Still a good place for technical questions?

Well, I've got a puzzler. I have had a wireless network at home for some time. It was terribly hard to get it started, and it has been intermittent ever since. The problems have come and gone, but after getting my first Vista OS machine early last year things have settled down with two exceptions. The wireless signal has never been good, but the same can be said for my wireless weather station, and my cordless telephones. Oh, yeah, I can only use the mobile phone out by the mail box or in the back at the bird feeder. The other exception -- the network only works for internet access. The two computers don't recognize each other, or the printers. Since my wife is only interested in the internet, she is perfectly happy with the poor or very poor connection this flaky system offers.

That is until we returned home from a recent 25 day trip. When Mrs. Jarhead tuned on her computer the first time, she commented that the signal was just as bad as it had been. Three days later she came and complained to me that the signal is broken. It has remained broken for 2 weeks while I exercised every bit of skill I could to fix it. I didn't lose my internet connection, and I was very frustrated by this puzzle. It was getting tiresome having a second user on my computer. Then on Sunday when she turned on her computer to do some off line work she shouted out that the wireless was working, and it has been working better than ever. I immediately took credit for it, but I couldn't fool her. She knew better.

My solution had been taking shape, and I intended to change it to hard wired while keeping the wireless for visitors. For some reason, they never had problems. I still plan to hardwire it to avoid this from happening again, and in hopes of having something more than just internet access. So, what happened? Why did this suddenly straighten out without effort on my part, or anybody's part? Maybe I'll just go out and buy an Apple, or a Win7 box on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post

My solution had been taking shape, and I intended to change it to hard wired while keeping the wireless for visitors. For some reason, they never had problems. I still plan to hardwire it to avoid this from happening again, and in hopes of having something more than just internet access. So, what happened? Why did this suddenly straighten out without effort on my part, or anybody's part?
    FM. Simply a case of FM!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Based on your problem description, Electromagnetic Interference is a possible cause of your problems. Something is interfering with your wireless signal. Perhaps your system magically started working again because the source of the interference stopped radiating.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Based on your problem description, Electromagnetic Interference is a possible cause of your problems. Something is interfering with your wireless signal. Perhaps your system magically started working again because the source of the interference stopped radiating.
    If you use cordless phones that are not the new Dect 6.0, they are on the same frequency as the wireless router, and could definitely be the source of the problem. Does your wife talk on the phone while she is on the computer???

9F 9F 9F

Another possibility is interference from other nearby wifi stations. There are 11 wifi channels in the 2.4 GHz band and most stations are set to channel 6 by default. I always set my system at least 3 channels away from those nearby if possible.

You can check on nearby wifi base stations with either netstumbler or
    inSSIDer. On my Mac I use kisMAC.

You could also remove the aluminum foil from the walls that you put up to defeat alien mind readers and just wear the foil hat.

Do you have an old house Jarhead? Ours is 1935 with cement block walls structural support covered with wire mesh to hold the interior plaster and then a brick exterior. Husband had to attach an additional antenna outside the downstairs den window for wireless only in that room and it's still spotty. We're in the boonies, too. We have some hope for radio signal towers possibly coming to the area in the next couple of years but until then, we're with you in having to rely on satellite hardwire, which also sometimes gives us fits.

Wire mesh in the walls weezie? Sounds like you live in a giant Faraday cage... the ultimate in anti-alien mind reading defenses!!

Can't speak to the problem your wife was having but when you say your connection is slow while visitors have a fast connection, I admit my first thought is spyware/adware. I assume you've done you're due diligence with Spybot or something of its ilk?

(or own a mac?)

Sometimes I wonder if something of a paranormal nature is taking over, but my MS techie son-in-law suggests the cordless phones as a potential part of the problem. The house is only 15 years old, but it is current on most appliances, electronics and HVAC. New things must radiate bad waves, but they have stopped doing it all of a sudden.

Another thing -- this morning I decided to turn on Mrs. Jarhead's computer. It is an XP box, so expected it to take a while to boot up. To avoid the wait, I headed out to the kitchen for some coffee, but before I got out of the room I heard the MS welcome noise. I hurried back, and found that the network signal was already up and rated better than it has ever been.

I had wondered about malware, so I scrubbed the system as clean as I could about a week ago. Also, her PC is at the opposite end of the house from the router. As soon as I find out what fixed the bloody thing, I will patent it. Now I am wondering if it was the fact that just the night before it came back I had watched the first episode of Flash Forward. Dear Win7, protect us.

This may be more technical than you want...

There are only a few ranges of unlicensed radio spectrum, including 2.4 MHz and something in the 5 MHz range, so lots of stuff wind up using (and interfering with) 2.4 MHz, including:

Neighbors' wifi (make sure you're several channels away from theirs)
    Microwave ovens (they cycle with the AC power wave, 60 blasts a second)
    Cordless phones (unplug and pull batteries for testing; you can get other frequencies)
    Bluetooth (very low power, so you're probably not having trouble here)
    Wireless alarm systems (and even some motion sensors)
    Baby monitors (who wants to hear a crying baby, anyway?)
    News van broadcast masts (or perhaps you're under surveillance via a wireless A/V setup?)

I use 802.11a wireless, which uses the 5 MHz spectrum, and doesn't get hit by my microwave or phones. I can't use my cordless phone in my kitchen when the microwave is running, though.

If you move to the new 802.11n, which can support both 2.4 MHz (b,g) and 5 MHz (a), make sure you get one that does support the 5 MHz range. Many of the cheaper ones just support 2.4.

Also, an antenna might be somewhat directional and pointed the wrong way or have metal in the way (duct work or metal studs).

As for why your computers don't see each other - that's a different problem, usually having to do with improper TCPIP setup (perhaps competing DHCP servers or misconfigured routers) or mismatched identification/security setup.

-jk

As soon as I find out what fixed the bloody thing, I will patent it.
    I told you - it is F M. If you don't know what F M is, I'll post it over at CTN for you - the filters won't let me do it here

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    As for why your computers don't see each other - that's a different problem, usually having to do with improper TCPIP setup (perhaps competing DHCP servers or misconfigured routers) or mismatched identification/security setup.

-jk
    This is an interested thread to pop up today, as I spent about 5 hours last night getting a 7 year old Windows XP laptop to talk to a brand new Windows Vista laptop. After changing a multitude of random settings, I finally got it working.

Basically, I have the XP laptop (serving as a host for a printer and external hard drive -- so I can access/use these wirelessly from my new laptop) connected to my stereo. I can now use Remote Desktop from the Vista laptop to control the iTunes on the XP, thus play my music (which is all located on the external drive) from my Vista laptop. However, there is a little bit of lag. Usable, but slightly annoying.

Is there any better way to essentially use the old XP laptop as a media server, but be able to control it while I'm at my Vista laptop? A software program that would not require the clunky Remote Desktop?

What brand/type of router are you using? I agree with most people here who say the problem is most likely EM interference but it could be the router (or its placement). Also depending on the router you may be able to flash it with a third party firmware like dd-wrt and increase the transmit power.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluelemur View Post
    Wire mesh in the walls weezie? Sounds like you live in a giant Faraday cage... the ultimate in anti-alien mind reading defenses!!

Can't speak to the problem your wife was having but when you say your connection is slow while visitors have a fast connection, I admit my first thought is spyware/adware. I assume you've done you're due diligence with Spybot or something of its ilk?

(or own a mac?)
    Wire mesh is old-fashioned lath and plaster. It's everywhere in older houses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Even more old fashion is wood lath and plaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Even more old fashion is wood lath and plaster.
    It's amazing what low tech stuff gets talked about on high tech threads.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    This may be more technical than you want...

There are only a few ranges of unlicensed radio spectrum, including 2.4 MHz and something in the 5 MHz range, so lots of stuff wind up using (and interfering with) 2.4 MHz, including:

Neighbors' wifi (make sure you're several channels away from theirs)
    Microwave ovens (they cycle with the AC power wave, 60 blasts a second)
    Cordless phones (unplug and pull batteries for testing; you can get other frequencies)
    Bluetooth (very low power, so you're probably not having trouble here)
    Wireless alarm systems (and even some motion sensors)
    Baby monitors (who wants to hear a crying baby, anyway?)
    News van broadcast masts (or perhaps you're under surveillance via a wireless A/V setup?)

I use 802.11a wireless, which uses the 5 MHz spectrum, and doesn't get hit by my microwave or phones. I can't use my cordless phone in my kitchen when the microwave is running, though.

If you move to the new 802.11n, which can support both 2.4 MHz (b,g) and 5 MHz (a), make sure you get one that does support the 5 MHz range. Many of the cheaper ones just support 2.4.

Also, an antenna might be somewhat directional and pointed the wrong way or have metal in the way (duct work or metal studs).

-jk
    Thanks for the info, -jk. I was suspecting something like that. It is working just fine right now, so I'll let it go a while. If it acts up again, though, I can go ethernet for between $35 to $45. Mrs. Jarhead doesn't like me to drill holes in the floor, so I'll get the hardware from Radio Shack and put in wall plates.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I told you - it is F M. If you don't know what F M is, I'll post it over at CTN for you - the filters won't let me do it here
    Ozzie, I must be dense. I have no idea wtf you mean by F M. I looked over there at CTN, but I didn't see anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    How about sheet rock with a new coat of paint last spring?

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    What brand/type of router are you using? I agree with most people here who say the problem is most likely EM interference but it could be the router (or its placement). Also depending on the router you may be able to flash it with a third party firmware like dd-wrt and increase the transmit power.
    Linksys, one of the current models, but that can't be the problem. Last week while at a neighbors house (four doors down) he asked to see some pictures I took recently. I obliged by signing in from his laptop and showed him some neat pictures. Signal strength was measured at very good. I earned some geek points , but I didn't give him my security code.

Just noticed that I have gone over 1500 posts. Five times or more,
    Last edited by Jarhead; 10-21-2009 at 10:35 PM.

Ozzie, I must be dense. I have no idea wtf you mean by F M. I looked over there at CTN, but I didn't see anything.
    Look now. I started a thread just for you!

9F 9F 9F