Thread: Derek Jeter

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Derek Jeter

Saw this in the New York Times today and it's pretty amazing:

Jeter has hit safely in 53 of his last 55 games. Other than Joe Dimaggio, the only other player to go a span of 56 with two or less hitless games is Ed Delahanty, who did it in in 1899.

That's obviously getting lost right now in all the A-Rod hysteria, as well it should because the guy is as hot as can be right now, on pace for 126 HRs and over 300 RBIs - and it's not like they've played 5 games - almost 10% of the season is over.

Still the Yankees look dead right now. Forget about the injuries to their pitching staff and Matsui and Posada, they are just playing with very little life or enthusiasm (except when A-Rod hits a walk-off). Jeter is not a rah-rah kind of leader. What I'd like to see is Damon and Giambi pick up the mantle as vocal, kick you in the http://www.dukebasketballreport.comh...ballreport.com kind of clubhouse leaders and light a fire under this team. There can be a drawback to having too many buttoned up, professional type players (e.g. Jeter, Pettitte, Posada, Matsui, Rivera, Cano, Abreu) in that sometimes they seem to be playing without passion - I really think the team needs some of that right now.

I hate to admit it but the Sports Guy was right on in his blog yesterday when he wrote:

"where's the fire? Who's kicking over chairs in the clubhouse after a sweep? Who's screaming at Dice from the dugout after his second HBP? It's a soft team. It really is. They might need to triple Kyle Farnsworth's caffeine intake before next weekend."
    Last edited by mr. synellinden; 04-24-2007 at 04:34 PM.