Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Derek Jeter

Agreed....

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Because the Braves are now a corporate unit, rather than a stand-alone team, they have a rather strictly dictated operating budget (something like an $80-85 million yearly payroll).
    As for personnel, I don't really think 1B & LF are quite the problems that many think they are. In left, Matt Diaz put up nice numbers last season, and I expect him to perform to roughly his past standards. Langerhans right now is an unmitigated disaster, but if he keeps this up for much longer, he'll get benched. As for 1B, I think Scott Thorman is a fine player. He's certainly better in my book than that slack-jawed loafer Adam LaRoche, my least-favorite Brave ever (who, by the way, is currently batting a sizzling .098 for Pittsburgh).

The Braves are going to be in the mix all season. I think the offense is plenty good right now; Kelly Johnson has been a near-revelation leading off (OBP of something like .420), Francoeur has seemingly grown up some (batting just a hair south of .300, NL leader in RBI), Chipper's his old self (batting .320 or so...just please stay healthy), McCann is one of the three or four best offensive catchers in the game, Renteria is as solid as they come, and Andruw hasn't even gotten going yet (and eventually, he absolutely will). In my book, that's plenty of offense.

If we're going to go after anything anytime soon, I want it to be a starting pitcher. Smoltz & Hudson look great so far, and Chuck James also appears to be the real deal. But Kyle Davies is still highly unpredictable, and Redman is terrible. Perhaps Lance Cormier's return will shore up the situation some, but one more dependable starter would really solidify the whole team. With the bullpen we've now got, 2 very good-to-great starters and another 2 good-to-very good ones would place the Braves among MLB's elite, imo (although I don't think they're too far off in their current iteration).
    We definetly need another starting pitcher. Redman is AWFUL and surely we have someone better in the minors than him don't we???

Not necessarily. As I understand it, most of our depth on the farm is in the 'pen. In fact, I think starting pitching is the greatest weakness of the Braves' farm system (which is admittedly among the best in baseball). On the other hand, we have a number of potential bargaining chips at other positions--the best depth of any organization at catcher, for example.

Well....

I say we make a move for a starting pitcher because almost ANYBODY is better than Redman at this point.

yanks

ok, hit the panic button

No, it is not

Quote Originally Posted by dbb03 View Post
    ok, hit the panic button
    Yankees captain Derek Jeter said it was too early to panic.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com