Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by YourLandlord View Post
    cb buckner sucks
    and again.

Great game in NY tonight. Two elite closers get rocked, Yanks survive bases loaded no outs. Come from behind HR in the 9th, walkoff in the 11th. What a game.

Man it sucks to be the twins in NY.

WOW!

What a win by the Yankees! ARod hits a 2-run home run to tie it in the bottom of the ninth, and Mark Texiera wins it with a walk-off "wall scraper" home run in the 11th!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

At least we may be spared a few minutes of tedious chatter about how the best shortstop on the Yankee roster can't produce in the "clutch."

No one makes mention of the worst call by an umpire that I have ever seen. A call so bad that it appeared deliberate. But nobody wants or expects the Twins to advance - they should feel lucky they were allowed in the postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell1977 View Post
    No one makes mention of the worst call by an umpire that I have ever seen. A call so bad that it appeared deliberate. But nobody wants or expects the Twins to advance - they should feel lucky they were allowed in the postseason.
    As replay showed, that was a horrible call. It wasn't even close to being foul. Mauer did single in the at bat, and if he had been at second instead of first leading off the inning, he might have scored, but then Texiera's HR would have tied the score, and ARod's or Matsui's following HR, in the at bats they didn't have to take, would have won the game anyway .

9F 9F 9F

yankees-twins

Wow ... really dramatic game. I wouldn't say a great game because, to me, great implies a level of excellence that this game didn't achieve. There were a number of great performances on both sides, but there were plenty of mistakes -- by the Yankees, the Twins and the umps.

Yes, that was a horrible call on Mauer's hit in the 11th -- it definitely should have been a double to lead off the inning. But the worst call ever? I don't know ... anybody remember Don Denkinger's call in the 1985 World Series? That one was pretty well covered on TV, so it should be recalled. As a longtime Yankee fan, I still get upset at Al Smith's TWO blatant mistakes at first base in game five of the 1964 World Series -- calling Bill White safe in the fifth (no TV replay in those days, but the newsreel footage of the call shows he was clearly out), then calling Pepitone out in the ninth (when the film shows he was already past the bag when Gibson's throw arrived). Those calls cost the Yankees two runs in a game that went into extra innings -- and ended up a Cardinal win. And since the Cards won the series in seven games, you could argue that first-base ump Al Smith cost the Yankees the 1965 series.

But did he? And did the ump who blew Mauer's call cost the Twins last night? The problem I have is that you can't really assume that if you change a major detail, then everything else that follows stays the same. Maybe with Mauer on second with a leadoff double, the Twins bunt him to third. Maybe the Yankees pitch the following batters differently. Maybe Girardi brings in a new pitcher. And maybe the Twins score a run in the inning and the Yankees follow Tex's jack with back-to-back bops with A-Roid.

I know Twin fans are going to blame the loss on the bad call, but this was a game where they left 17 men on base. What about the horrendous baserunning that cost them a run in the fourth inning (It took two mistakes at the same time to rob the Twins of a run -- the guy who overran second and got tagged out and Delmon Young, who was coasting home and didn't get there in time)? What about Joe Nathan, the team's ace reliever coming in and giving up the game-tying homer in the bottom of the ninth?

Plenty of reasons for the Twins loss ... the blown call was certainly one of them, but not the only reason.

BTW, we should note that the Angels now have the Red Sox on the ropes after winning last night. Anaheim has gotten great pitching in two games from Lachey and Weaver. The Red Sox starters (Lester and Beckett) have been solid, but the Angels' starters have been better.

Interesting, of the four division series, three are now 2-0 with the home team winning every game. Only the Phils-Rockies is 1-1. I wonder if that 7-1 record for the home teams will continue now that we're moving to the home fields of the lower seeded teams?

Today is National League night. I'm hoping I get home in time from the Duke game to see Pedro start for the Phils in Denver. The forecast is calling for snow -- that could be interesting.

they should feel lucky they were allowed in the postseason.

Oh, I'll bet they know just how lucky they are. See: "Inge, HBP."

"Today is National League night. I'm hoping I get home in time from the Duke game to see Pedro start for the Phils in Denver. The forecast is calling for snow -- that could be interesting. "

That would be snow in Denver, not snow in Raleigh, I hope.

Well, I'm a Twins fan, and I knew going in there was no way we were going to beat the Yankees, probably even once. They have owned us for years, and we always seem to get them in the first round of the playoffs, with the same result every time. I do NOT blame the loss on the blown call. I put the blame on the failure to hit with runners on and on Joe Nathan's epic collapse. And Weezie, that was the first thought in my head when I saw the blown call. Karma for the Brandon Inge mistake. I was happy to win that game, but I prefer beating the opponents, not having the umps screw somebody. Oh well, I'll just have to think about the upcoming basketball season.

Replay clearly shows that was a blown call in the Twins vs Yankees game, however before anyone gets to outraged by it, let's remember the 3B coach for the Twins didn't say squat about it nor did any other member of the Twins team.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Replay clearly shows that was a blown call in the Twins vs Yankees game, however before anyone gets to outraged by it, let's remember the 3B coach for the Twins didn't say squat about it nor did any other member of the Twins team.
    Irrelevant and wrong. A Twins player was shown demonstrating how far fair the ball was. The umpire was 20 feet away. He's probably being investigated as we speak.

Another juicy tidbit to look forward to in a potential Yankee/Dodger series is Padilla v. Tex. You know Padilla (who really seems like an ###) isn't going to be able to resist hitting him. Be interesting to see if Tex gets a chance to rip his head off, or if his own teammates beat him to it.

Ooooh, careful there, we get a bad umpiring call every few years in the postseason. We were due for one. Don Deckinger... Kent Hrbek/Ron Gant... Reggie sticking his rear end out to break up a double play... The White Sox a few times in 2005... the non-triple play the Astros didn't get in 1980... the bar is pretty high here.
    Last edited by hurleyfor3; 10-10-2009 at 10:41 PM.

I know this is a little late but...

Great game last night in NY. Little sidenote here: I told my family if A-Rod hit a homerun I'd eat my iphone. It was delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebsbll14 View Post
    I know this is a little late but...

Great game last night in NY. Little sidenote here: I told my family if A-Rod hit a homerun I'd eat my iphone. It was delicious.
    You wanted to upgrade to a 3Gs anyway!

9F 9F 9F

Funny. No one seems to be congratulating the Dodgers. Swept the Cards.

So Throaty's home team -- with the best player in baseball, does the el foldo.

I am looking forward to a freeway series in SoCal.

And now the Red Sox are gone. Great comeback by the Angels.

I didn't have much hope for Vlad, but that hit was remarkable, given the pressure. I guess Pap just ran out of gas.

colorado

I know they postponed last night's game in Denver for cold weather (even before it snowed).

I was told it was supposed to warm up today. Then I turn to the start of the New England at Denver football game -- they say it's the coldest NFL game of the year so far -- BY 20 DEGREES!

Temp at kickoff (2:15 p.m. Denver time) was 30 degrees. What's it going to be at 8 p.m. local time tonite when the Rockies and Phillies start? Can they afford to delay things another day (they've already eliminated the potential travel day between games 4 and 5)?

Congratulation to the Angels ... great comeback. Watching Paplebon fail for the first time in postseason is just a reminder of how many times Rivera has delieved in the playoffs and world series (although he too has a couple of notable failures).

As a Yankee fan, I'm not looking forward to a seven-game series with the Angels ... in fact, I'm not yet looking past that last win we need over the Twins. And as bad as the Metrodome is (and how bad can it be -- Duke won two national championships in that building), at least we won't have to play in sub-freezing weather!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Temp at kickoff (2:15 p.m. Denver time) was 30 degrees. What's it going to be at 8 p.m. local time tonite when the Rockies and Phillies start? Can they afford to delay things another day (they've already eliminated the potential travel day between games 4 and 5)?
    http://www.weather.com/outlook/healt...pnav_allergies

37° F
    Light Wintry Mix

Beautiful!