Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by JG Nothing View Post
    Using the term "irresistible" really does not do justice to what Keesler is talking about. Combinations of ingredients (i.e. chemicals) can lead to an addiction in some, but not all people. Keesler has his theory and cites his evidence.
    Out of curiosity, does Kessler use the term "addiction"? In the summary quoted above, I see "conditioned hypereating", "reward-driven eating", "desire to eat", and "food obsession" (along with the lovingly slanted "collusion" and "diabolical") but not "addiction".

now THIS is an outstanding advocacy essay:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...s_opinion_main

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    Do you own a franchise or something? Many of the salads have more calories than the hamburgers. The main salads have between 400-630 or so calories with dressing, not to mention several hundred of those calories from fat (200+ with dressing on several of them). The premium chicken sandwiches have roughly the same amount of calories as the Big Mac (between 420 and 630). The Big Mac is 540 calories. If you add fries to that, you add a few hundred more calories. This doesn't even include whatever drink you get. There's saturated fat in all of those except the drink.

Oh, and the new Angus burgers have roughly 760 calories each.

I have no problem with going to McDonald's on occasion (once every few weeks), but eating it for lunch every day or several times a week is probably a bad idea.
    760 DELICIOUS calories, to be exact.

Quote Originally Posted by YourLandlord View Post
    now THIS is an outstanding advocacy essay:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...s_opinion_main
    That essay only partially backs up your point. It also points out that the percent of calories from added fats has increased 35% - from added flour/cereal 13%, which is one of Kessler's points. For purposes going back to times when food could be scarce, or bodies crave fat. Purposefully adding fat to foods that don't need it (some foods do need fat, and the human body needs some fat) is a way that the large food industry can manipulate the eating behaviors of some people. Can we fight against this as indiviudals? Sure. But if consumers are not even aware that amounts of fat and salt that are far larger than what would occur naturally in that particular food have been added, it is more difficult.

Kessler's book is not a flaming diatribe against food - for the most part it is a pretty reasonable example of how as Americans get further and further from our food sources we are less and less aware of the composition of what we eat. The more we cook at home the healthier we are, and the more we make our own food (as oppsed to buying ready-made foods) the healthier we are. The other day when my kids had friends over I made a cheese sauce in a frying pan from a high quality cheese and some low-fat milk, then poured it over some macaroni. The kids were amazed - they honestly didn't know that you could get macaroni and cheese any way other than from a box. It probably took me no longer to cook that way - I had the sauce ready in the time it took the water to boil. Cooking rice in a low-sodium chicken broth and then adding some spices takes no longer at all than making Rice-a-roni, and it is far, far healthier. But folks have forgotten how to cook. They only know how to open a box and follow directions. It is amazing how much healthier we would be as a nation if we simply spent a little time in our own kitchens.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    That essay only partially backs up your point.
    Perhaps I should have been clearer -- I don't agree with that guy at all. Thats why I said 'advocacy'.

Soda IS terrible -- it is the definition of empty worthless calories.

But I thought the CEO (or his staff) did a great great job of framing the issue using select facts and glossing over others. It was a great advocacy essay.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    It is amazing how much healthier we would be as a nation if we simply spent a little time in our own kitchens.
    Exactly. I cook every night -- usually meals for 2 or 3 days, then pop them in the fridge.

Cooking is so fast once you get it down. And cheap. And healthy.