Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

FB: Duke 17, Maryland 13

So its basically settled that Duke is going to be favored in this game (My bet is a spread of -6, but perhaps i'm too optimistic).

Maryland just played an absolutely awful game vs UVA, where it turned over the ball multiple times and couldn't get anything more than 3 FGs. I don't think UVA's defense is THAT good, but it's not THAT much better than ours, and i think our O is far better than UVA's.

Also, we'll be at home.

This is a huge game for us to carry our momentum from State and get above 500 in both our overall and conference records. If we win this game, we go to Virginia on a hot streak with a great chance. Lose, and we'll need to re-evaluate. This game SHOULD NOT be like NC State last year...Maryland is not that good.

What do yall think?
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Maryland just played an absolutely awful game vs UVA, where it turned over the ball multiple times and couldn't get anything more than 3 FGs. I don't think UVA's defense is THAT good, but it's not THAT much better than ours, and i think our O is far better than UVA's.
    Both UVA and Maryland looked horrible...it was like watching the bad news bears of football...on BOTH sides of the ball. Our defense has to be salivating, and at the same time we have to make sure that we play the same football we did versus VT and NCSU. If we play down to Maryland (or to UVA for that matter) then we could have ugly results. I can't remember the last time Duke could play down to an ACC opponent. (We didn't play down to NCCU, so that's a good sign).
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Given the horrible weather conditions, I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from the UVA-Merlin game, as ugly as it was. I suspect we'll be very slight favorites against MD, but doubt it will be as much as six points...if we don't play well, we won't win. This team simply doesn't have much margin of error.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Both UVA and Maryland looked horrible...it was like watching the bad news bears of football...on BOTH sides of the ball. Our defense has to be salivating, and at the same time we have to make sure that we play the same football we did versus VT and NCSU. If we play down to Maryland (or to UVA for that matter) then we could have ugly results. I can't remember the last time Duke could play down to an ACC opponent. (We didn't play down to NCCU, so that's a good sign).
    You hit the nail on the head. If we play the same football we did against VT and NCSU it will be a great day. I do not think the terps can stand up against that kind of effort and execution. Not expecting Thad to go 40 for 50 again obviously, but certainly expect a high level of play from him.

I believe Duke will come out strong and play well on both sides of the ball and walk away with a victory..

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    You hit the nail on the head. If we play the same football we did against VT and NCSU it will be a great day. I do not think the terps can stand up against that kind of effort and execution. Not expecting Thad to go 40 for 50 again obviously, but certainly expect a high level of play from him.

I believe Duke will come out strong and play well on both sides of the ball and walk away with a victory..
    Consistency is the key now. Execution has become more precise and crisp on both sides of the ball. Despite not playing Maryland last year, Coach Cutcliffe and the staff will come up with a thorough game plan. I look forward to seeing what unfolds against Maryland! I continue to believe that the rest of Duke's opponents will face some surprises.

In case, you're wondering, the last time Duke won consecutive ACC games was 1994.

So, how can Duke handle the favorite's role?

It's not like they have a lot of practice.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    In case, you're wondering, the last time Duke won consecutive ACC games was 1994.

Learning to handle the role of favorite is part of that much heralded cultural change. It's time!

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Learning to handle the role of favorite is part of that much heralded cultural change. It's time!
    Agreed. I was very impressed with the way the team acted on the field after the State game. They acted like they expected to win, and did not jump around like I did in front of the TV. Very professional. And it shows a certain mind-set that Coach Cut has brought to the team.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I was wondering, thanks Jim!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Very professional. And it shows a certain mind-set that Coach Cut has brought to the team.
    Remember when we beat JMU last year, and Cut implored the fans not to take the goal posts down? He said "save it". (Actually he said save it for a certain team in less than pleasant terms ), but to this date, even though the team has had a couple of really nice "signature" wins, the goal posts have stood. I feel the fans as well as the team understand that better days and better victories are in front of us. When those posts do come down, I'll be there. I don't know versus who, I don't know when. But I do know that it will be one of the memorable events of my life. GO DUKE!!!

Remember when we beat JMU last year, and Cut implored the fans not to take the goal posts down? He said "save it". (Actually he said save it for a certain team in less than pleasant terms ), but to this date, even though the team has had a couple of really nice "signature" wins, the goal posts have stood. I feel the fans as well as the team understand that better days and better victories are in front of us. When those posts do come down, I'll be there. I don't know versus who, I don't know when. But I do know that it will be one of the memorable events of my life. GO DUKE!!!
    I think it will either be when we beat Wake to end the season with that game making us bowl eligible, or when we take down Alabama next season. Hey...a man can dream can't he?

IMO it should NEVER be for a victory over the evil ones. They are not that important that we should risk life or limb over them!

As Ozzie would day, 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F
    Last edited by Indoor66; 10-18-2009 at 05:00 PM. Reason: ...add third sentence

I think the next two weeks are the most important games for Duke football in a long, long time. Win both and we've officially graduated to a mid-level conference team. That would be an impressive accomplishment for a 2nd-year Duke coach.

Heck, anyone know the last time we've been favored in an ACC game, period?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Heck, anyone know the last time we've been favored in an ACC game, period?
    Last year. We were favorites over UVA last year.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I think the next two weeks are the most important games for Duke football in a long, long time. Win both and we've officially graduated to a mid-level conference team. That would be an impressive accomplishment for a 2nd-year Duke coach.
    We've got a superb coach and staff. The guys on this team (regardless of who recruited them) are a living investment in the future. The next two games are important for the fans, too. It's very important to step up and show support by being there in person if at all possible.

Coach Cutcliffe has mentioned the importance of the atmosphere which we, the fans, can create in Wallace Wade just as we do in Cameron.

There will never be too much blue in the stadium!!!!!

Actually, that is the one thing that worries me a little. Playing as the favorite. Hopefully our guys are grounded and Coach has them in a good mindset. I would think they would not get "the big head" but it is a concern.

Good news is, we have a coach that is fairly decent at coaching football and managing teams. He will have them ready.

"Duke Football, A Cut Above"

With the college football season through seven weeks, Duke is rated # 69 by Sagarin:

http://www.kiva.net/~jsagarin/sports/cfsend.htm

We are ahead of N.C. State and Maryland, and within striking distance of Wake Forest, UNC, and Virginia.

We have opened as an 8 point favorite over Maryland:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college%...s/las%2Dvegas/
    Bob Green

We have to prepare for the worst case senario - in other words, the Maryland team that beat Clemson, not the Maryland team that lost to Middle Tennessee. I hope that Maryland prepares for the Duke team that lost to Richmond and got blown off the field at Kansas.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    With the college football season through seven weeks, Duke is rated # 69 by Sagarin:

http://www.kiva.net/~jsagarin/sports/cfsend.htm

We are ahead of N.C. State and Maryland, and within striking distance of Wake Forest, UNC, and Virginia.

We have opened as an 8 point favorite over Maryland:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college%...s/las%2Dvegas/
    Good stuff Bob! Thanks for sharing. 69th is fair at this point I guess. If we can beat Maryland and UVA it should get us in the top 50. One game at a time though so let's take care of Maryland on Saturday.

"Duke Football - A Cut Above"