Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    I too want to like the show and usually DVR it but have forgotten the last couple weeks. Unfortunately I've not really missed it.

I am with all of you. I DVR it. I want to like it. But I just cannot get past how poorly plotted out this thing is. I want to see how it turns out and I celebrate the lousy ratings as I hope it means the show will be canceled soon and we can be given a proper ending to this mess.

As for last night's episode... sigh.

One of the central themes of the show is that your Flashforward is not just you viewing a scene. You actually feel everything you are experiencing in that moment. It is like you are actually there for that 137 seconds and you have all the memories, emotions, and knowledge of yourself as if you had lived and experienced everything up until that time.

The best demonstration of this is the intern who sees the Japanese woman walking into the restaurant. He knows her and has great emotions, love even, for her. So, how do you reconcile that with the fiance not knowing that she was at a funeral instead of a wedding? COME ON!!!!! What's more, in her FFwd there are many other people present-- friends, relatives, her fiance's parents. Are we supposed to believe that none of these people have contacted her or Kumar to say, "dude, I was at your funeral!!!" Are we supposed to think that his parents did not bother to tell him that they were at his funeral?!?!?! Are you serious!!!!!

It is these absurd departures from logic and the previously established facts of the show that are driving me crazy. Well, that and the fact that the overall plot of "who did it and why" are going nowhere.

Why hasn't Shakespeare spoken to his daughter about what she knows of D Gibbons? Why hasn't the FBI flown to freaking Somalia to investigate the towers? What on Earth was that ridiculous press conference where the scientists announced they had caused the Flash Forward but they did not even begin to explain what had happened or why or how their wave experiment (or whatever) had caused the planet to move forward in time-- I mean, come on people!?!?!?! Give the audience credit for having some brains, please!!!!

This show is starting to make Heroes (which I am proud to say I finally gave up on this season) seem like a well-constructed program.

What I find really unconscionable is that all these plot mistakes are totally unnecessary. All you have to do is decide on what your story is in advance and then TELL THAT STORY!!! Making it up as you go along, which is what I am convinced this show is doing, is never going to work in a mystery kinda show like this.

Do any of these show creators/show runners pay attention to the countless interviews given by JJ Abrams and Damon Lindelhoff where they talk about the fact that they plotted Lost out in advance? Lost continues to steam along as one of the best unfolding mystery show in TV history while these idiots are making stuff up as they go along. It is so frustrating.

You know what I think the problem is? If you plot things out in advance, as Lost did, then you put an outside limit upon how long you can tell your story. The Lost dudes knew they had about 4 or 5 seasons of story to tell. At the beginning of season 3, they went to ABC and begged the network to let them end the show in a few years. All these other shows are probably so eager to develop a story that will never end that they create something so lousy that the ratings tank and it goes away after 1 or 2 seasons.

Sad, it is just plain sad.

--Jason "anyone wanna bet that a certain out-of-work FBI agent will start hitting the bottle soon and that his wife will start thinking about leaving him as a result?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Is anyone watching tonight's episode?

I think this episode was a step in the right direction, i'm still not fully into the show though.

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome2DaSlopes View Post
    I think this episode was a step in the right direction, i'm still not fully into the show though.
    Agreed, they have a lot of bad will built up but I hope that the long break has given them the time to fix what was wrong.

I was not pleased with the drug-induced extra flashback recall that gave us, "there's going to be another flashforward." I suppose I cannot blame them for wanting to make sure they have enough story to carry forward for future seasons, but it is going to make the show extremely frustrating and I doubt folks will stick around.

Lost is a pretty unique situation and model. It takes a lot to string an audience along for multiple seasons without resolving your central mystery when the whole show is built around that mystery.

I am betting that this season ends with many of the moments we saw in the initial flashforward, giving us a partial resolution of those scenes. Then we will get a new flashforward next season. I am not sure how many people will stick around for that.

I am quite bothered that they appear to be messing with Simcoe's flashforward. They are adding stuff that Shakespeare saw but haev not explained why Simcoe did not discuss or know about these things too, when he was on the other end of the phone. It does not make sense.

The show is on borrowed time with me. It has been for a while.

-Jason "my wife actually said, 'this thing is only a small step above Heroes' when we were watching this week" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Wow, this week's episode was just really, really bad. The whole side-plot about Jerichoiburton and the KIA daughter is just awful. I could care less about the FBI chick who wants to get pregnant. I mean, last week featured this huge ending where Charlie/Pippen kills the bad guy and then this week we get nothing that matters except the decision to investigate the dead crows... blech!!

My wife went from, "I am starting to like this," to "I want to drop this show" in the span of one episode. Whew!!

And the preview for next week is all about Shakespeare's daughter and her vision. Ooooooooh, I can't wait.

On a scale from 1 to 10, this episode gets a negative 3.

--Jason "pleas cancel this thing so we can get a satisfactory ending soon!!" Evans

This week episode was actually pretty good, the ending got me moreso than anything else.

Dr. Bryce is a Dukie! I actually don't hate the show. It's ridiculous at times, but I can't be a lost apologist (at this point) and then bag on Flash Forward. I liked the 3/30 episode quite a bit for both the developments with D. Gibbons in Somalia and the CIA agent's apparent role in Mark's death.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    ...and the CIA agent's apparent role in Mark's death.
    I'm not convinced the CIA agent had a role in Mark's death yet. Possibly... but he may have just been part of/checking on a protection detail assigned to Mark's house and family, or to Simcoe.

Quote Originally Posted by PensDevil View Post
    I'm not convinced the CIA agent had a role in Mark's death yet. Possibly... but he may have just been part of/checking on a protection detail assigned to Mark's house and family, or to Simcoe.
    I agree. I am not convinced yet either. When I said "apparent," I meant "as suggested in the last episode." I think they were trying to make us question whether Vogel's a bad guy.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    I agree. I am not convinced yet either. When I said "apparent," I meant "as suggested in the last episode." I think they were trying to make us question whether Vogel's a bad guy.
    Especially because they showed that scene and then they prompted did a promo that talks all about finding a mole in the FBI investigation.

The show does fine when it sticks to the investigation and the substantive stuff about the blackout. When they vefnture into BS about the personal lives of the characters (especially the side characters like the phone-line repairman and his daughter or the folks who work in the hospital) it really struggles.

-Jason "I am very 'meh, whatever' on this show right now" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Especially because they showed that scene and then they prompted did a promo that talks all about finding a mole in the FBI investigation.
    Interesting. I always watch the show on Hulu, so I don't get the promo piece of it.

Flashforward

Jeez, it's been awhile. Gotta play a game of catch up here....

I have a few thoughts to add to this:

John Cho's character I am suspicious of. I am not sure why exactly other than the fact that at the time of the blackout, he and Bedford were in a high-speed chase and flipped the car.
    Bedford woke up, hanging upside down of course, and groggy. But Demitri was already awake and running after whomever they were chasing. How did he wake up so fast not to mention get out of the car and take off? Did he really not see anything in his flashforward or maybe just not saying anything. Perhaps he is (or will be) involved with those responsible. Or perhaps one of the few that didn't see a flashforward because they never konked out in the first place.

I also find that all of the flashforwards are subjective and open to interpretation. Many that have been shared so far could, in my opinion, be interpreted so many different ways.

What if someone was asleep in the flashforward. Would they see themselves asleep? What if they were in a coma or otherwise incapacitated?

April 29th, it is my understanding from various online sites, that the writers had initially wrote things for the program to coincide with the actual date. But a few technical aspects came up that made it not possible.

Anyone still watching..I'm about ready to give up (and the same goes for V, another show which I really wanted to like). The acting and writing has become ridiculous in my opinion. You know it's a problem when the characters need to explain the plot to the audience. It's also clear that they've done a total rewrite to try and extend the show beyond this season. I think this could be a really good show and there are glimpses but they are now overwhelmed by the more ridiculous parts..

A bit of a side note but one big issue I have with both FF and V is the pace of the show..everything seems accelerated but, unlike shows like 24, there is no real need for things to happen this fast. Maybe I've just watched too much Lost over the past 6 months..

I'm still watching it, but not critically. Since I don't really care too much about the details, I kind of enjoy it.

Ratings have tumbled for FFwd and V. The word out of HWood is that ABC wants to keep one of them, but is not sure which. It is still very possible that both of them will be given the axe. It is quite unlikely both will return.

I have grown frustrated and angry with both of these shows, though I continue to watch out of a desire to see where they are going. Neither of them feel like they are particularly well-planned and the scripts/acting is pathetic on both of them.

I suppose FFwd bothers me more than V because there is a mystery and an evil plot at the center of FFwd moreso than in V. Last night's episode, with D.Gibbons/Dyson Frost dying in Mark's arms was just pathetic. It started out very promissing -- I really enjoyed Frost's explanation of how future events want to happen and some of the stuff he talked about regarding seeing different paths -- but was just inane by the end.

I hate that Mark's wife jumped into bed with Simcoe. That made no sense at all. I am still not clear on why Mark moved out or if they still love each other. It is baffling and rushed and just does not make sense.

Here is the problem -- by telling us so much of what was supposed to happen, they had to then explain why it would happen. Ok, I am cool with that. But, it feels to me like they had not decided what path to take in doing that and, as a result, much of what happens feels forced and unreal and just does not make sense.

Oh, and every ounce of story involving Jericho and the intern who is trying to meet the Japanese woman is worthless and a waste of time.

What makes me really angry is that the show is not going to be cancelled in time for them to give us a moderately satisfying ending. Grrrr.

--Jason "why am I still watching?!?!" Evans

Not sure anyone is still watching (aside from me -- and I mostly watch out of disgust) but Flashforward has been officially not renewed for next season. ABC made the decision fairly recently which means we will get some big cliffhanger next week (the season finale) which will never get resolved. The producers were hoping to get renewed up until the last moment and reportedly did not resolve much of anything in the season finale.

Sigh.

As an aside, for any of you who are still watching, how many of the FlashForwards are going to come true? Aside from the dude in Afghanistan, it would seem that most of them are far, far, far away from actually happening because people know about them and are making sure other things happen.

And when did Dmitri sleep with the double-agent chick to get her pregnant? I recall he offered to sleep with her when they were in Somalia but she said she was already preggers.

--Jason "V has been renewed - it won the 'least ugly sci-fi show on ABC' contest" Evans

I'm still watching it and actually mad that it's not renewed...it definitely sucked me and my roommate in. I don't think a lot of flashforwards are going to happen, but I think the cliffhanger is going to be whether Mark lives.

As for Janis and Demetri, I believe Somalia is actually when it happened. She told him she was preggers after his "bachelor party" when she put him in a cab to send him home.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    I'm still watching it and actually mad that it's not renewed...it definitely sucked me and my roommate in. I don't think a lot of flashforwards are going to happen, but I think the cliffhanger is going to be whether Mark lives.

As for Janis and Demetri, I believe Somalia is actually when it happened. She told him she was preggers after his "bachelor party" when she put him in a cab to send him home.
    I am in Jason's camp. I was going to finish the year out and not pick it up again next year, renewed or not. We are complaining about Lost in another thread, but this show... ugh... this show... It's everything Lost, and other good TV isn't. Expository dialogue, telegraphing twists then acting like they are some huge surprise, treating its viewers like children, no real motivation for its characters, especially the villains that get introduced and killed off at a rate that would make 24 blush.

"What is that?" (video of a man walking around during blackout). "It's a man. He's awake during the blackout! He must be a part of the consipracy!" Cue "surprise" music.

This show is one step away from one of the characters breaking the fourth wall and asking the audience, "Are you still with us? Did you see what just happened there? Let me explain..."

Edited to add -- -by the way, Fringe is REALLY good right now.

Ugh. It hasn't been very good, but I've been watching it all this time hoping it would pick up, and also because I felt like I had watched so much already that I couldn't just drop it.

At this point I'll watch to see how they conclude it, but I really don't care what happens now. If they had a second season they could have had another blackout and started gradually solving the puzzle, but I'm not optimistic that anything will get resolved satisfactorily with the last episode being next week. This is just like a show I started watching in '07 called "Traveler" that they ended 8 shows in...just a bunch of strings hanging.

I doubt that anyone's flash forward comes totally true...something will happen with the guy in Afghanistan so that all is not what it was in his flash forward.