Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Not a good sign that I saw the TV preview for this and my first thought was, "my goodness, that looks as bad as Transporter 2, with even worse special effects." I mean, at least Jason Statham was still good-lookin' and drove a nice car.
    Hey, Transporter 2 was entertaining, in its way. I'm not quite sure how Die Hard will turn out, but some of the stunts look ridiculous. What I liked about Transporter 2 was that it (although not as well as the first) understood that it had to make fun of itself. I don't know that Die Hard does that.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Not a good sign that I saw the TV preview for this and my first thought was, "my goodness, that looks as bad as Transporter 2, with even worse special effects." I mean, at least Jason Statham was still good-lookin' and drove a nice car.
    Hey! I actually liked the previews for this movie! The mindless action flick will always have a place near and dear to my wallet

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    Hey, Transporter 2 was entertaining, in its way. I'm not quite sure how Die Hard will turn out, but some of the stunts look ridiculous. What I liked about Transporter 2 was that it (although not as well as the first) understood that it had to make fun of itself. I don't know that Die Hard does that.
    Are you kidding?

The trailers for Die Hard that I've seen appear to be totally tongue-in-cheek.

Take the scene where McCain drives the car up the ramp, jumps off, then the car slams into a hovering helicopter. Totally unrealistic, obviously. Then we have a quick clip of an excited kid screaming, "Man, you just knocked down that chopper with your car!" and a weary McCain answers, "I was out of bullets."

The trailers make me think the film is going to be totally and intentionally over the top. In fact, I was almost ready to post something about how the Die Hard trailer is the only one I've seen this summer that made me more interested in seeing the movie (with the possible exception of Transformers, where a good trailer has given me at least a little curiosity about a movie I would never see).

But, as I've noted many times, I seem to be way out of touch with the core demographic -- no interest in Spiderman, Pirates or Shrek. I am looking forward to seeing Waitress ...

Umm...

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Take the scene where McCain drives the car up the ramp, jumps off, then the car slams into a hovering helicopter. Totally unrealistic, obviously. Then we have a quick clip of an excited kid screaming, "Man, you just knocked down that chopper with your car!" and a weary McCain answers, "I was out of bullets."
    I think you mean "McClane."

Tho, thanks for the mental picture that this guy:

is taking out helicopters with cars.

He must be ticked that his newest Republican challenger was actually IN a Die Hard movie...

As for Robin Williams, you didn't mention my three favorites from him - Dead Poets society (it hit me at the perfect age), Good Will Hunting and The Fisher King.

I don't think the Fisher King did that well, but it was an excellent movie - it wove the Arthurian legend in an incredibly unique way, with Terry Gilliam directing. Probably one of my top ten movies of all time.

Williams sems to be a big swinger - he wither hits a home run or strikes out. I am hard-pressed to think of a simply 'ok' movie from him.

Exiled

I am surprised at Pirates' success

since it is such a jumbled mess.

The only thing worthwhile was the intro by Disney which, while disconnected from the movie's plot (plot?), was subtle slam against governments which have been taking away some basic human rights: trial by jury, habeas corpus, etc. You think the Bush administration took notice?

As for the movie itself, it ain't worth the price of a matinee ticket. It tries to make up for lack of any coherency with some supposedly fantastic special effects. I was totally unimpressed with the Shipwreck Island overview. It was too obviously a model. The maelstrom was a good idea, but ultimately a theatrical failure, IMO. And, the music drove me nuts.