Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

He Shoots! He Misses!

"UNC has an imposing winning percentage at the Dean Dome because it has had excellent players, not because the fans are so intimidating. If they were, you wouldn’t hear UNC players constistently saying they like playing in Cameron because of the atmosphere."

If opposing players consistently say they like playing somewhere, how intimidating is it?

Quote Originally Posted by aheel4ever View Post
    "UNC has an imposing winning percentage at the Dean Dome because it has had excellent players, not because the fans are so intimidating. If they were, you wouldn’t hear UNC players constistently saying they like playing in Cameron because of the atmosphere."

If opposing players consistently say they like playing somewhere, how intimidating is it?
    Troll much?

Because elite players love a challenge, love competition. It's how they got good enough to play at the highest levels of college basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Troll much?
    From his/her post count I'd guess about 18 times.

Is that you, Greivis?

It actually seems like a legit question

I thought the same thing when I read that.

To start, I think we can all agree that the Dean Dome is not an intimidating place to play. It is downright quiet for many games.

As to the question about Cameron, I think it is a reasonable one to ask. Many have all bemoaned the lack of spontineity and "going for the throat" by the crazies in recent years. The underlying theme of that discussion seems to be that Cameron just isn't "scary" like it once was.

Its still the best place in the world to watch a basketball game, still gives a great home court advantage, but it is reasonable to ask why it is considered intimidating if players love playing there and our most loyal fans complain that it is not intimidating anymore. No?

Don't feed him... he'll just get more bold

Cameron can be both enjoyable and intimidating. They're not mutually exclusive.
    For high-level college basketball players, an intimidating environment is a challenge, and an environment where they thrive. JJ loved the ire of opposing fans when it was directed at him and not his family.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisheery View Post
    I thought the same thing when I read that.

To start, I think we can all agree that the Dean Dome is not an intimidating place to play. It is downright quiet for many games.

As to the question about Cameron, I think it is a reasonable one to ask. Many have all bemoaned the lack of spontineity and "going for the throat" by the crazies in recent years. The underlying theme of that discussion seems to be that Cameron just isn't "scary" like it once was.

Its still the best place in the world to watch a basketball game, still gives a great home court advantage, but it is reasonable to ask why it is considered intimidating if players love playing there and our most loyal fans complain that it is not intimidating anymore. No?
    I appreciate the rational response. My intent wasn't to troll, although I'm not surprised that some took it that way.

I do agree that for many games, the Dean Dome is quiter than many arenas. Although, I'd also submit that for most of those games, there's no real need for intimidation of the opponent. I also agree that Cameron is a great environment in which to watch a game. But, is it intimidating?

I appreciate the rational response. My intent wasn't to troll, although I'm not surprised that some took it that way.

I do agree that for many games, the Dean Dome is quiter than many arenas. Although, I'd also submit that for most of those games, there's no real need for intimidation of the opponent. I also agree that Cameron is a great environment in which to watch a game. But, is it intimidating?
    If one's only experience in viewing college basketball were the Dean Dome, I can understand how one could wonder that a college basketball venue could ever be intimidating.

However, there is much anecdotal evidence that Cameron is intimidating, to the point where opposing players have refused to travel with the team to Durham.

Yes, Carolina has had recent success against Duke, but it is cyclical. The winds of change could well be whistling through, whispering "Harrison Barnes, Kyrie Irving, Austin Rivers."

Consider also that one of Carolina's advantages is that they can promise a recruit a chance to play in Cameron each year.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Consider also that one of Carolina's advantages is that they can promise a recruit a chance to play in Cameron each year.
    Well said BD, yes indeed. Whereas the Duke recruiters can mention the fact that the deandome is only a quick bus ride away, thereby giving the players a travel break and less time spent away from the hallowed halls of Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Well said BD, yes indeed. Whereas the Duke recruiters can mention the fact that the deandome is only a quick bus ride away, thereby giving the players a travel break and less time spent away from the hallowed halls of Duke.
    As well as a the nosedome providing a quiet place to play.

Any place that has a history of piping in fake crowd noise should definitely not have a label of Intimidating.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    If one's only experience in viewing college basketball were the Dean Dome, I can understand how one could wonder that a college basketball venue could ever be intimidating.
    However, there is much anecdotal evidence that Cameron is intimidating, to the point where opposing players have refused to travel with the team to Durham.

Yes, Carolina has had recent success against Duke, but it is cyclical. The winds of change could well be whistling through, whispering "Harrison Barnes, Kyrie Irving, Austin Rivers."

1. I assure you I've seen many, many games in Cameron.
    2. I was referring more to Cameron in more recent years (say, post 2000).
    3. Of course, it's cyclical. But, does Duke having Barnes (for sake of discussion), Irving and Rivers make the Cameron arena more intimidating?
    4. I agree. It's a great environment to win in.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    As well as a the nosedome providing a quiet place to play.
    And for the guys on the bench, a quiet place to study.

Is this a poke by a UNC fan, sure, but its a legit question and hardly much of a troll post. If you compare the venues as of late, I think Cameron is still one of the premier places to play, the dean dome is a bit more sterile but some of that comes with having a private school with a smaller fan base versus the state school with a huge fan base.

Compared to the 90's the Dean Dome is more active like a college venue as opposed to the wine and cheese crowd but its still got a ways to go to be "intimidating". I think Duke as one of the better winning percentages there of the teams that play UNC at Chapuh Heeyah and thats at its loudest. To be fair to the sheep to an extent, I don't know of any basketball team that plays at a pro style arena that could be considered really intimidating. UMD needs to go back to Cole Field house.

Cameron is still loud, but its nowhere near what it was. I still remember seeing the 92 Duke team destroy Ga Tech by 20 and it was one of the loudest experiences I've ever been two. I been a few times since 2007 and it doesn't quite match up. Now kids relish the opportunity to try to show Duke up on its home floor, remember that Jimmy Baron kid with URI? He thrived off of the crazies. I think thats why K wants the cheer sheets dumped. He wants spontenaity and fans who show a lot of nerve to rattle the other teams players, not prefabricated chants that gives kids a chance to pat themselves on the back for how clever they are.

I think Cameron has become a bit too cute and clever, I think it needs to be a bit mean. Not rude, crude, distasteful or ugly, but mean and maaaaaybe a little condescending to the opposing players. Thats how I remember CIS in the late 80's early 90's.

I'm not a Carolina fan, but I have to admit I do hate to see all the heavy trash talk directed towards Chappa Heeya. I just feel it's bad karma. Can't we give beaucoop props (sp?) without having to trash our close rival and their players and coach? Seriously. Prop our team, let the other team go its own way. Harsh criticism, however well-intended, seems to me to be a no-win boomerang jinx. IMHO. Based on past experience since 2001. Hint, hint.

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    Cameron is still loud, but its nowhere near what it was. I still remember seeing the 92 Duke team destroy Ga Tech by 20 and it was one of the loudest experiences I've ever been two. I been a few times since 2007 and it doesn't quite match up. Now kids relish the opportunity to try to show Duke up on its home floor, remember that Jimmy Baron kid with URI? He thrived off of the crazies. I think thats why K wants the cheer sheets dumped. He wants spontenaity and fans who show a lot of nerve to rattle the other teams players, not prefabricated chants that gives kids a chance to pat themselves on the back for how clever they are.

I think Cameron has become a bit too cute and clever, I think it needs to be a bit mean. Not rude, crude, distasteful or ugly, but mean and maaaaaybe a little condescending to the opposing players. Thats how I remember CIS in the late 80's early 90's.
    So you returned to a place you remembered from your youth, and it turned out to be less impressive than you recalled? I'm not sure that the cheer sheets are to blame here.

They may not be the root of the problem (maybe something of a scapegoat) maybe the fans in general have become more reserved (me included) Its a bit disconcerting that CIS isn't quite as feared as it used to be and I'd like the pendulum swing back in the other direction a bit.

In a way, I want CIS attendees to have fun and ultimately be good sports, but I want some meanness, arrogance and derision, just a hint, but enough to get under the skin of the opposing players. Everyone hates us and thinks we're a bunch of arrogant d bags. Fine, if they want us Duke fans to be the William Zabka of college basketball, then we'll be the William Zabka of college basketball, and I say we sweep a lot of legs on the way. Might as well have some fun being hated.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    So you returned to a place you remembered from your youth, and it turned out to be less impressive than you recalled? I'm not sure that the cheer sheets are to blame here.
    I know what you mean. I recently visited the house where I lived as a child and noticed that the doorknobs are lower than they were back then.