patches' recovery, it seems like they also took a smidge from the Roadrunner/Wile E. Coyote cartoons.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I agree that it was a relatively weak episode in that I didn't want to watch it twice to look for missed details.

The fisherman does win my "Best Father of the Series" award. Of course, the competition is a con man kidney stealer; abusive; an alcoholic unethical philanderer; an alcoholic unethical philanderer; and absent, absent, absent. Is there another father who is a good guy?

I agree that it was a relatively weak episode in that I didn't want to watch it twice to look for missed details.

The fisherman does win my "Best Father of the Series" award. Of course, the competition is a con man kidney stealer; abusive; an alcoholic unethical philanderer; an alcoholic unethical philanderer; and absent, absent, absent. Is there another father who is a good guy?
    Father rundown-

We've seen a lot about Jack, Locke, and Claire's fathers. Same with Jin and Sun's dads (well, we dont really know Jin's dad for sure). Kate's father was among the worst characters around as he left her mom and, once he came back, he tried to play the incest card with Kate.

Sawyer's dad killed his mom after she had an affair with -- well -- someone (wink wink).

Hurley's father ran off and then came back for the money. Still, as played by Cheech Marin, you have to like him a little bit.

Boone and Shannon's father seemed to be pretty good. He just married a horrible woman.

Do we know anything about Charlie's family? He at least had enough of a family unit to be in tight with his brother. His father is unknown, I think.

We know nothing of Sayid's family, do we?

We never met Eko's dad. Same with Desmond, I think.

Michael was a mostly absent father to Walt but that was not his fault. He certainly cares a great deal about protecting Walt.

So, we have a few who we do not know about but the only good father is Michael.

--Jason "I am eager to meet Ben's father-- which should happen in a couple episodes" Evans

Mind-bending

I don't know if people regularly check the Pop Candy Blog on USA Today, but in this week's edition, there are some interesting, and I think mind-bending, theories floating around.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/popcandy/2...sh_3.html#more

Check out # 9, #10 and the Matrix Theory. I find this stuff fascinating even if it's off-base.

The fisherman does win my "Best Father of the Series" award.
    Ironically, he's probably not even Jin's real father. But I don't know that I'd equate weak with not having a lot of easter eggs. I like that part of it too, even love it, but I thought the acting was fantastic. Sure, it was a little O. Henryish but I thought it did a very nice job of tracing the decline of their marriage back to a point where they were both made more sympathetic and where it paralleled in reverse the course of their relationship on the island. And I thought her violent relief at it being his baby despite her death sentence was very well done. Plus, I like any episode with a lot of Juliette and very little Claire.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Kate's father was among the worst characters around as he left her mom and, once he came back, he tried to play the incest card with Kate.

Was that her biological father or her step-father? If the former, who was that army guy she went to see?

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    I don't know if people regularly check the Pop Candy Blog on USA Today, but in this week's edition, there are some interesting, and I think mind-bending, theories floating around.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/popcandy/2...sh_3.html#more

Check out # 9, #10 and the Matrix Theory. I find this stuff fascinating even if it's off-base.
    I like the matrix theory...

10. Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Father rundown-
    Do we know anything about Charlie's family? He at least had enough of a family unit to be in tight with his brother. His father is unknown, I think.
    Charlie's father was a butcher.