Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nook v. Kindle

Nook v. Kindle

Thinking of getting the Nook. Anybody looked at it and have some thoughts. Of course, B&N website says it has a few better features than Kindle. One concern I have is B&N not being around for ages like I am sure Amazon will be. I suppose someone could pick up the Nook business.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    Thinking of getting the Nook. Anybody looked at it and have some thoughts. Of course, B&N website says it has a few better features than Kindle. One concern I have is B&N not being around for ages like I am sure Amazon will be. I suppose someone could pick up the Nook business.
    CNBC interviewed someone (the president of B&N?) today and they discussed their new reader. It sounds like it has all the features of the iPod Touch, including WiFi and 3G connectivity.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I don't know much about the Nook but I love my Kindle. They just dropped in price, too.

Don't have one yet, but I am leaning toward the Sony eBook. Haven't seen the Nook yet, but the Sony reader looked more natural to me than the Kindle. I believe all three have access to the same book sources.

And then there are the planned entries from microsoft and apple.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...5&pageNumber=1

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    And then there are the planned entries from microsoft and apple.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...5&pageNumber=1
    Frankly, all of these extra bells and whistles that are being added lessen the appeal of the ebook concept to me. I want something that is easy to read, and I don't need color or touch for that. Maybe they want to sell e-comic books.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    I agree, as I just wanted to read books on it, and I love the kindle for that(and for the fact that overseas, I can get any book I want on it, which was pretty impossible before). Don't have any comparisons to make with other system, but am a very happy kindle owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    I agree, as I just wanted to read books on it, and I love the kindle for that(and for the fact that overseas, I can get any book I want on it, which was pretty impossible before). Don't have any comparisons to make with other system, but am a very happy kindle owner.
    I have viewed one owned by an acquaintance. Will anyone share the cost of the service and the cost of books downloaded?

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I have viewed one owned by an acquaintance. Will anyone share the cost of the service and the cost of books downloaded?
    There is no "service," you pay the up front cost of the device and then on a per book basis(to be technical, with Amazon's Kindle, the price of the whispernet access to Sprint's network is covered in the cost of the book). Most major new releases tend to be $9.99 or so. There are also a large number of general paperback type releases that are more like $6 or $7(akin to the books you'd find for $6.99 or whatever at a bookstore). The really nice thing is that most of what you'd consider the classics are free. Also, at least with Amazon, each month a number of books are offered free(often the first of a series, trying to get you hooked into something). As a result, since this summer when I got the device, I've read about 20 books on it, but only paid for about 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    There is no "service," you pay the up front cost of the device and then on a per book basis(to be technical, with Amazon's Kindle, the price of the whispernet access to Sprint's network is covered in the cost of the book). Most major new releases tend to be $9.99 or so. There are also a large number of general paperback type releases that are more like $6 or $7(akin to the books you'd find for $6.99 or whatever at a bookstore). The really nice thing is that most of what you'd consider the classics are free. Also, at least with Amazon, each month a number of books are offered free(often the first of a series, trying to get you hooked into something). As a result, since this summer when I got the device, I've read about 20 books on it, but only paid for about 5.
    Thanks. That is helpful.

I own a Kindle and am not familiar with the Nook, but I would suggest that the availability of books would be a major deciding factor. Amazon has a bit of a head start in that department, but I still often run across books that I want that are not available on the Kindle. Will be interesting to see if Nook has better "coverage."

Also I would recommend the regular Kindle over the larger DX model. The regular one is about at the limit of how much weight I want to hold up when I'm reading in bed, so I would expect the DX to be really cumbersome and require you to lay it in your lap or have a stand.

I have the original Kindle and I love it.

By the Nook info I saw yesterday, it looks like the number of available titles is HIGHER on Nook than it is on Kindle. I wonder if the PRICES will be comparable. The device itself is about 20 bucks cheaper (Nook, that is) than a second-generation Kindle.

I buy and read mostly classics, and they cost me anywhere from 99 cents to about $4.99. Most new books are $9.99.

I'm considering getting the Nook for my teenage son for Christmas. It just looks a little less clunky than the Kindle (Kindle is fine for me, though).

I decided to go with the Nook. We'll see. . .

I decided to go with the Nook. We'll see. . .
    I think I may have to put a Nook on my Christmas list.

I think I may have to put a Nook on my Christmas list.
    Good thinking. I ordered one for my parents as well as Christmas gift - I thought they would like it for since they have been taking at least one long trip each year.

Library

I like to go to my local library and check out books.

Why/how are these readers better than a book?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I like to go to my local library and check out books.

Why/how are these readers better than a book?

Thanks
    I like the feel of a book as well but on trips I don't want to have to take multiple books with me, some books are too thick to carry around everywhere, etc. I hear you though. I am interested to see if I like the ereader.

Every time I see the tread title I think I am going into contracts class, or something - and that was a heck of a long time ago.

Every time I see the tread title I think I am going into contracts class, or something - and that was a heck of a long time ago.
    Perhaps I wrote it subconsciously that way since I am a lawyer.

Perhaps I wrote it subconsciously that way since I am a lawyer.
    At least you didn't name it In Re Dorrence Estate with all the soupy consequences!