Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Fall TV: New Shows and Ratings discussion

So, what is everyone planning to check out this fall?

Flash Forward is a no brainer, as far as I am concerned. Big buzz and the pilot is supposed to be cool. I worry a bit about these high concept kinda mystery shows (did that show about the botched bank robbery ever finish? I gave up after about 4 episodes), but this one has everyone talking and ABC has been running promos for like 6 months.

The only other show that has me really excited is Modern Family. The pilot has critics raving and I sense little elements of The Office and Arrested Development in the promos I have seen so far.

My wife wants to check out Cougar Town from Scrubs creator Bill LAwrence and starring Courtney Cox. I like the boldness of the title. She also wants to watch The Good Wife with Julianna Maguiles. I like Chris Noth so I'll give it a shot but it seems like just another legal soap opera to me. If I am gonna watch legal drama, I'm just gonna go for L&O or SVU or (my favorite L&O show) Criminal Intent.

I haven't seen anything else that seems worth checking out. Other opinions?

--Jason "here is a preview of Flash Forward" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I've read the book that the show is apparently based on and found it interesting. I'll watch even if only to see if the tv show is as good as the written version.

House!

Of course. I can't wait to see the havoc he wreaks in the mental hospital.

I'm also taping the pilot of Glee tonight. I've heard it compares to Freaks and Geeks, which to me is the best show ever cancelled after one season.

Isn't there a new edition of "The Prisoner" starting in January?
    With the guy who played Jesus in Mel' Gibson's movie. Cavaziel?

• Community (The Soup guy)
    • Modern Family (Al Bundy)

I haven't seen any promos for FlashForward but I really don't watch ABC at all (especially now that the Goode Family has been canceled).

did that show about the botched bank robbery ever finish?
    "The Nine" and no it didn't. Call me crazy, but I still would like to know what happened.

Is there a good site out there that has a synopsis of all the new shows for this fall? I really haven't heard much buzz this year surrounding anything new this year other than Flash Forward.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post

I'm also taping the pilot of Glee tonight. I've heard it compares to Freaks and Geeks, which to me is the best show ever cancelled after one season.
    didnt they air the Glee pilot months ago? I remember watching it and then wondering what happened.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Can't wait for flashforward that's going to be my fix for lost once that's over.

glee

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    didnt they air the Glee pilot months ago? I remember watching it and then wondering what happened.
    Yeah, they first aired the pilot last spring after the final episode of American Idol (which ran 5 minutes long, causing my DVR to miss the last five minutes of Glee).

They re-ran the pilot last night (Sept. 2). The first episode of the new season will be next week (either the 8th or 9th).

As a Soup fan, I'm looking forward to 'Community' with Joel McHale. 'Bored to Death' on HBO also looks promising.

I think I need to spend some time going over my series schedule on my DVR.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Yeah, they first aired the pilot last spring after the final episode of American Idol (which ran 5 minutes long, causing my DVR to miss the last five minutes of Glee).

They re-ran the pilot last night (Sept. 2). The first episode of the new season will be next week (either the 8th or 9th).
    I just watched the pilot of Glee because it was written by a guy that posts on another board I read. Good show -- and not the kind of show I would usually watch. Maybe it's just the lead female singer -- she's a bomb. And I wish I could sing. It's about the only thing I can't do.

I wasn't that happy with Community. The guy from The Soup is a real dbag. Not the kind of protagonist I want to watch.

My wife and I love Glee. We were in the band, choir, show choir and all that in high school, so it just hits so close to home for us.

I thought Community wasn't that bad, the cast around Joel McHale made the show, not him. I'm super excited to see Flash Forward though, wondering if it can live up to the hype.

The only new show I am excited about is Glee.

The only two other shows are not new: House and Friday Night Lights, but the latter is not a fall show.

The first episode of Community wasn't great, but I am reminded that it took 30 Rock nearly half a season to work out the kinks. I'll keep watching.

BTW, not a new show, but the season premiere of It's Always Sunny was outstanding. I'm still laughing about Hugh Honey and Vic Vinegar... and bird law.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    BTW, not a new show, but the season premiere of It's Always Sunny was outstanding. I'm still laughing about Hugh Honey and Vic Vinegar... and bird law.
    Just an outstanding first episode. The show isn't for everyone, but man, what a riot.

Quote Originally Posted by YourLandlord View Post
    Just an outstanding first episode. The show isn't for everyone, but man, what a riot.
    I wonder what it is like to go through life like the characters on that show. I mean they are deplorable human beings, but they all (with the occasional exception of Charlie or Dee) seem supremely happy and content with their lives. Lesson to be learned?

Every time I even think about the "Extreme Home Makeover" episode I bust out laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by YourLandlord View Post
    This was the first episode that I've watched and thought it was hilarious..going to try and catch up on itunes or netflix...

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    This was the first episode that I've watched and thought it was hilarious..going to try and catch up on itunes or netflix...
    There are also a bunch on Hulu, but I don't think all the episodes are archived there anymore. I highly recommend the episodes, 'The Gang Gets Racist' and 'Underage Drinking'.